Coffee!!!

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by TheCopperHat, Nov 12, 2010.

1. TheCopperHat

TheCopperHat Member

I consider myself relatively new to the world of coffee. For the last 23 odd years I've hated even the smell of it. I've also found I can be a little on the slow side with a lack of motivation on some fronts or easily distracted. I find that since starting on the drip, my body now seems to keep up to the speed my mind works and I achieve so much more in a day. I'm less distracted, able to focus better. I'm also diagnosed ADD but coffee seems to help. I dunno if this is a regular side effect of coffee anyone else notices but honestly I'm glad I started drinking it!

On that note I believe it's time for a fill up!

2. Dslazar9

Dslazar9 Took the Menthol-cratic Oath

As a life-long coffee addict I'm passionate about every aspect of
    my coffee, including the mental advantage. Also a physician I've
    read with great interest all of the studies over the years looking
    at health issues related to coffee. It's mostly good news. Even studies
    designed to look for various health hazards from coffee have largely
    failed to show any. There was a study showing some increased stomach
    and intestinal issues with massive qualities, but no heart, Cancer, or blood pressure effects. There is some indication that it helps ward off Diabetes and some less impressive studies have shown it can prevent Parkinson's Disease and Alzheimer's Disease. Studies have shown that coffee improves short term memory, concentration, and ability to do tasks that require concentration-yes that would definitely help with ADD. There are some other
    health benefits shown from coffee but from smaller studies that I do not recall. Ok that's probably way more than anybody wanted to read about coffee but this is of great interest to me. One final thing, IMHO the best coffee on earth is Intelligentsia-it's a Chicago based Roaster.

3. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I have several family members with ADD or ADHD. Coffee is the best thing you can do for these conditions from what I've seen. The ADHD nieces I have are downright annoying if they don't have a cup o' joe every day.

4. TheCopperHat

TheCopperHat Member

Danny,

Thanks alot for the good info. Being as I said fairly fresh to this coffee world I didn't realize there were that many studies devoted to it. A foolish thought I suppose but still. I would be more then interested if you had any links for some of the studies as I quite enjoy reading up on them.

Erik, Isn't it funny though, traditional knowledge teaches one to believe that coffee causes energy overdose, you would think that's the absolute last thing a person with ADHD could ever want.

5. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

On the ADD thing... a long time ago, I dated a woman with a son who had the ADD really bad and nothing seemed to help him. His mother took him to a holistic center and they told her to switch him from cow milk to goat milk. Once switched, the kid was completely different.

6. TheCopperHat

TheCopperHat Member

I've heard that before and made the switch myself. Didn't notice a difference personally. YMMV kinda thing. There is alot of belief that some forms of ADD are caused by food alergies or excess hormones etc in certain foods.

7. Adeptus_Minor

Adeptus_Minor Active Member

Considering that ADHD is most often treated with pharmaceutical stimulants, it's hardly surprising to me.

I've been a black coffee drinker since I was ~2 yrs old. (blame my grandparents!)
    I don't really feel like I get many of the mind-sharpening benefits anymore due to having built up a tolerance. However, I consider it a benign (divine?) addiction. :cool:

8. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

A long time ago when ADD/ADHD were the super hot topics and ritalin wasn't something everyone had heard of, one of the symptoms that were mentioned for ADD/ADHD is that stimulants such as caffeine have a calming, focusing affect on those people. In fact, ritalin is actually a stimulant. The way I have always figured it is that I have been self dosing for ADD issues since I was old enough to be able to have caffeine.

So your comments ring quite true to the experiences I have heard from many others...

9. Dslazar9

Sorry this is obscenely long but links will not work from this site. If you send me your email address it will let me do a personal email-it's from a site called
    "uptodate.com." IMHO-best medical reference site. It's expensive but there's a free part that's geared towards the public.

1. Grigg, D. The worlds of tea and coffee: Patterns of consumption. Geojournal 2002; 57:283.
    2. Anonymous (2006) Tea Fact Sheet. Tea association of the USA, Inc. Available at www.teausa.com/general/teafactsheet-updated2-10-06.pdf. (Accessed February 22, 2008).
    3. Reissig, CJ, Strain, EC, Griffiths, RR. Caffeinated energy drinks--a growing problem. Drug Alcohol Depend 2009; 99:1.
    4. Arnlov, J, Vessby, B, Riserus, U. Coffee consumption and insulin sensitivity. Jama 2004; 291:1199.
    5. Renouf, M, Marmet, C, Guy, P, et al. Nondairy creamer, but not milk, delays the appearance of coffee phenolic acid equivalents in human plasma. J Nutr 2010; 140:259.
    6. Lorenz, M, Jochmann, N, von Krosigk, A, et al. Addition of milk prevents vascular protective effects of tea. Eur Heart J 2007; 28:219.
    7. Olthof, MR, Hollman, PC, Katan, MB. Chlorogenic acid and caffeic acid are absorbed in humans. J Nutr 2001; 131:66.
    8. Cornelis, MC, El-Sohemy, A, Kabagambe, EK, Campos, H. Coffee, CYP1A2 genotype, and risk of myocardial infarction. Jama 2006; 295:1135.
    9. Fredholm, BB, Battig, K, Holmen, J, et al. Actions of caffeine in the brain with special reference to factors that contribute to its widespread use. Pharmacol Rev 1999; 51:83.
    10. Olthof, MR, Hollman, PC, Zock, PL, Katan, MB. Consumption of high doses of chlorogenic acid, present in coffee, or of black tea increases plasma total homocysteine concentrations in humans. Am J Clin Nutr 2001; 73:532.
    11. Saw, SM. Homocysteine and atherosclerotic disease: the epidemiologic evidence. Ann Acad Med Singapore 1999; 28:565.
    12. Lee, WJ, Zhu, BT. Inhibition of DNA methylation by caffeic acid and chlorogenic acid, two common catechol-containing coffee polyphenols. Carcinogenesis 2006; 27:269.
    13. Jayasuriya, H, Herath, KB, Ondeyka, JG, et al. Diterpenoid, steroid, and triterpenoid agonists of liver X receptors from diversified terrestrial plants and marine sources. J Nat Prod 2005; 68:1247.
    14. Cavin, C, Marin-Kuan, M, Langouet, S, et al. Induction of Nrf2-mediated cellular defenses and alteration of phase I activities as mechanisms of chemoprotective effects of coffee in the liver. Food and Chemical Toxicology In Press, Corrected Proof.
    15. Corti, R, Binggeli, C, Sudano, I, et al. Coffee acutely increases sympathetic nerve activity and blood pressure independently of caffeine content: role of habitual versus nonhabitual drinking. Circulation 2002; 106:2935.
    16. Richelle, M, Tavazzi, I, Offord, E. Comparison of the antioxidant activity of commonly consumed polyphenolic beverages (coffee, cocoa, and tea) prepared per cup serving. J Agric Food Chem 2001; 49:3438.
    17. Yen, WJ, Wang, BS, Chang, LW, Duh, PD. Antioxidant properties of roasted coffee residues. J Agric Food Chem 2005; 53:2658.
    18. Smith, A. Effects of caffeine on human behavior. Food Chem Toxicol 2002; 40:1243.
    19. Lorist, MM, Snel, J, Kok, A, Mulder, G. Influence of caffeine on selective attention in well-rested and fatigued subjects. Psychophysiology 1994; 31:525.
    20. Ker, K, Edwards, PJ, Felix, LM, et al. Caffeine for the prevention of injuries and errors in shift workers. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2010; 5:CD008508.
    21. Goldstein, J, Silberstein, SD, Saper, JR, et al. Acetaminophen, aspirin, and caffeine in combination versus ibuprofen for acute migraine: results from a multicenter, double-blind, randomized, parallel-group, single-dose, placebo-controlled study. Headache 2006; 46:444.
    22. Bigal, ME, Sheftell, FD, Rapoport, AM, et al. Chronic daily headache: identification of factors associated with induction and transformation. Headache 2002; 42:575.
    23. Ragonese, P, Salemi, G, Morgante, L, et al. A case-control study on cigarette, alcohol, and coffee consumption preceding Parkinson's disease. Neuroepidemiology 2003; 22:297.
    24. Abbott, RD, Ross, GW, White, LR, et al. Environmental, life-style, and physical precursors of clinical Parkinson's disease: recent findings from the Honolulu-Asia Aging Study. J Neurol 2003; 250 Suppl 3:III30.
    25. Hernan, MA, Takkouche, B, Caamano-Isorna, F, Gestal-Otero, JJ. A meta-analysis of coffee drinking, cigarette smoking, and the risk of Parkinson's disease. Ann Neurol 2002; 52:276.
    26. Ascherio, A, Weisskopf, MG, O'Reilly, EJ, et al. Coffee consumption, gender, and Parkinson's disease mortality in the cancer prevention study II cohort: the modifying effects of estrogen. Am J Epidemiol 2004; 160:977.
    27. Ascherio, A, Chen, H, Schwarzschild, MA, et al. Caffeine, postmenopausal estrogen, and risk of Parkinson's disease. Neurology 2003; 60:790.
    28. Barranco Quintana, JL, Allam, MF, Serrano Del, Castillo A, Fernandez-Crehuet Navajas, R. Alzheimer's disease and coffee: a quantitative review. Neurol Res 2007; 29:91.
    29. Arendash, GW, Schleif, W, Rezai-Zadeh, K, et al. Caffeine protects Alzheimer's mice against cognitive impairment and reduces brain [beta]-amyloid production. Neuroscience 2006; 142:941.
    30. Griffiths, RR. Principles of Addiction Medicine. Graham, AW (Ed), 2003. p.193.
    31. Uhde, TW. Neurobiology of Panic Disorder. Ballenger, JC (Ed). p.219.
    32. Bruce, M, Scott, N, Shine, P, Lader, M. Anxiogenic effects of caffeine in patients with anxiety disorders. Arch Gen Psychiatry 1992; 49:867.
    33. Kendler, KS, Myers, J, O Gardner, C. Caffeine intake, toxicity and dependence and lifetime risk for psychiatric and substance use disorders: an epidemiologic and co-twin control analysis. Psychol Med 2006; 36:1717.
    34. van Dam, RM, Pasman, WJ, Verhoef, P. Effects of Coffee Consumption on Fasting Blood Glucose and Insulin Concentrations: Randomized controlled trials in healthy volunteers. Diabetes Care 2004; 27:2990.
    35. Keijzers, GB, De Galan, BE, Tack, CJ, Smits, P. Caffeine can decrease insulin sensitivity in humans. Diabetes Care 2002; 25:364.
    36. Lane, JD, Feinglos, MN, Surwit, RS. Caffeine Increases Ambulatory Glucose and Postprandial Responses in Coffee Drinkers With Type 2 Diabetes. Diabetes Care 2008; 31:221.
    37. van Dam, RM, Feskens, EJ. Coffee consumption and risk of type 2 diabetes mellitus. Lancet 2002; 360:1477.
    38. Rosengren, A, Dotevall, A, Wilhelmsen, L, et al. Coffee and incidence of diabetes in Swedish women: a prospective 18-year follow-up study. J Intern Med 2004; 255:89.
    39. van Dam, RM, Willett, WC, Manson, JE, Hu, FB. Coffee, caffeine, and risk of type 2 diabetes: a prospective cohort study in younger and middle-aged U.S. women. Diabetes Care 2006; 29:398.
    40. Pereira, MA, Parker, ED, Folsom, AR. Coffee consumption and risk of type 2 diabetes mellitus: an 11-year prospective study of 28 812 postmenopausal women. Arch Intern Med 2006; 166:1311.
    41. Iso, H, Date, C, Wakai, K, et al. The relationship between green tea and total caffeine intake and risk for self-reported type 2 diabetes among Japanese adults. Ann Intern Med 2006; 144:554.
    42. Salazar-Martinez, E, Willett, WC, Ascherio, A, et al. Coffee consumption and risk for type 2 diabetes mellitus. Ann Intern Med 2004; 140:1.
    43. MacKenzie, T, Comi, R, Sluss, P, et al. Metabolic and hormonal effects of caffeine: randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled crossover trial. Metabolism 2007; 56:1694.
    44. Williams, CJ, Fargnoli, JL, Hwang, JJ, et al. Coffee consumption is associated with higher plasma adiponectin concentrations in women with or without type 2 diabetes: a prospective cohort study. Diabetes Care 2008; 31:504.
    45. Egawa, T, Hamada, T, Kameda, N, et al. Caffeine acutely activates 5'adenosine monophosphate-activated protein kinase and increases insulin-independent glucose transport in rat skeletal muscles. Metabolism 2009; 58:1609.
    46. Park, S, Jang, JS, Hong, SM. Long-term consumption of caffeine improves glucose homeostasis by enhancing insulinotropic action through islet insulin/insulin-like growth factor 1 signaling in diabetic rats. Metabolism 2007; 56:599.
    47. Huxley, R, Lee, CM, Barzi, F, et al. Coffee, decaffeinated coffee, and tea consumption in relation to incident type 2 diabetes mellitus: A systematic review with meta-analysis. Arch Intern Med 2009; 169:2053.
    48. Zhang, WL, Lopez-Garcia, E, Li, TY, et al. Coffee consumption and risk of cardiovascular events and all-cause mortality among women with type 2 diabetes. Diabetologia 2009; 52:810.
    49. Murakami, K, Okubo, H, Sasaki, S. Dietary intake in relation to self-reported constipation among Japanese women aged 18-20 years. Eur J Clin Nutr 2006; 60:650.
    50. Klatsky, AL, Morton, C, Udaltsova, N, Friedman, GD. Coffee, cirrhosis, and transaminase enzymes. Arch Intern Med 2006; 166:1190.
    51. Boehm, K, Borrelli, F, Ernst, E, et al. Green tea (Camellia sinensis) for the prevention of cancer. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2009; :CD005004.
    52. Nkondjock, A, Ghadirian, P, Kotsopoulos, J, et al. Coffee consumption and breast cancer risk among BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutation carriers. Int J Cancer 2006; 118:103.
    53. Baker, JA, Beehler, GP, Sawant, AC, et al. Consumption of coffee, but not black tea, is associated with decreased risk of premenopausal breast cancer. J Nutr 2006; 136:166.
    54. Hirvonen, T, Mennen, LI, de Bree, A, et al. Consumption of antioxidant-rich beverages and risk for breast cancer in French women. Ann Epidemiol 2006; 16:503.
    55. Ishitani, K, Lin, J, Manson, JE, et al. Caffeine consumption and the risk of breast cancer in a large prospective cohort of women. Arch Intern Med 2008; 168:2022.
    56. Tang, N, Wu, Y, Ma, J, et al. Coffee consumption and risk of lung cancer: a meta-analysis. Lung Cancer 2010; 67:17.
    57. Tang, N, Wu, Y, Zhou, B, et al. Green tea, black tea consumption and risk of lung cancer: a meta-analysis. Lung Cancer 2009; 65:274.
    58. Bravi, F, Scotti, L, Bosetti, C, et al. Coffee drinking and endometrial cancer risk: a metaanalysis of observational studies. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2009; 200:130.
    59. Zeegers, MP, Tan, FE, Goldbohm, RA, van den, Brandt PA. Are coffee and tea consumption associated with urinary tract cancer risk? A systematic review and meta-analysis. Int J Epidemiol 2001; 30:353.
    60. Pelucchi, C, La Vecchia, C. Alcohol, coffee, and bladder cancer risk: a review of epidemiological studies. Eur J Cancer Prev 2009; 18:62.
    61. Villanueva, CM, Silverman, DT, Murta-Nascimento, C, et al. Coffee consumption, genetic susceptibility and bladder cancer risk. Cancer Causes Control 2009; 20:121.
    62. Lee, AH, Fraser, ML, Binns, CW. Tea, coffee and prostate cancer. Mol Nutr Food Res 2009; 53:256.
    63. Kurahashi, N, Sasazuki, S, Iwasaki, M, et al. Green tea consumption and prostate cancer risk in Japanese men: a prospective study. Am J Epidemiol 2008; 167:71.
    64. Severson, RK, Nomura, AM, Grove, JS, Stemmermann, GN. A prospective study of demographics, diet, and prostate cancer among men of Japanese ancestry in Hawaii. Cancer Res 1989; 49:1857.
    65. Bettuzzi, S, Brausi, M, Rizzi, F, et al. Chemoprevention of human prostate cancer by oral administration of green tea catechins in volunteers with high-grade prostate intraepithelial neoplasia: a preliminary report from a one-year proof-of-principle study. Cancer Res 2006; 66:1234.
    66. Rapuri, PB, Gallagher, JC, Kinyamu, HK, Ryschon, KL. Caffeine intake increases the rate of bone loss in elderly women and interacts with vitamin D receptor genotypes. Am J Clin Nutr 2001; 74:694.
    67. Harris, SS, Dawson-Hughes, B. Caffeine and bone loss in healthy postmenopausal women. Am J Clin Nutr 1994; 60:573.
    68. Korpelainen, R, Korpelainen, J, Heikkinen, J, et al. Lifestyle factors are associated with osteoporosis in lean women but not in normal and overweight women: a population-based cohort study of 1222 women. Osteoporos Int 2003; 14:34.
    69. Kanis, JA, Johnell, O, Oden, A, et al. Ten-year risk of osteoporotic fracture and the effect of risk factors on screening strategies. Bone 2002; 30:251.
    70. Cauley, JA, Hochberg, MC, Lui, LY, et al. Long-term risk of incident vertebral fractures. JAMA 2007; 298:2761.
    71. De Laet, CE, Van Hout, BA, Burger, H, et al. Hip fracture prediction in elderly men and women: validation in the Rotterdam study. J Bone Miner Res 1998; 13:1587.
    72. Hallstrom, H, Wolk, A, Glynn, A, Michaelsson, K. Coffee, tea and caffeine consumption in relation to osteoporotic fracture risk in a cohort of Swedish women. Osteoporos Int 2006; 17:1055.
    73. Hegarty, VM, May, HM, Khaw, KT. Tea drinking and bone mineral density in older women. Am J Clin Nutr 2000; 71:1003.
    74. Devine, A, Hodgson, JM, Dick, IM, Prince, RL. Tea drinking is associated with benefits on bone density in older women. Am J Clin Nutr 2007; 86:1243.
    75. Chen, Z, Pettinger, MB, Ritenbaugh, C, et al. Habitual tea consumption and risk of osteoporosis: a prospective study in the women's health initiative observational cohort. Am J Epidemiol 2003; 158:772.
    76. Mikuls, TR, Cerhan, JR, Criswell, LA, et al. Coffee, tea, and caffeine consumption and risk of rheumatoid arthritis: results from the Iowa Women's Health Study. Arthritis Rheum 2002; 46:83.
    77. Pedersen, M, Stripp, C, Klarlund, M, et al. Diet and risk of rheumatoid arthritis in a prospective cohort. J Rheumatol 2005; 32:1249.
    78. Karlson, EW, Mandl, LA, Aweh, GN, Grodstein, F. Coffee consumption and risk of rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Rheum 2003; 48:3055.
    79. Choi, HK, Curhan, G. Coffee, tea, and caffeine consumption and serum uric acid level: The third national health and nutrition examination survey. Arthritis Rheum 2007; 57:816.
    80. Choi, HK, Willett, W, Curhan, G. Coffee consumption and risk of incident gout in men: A prospective study. Arthritis Rheum 2007; 56:2049.
    81. Bird, ET, Parker, BD, Kim, HS, Coffield, KS. Caffeine ingestion and lower urinary tract symptoms in healthy volunteers. Neurourol Urodyn 2005; 24:611.
    82. Bryant, CM, Dowell, CJ, Fairbrother, G. Caffeine reduction education to improve urinary symptoms. Br J Nurs 2002; 11:560.
    83. Burke, LM. Caffeine and sports performance. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab 2008; 33:1319.
    84. Jenkinson, DM, Harbert, AJ. Supplements and sports. Am Fam Physician 2008; 78:1039.
    85. Birkett, DJ, Miners, JO. Caffeine renal clearance and urine caffeine concentrations during steady state dosing. Implications for monitoring caffeine intake during sports events. Br J Clin Pharmacol 1991; 31:405.
    86. Happonen, P, Laara, E, Hiltunen, L, Luukinen, H. Coffee consumption and mortality in a 14-year follow-up of an elderly northern Finnish population. Br J Nutr 2007; :1.
    87. Paganini-Hill, A, Kawas, CH, Corrada, MM. Non-alcoholic beverage and caffeine consumption and mortality: the Leisure World Cohort Study. Prev Med 2007; 44:305.
    88. Woodward, M, Tunstall-Pedoe, H. Coffee and tea consumption in the Scottish Heart Health Study follow up: conflicting relations with coronary risk factors, coronary disease, and all cause mortality. J Epidemiol Community Health 1999; 53:481.
    89. Jazbec, A, Simic, D, Corovic, N, et al. Impact of coffee and other selected factors on general mortality and mortality due to cardiovascular disease in Croatia. J Health Popul Nutr 2003; 21:332.
    90. Iwai, N, Ohshiro, H, Kurozawa, Y, et al. Relationship between coffee and green tea consumption and all-cause mortality in a cohort of a rural Japanese population. J Epidemiol 2002; 12:191.
    91. Lopez-Garcia, E, van Dam, RM, Willett, WC, et al. Coffee consumption and coronary heart disease in men and women: a prospective cohort study. Circulation 2006; 113:2045.
    92. Lopez-Garcia, E, van Dam, RM, Li, TY, et al. The relationship of coffee consumption with mortality. Ann Intern Med 2008; 148:904.
    93. Sugiyama, K, Kuriyama, S, Akhter, M, et al. Coffee consumption and mortality due to all causes, cardiovascular disease, and cancer in Japanese women. J Nutr 2010; 140:1007.
    94. Zhang, W, Lopez-Garcia, E, Li, TY, et al. Coffee consumption and risk of cardiovascular diseases and all-cause mortality among men with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care 2009; 32:1043.
    95. Satel, S. Is caffeine addictive?--a review of the literature. Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse 2006; 32:493.
    96. Hughes, JR, Oliveto, AH, Helzer, JE, et al. Should caffeine abuse, dependence, or withdrawal be added to DSM-IV and ICD-10?. Am J Psychiatry 1992; 149:33.
    97. Juliano, LM, Griffiths, RR. A critical review of caffeine withdrawal: empirical validation of symptoms and signs, incidence, severity, and associated features. Psychopharmacology (Berl) 2004; 176:1.
    98. Nehlig, A. Are we dependent upon coffee and caffeine? A review on human and animal data. Neurosci Biobehav Rev 1999; 23:563.
    99. American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 4th ed, Text Revision, American Psychiatric Association, Washington, DC 2000.
    100. Ogawa, N, Ueki, H. Clinical importance of caffeine dependence and abuse. Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 2007; 61:263.
    101. McCarthy, DM, Mycyk, MB, DesLauriers, CA. Hospitalization for caffeine abuse is associated with abuse of other pharmaceutical products. Am J Emerg Med 2008; 26:799.
    102. Valjent, E, Pages, C, Herve, D, et al. Addictive and non-addictive drugs induce distinct and specific patterns of ERK activation in mouse brain. Eur J Neurosci 2004; 19:1826.
    103. Cornelis, MC, El-Sohemy, A, Campos, H. Genetic polymorphism of the adenosine A2A receptor is associated with habitual caffeine consumption. Am J Clin Nutr 2007; 86:240.
    104. Pallanti, S, Bernardi, S, Quercioli, L. The Shorter PROMIS Questionnaire and the Internet Addiction Scale in the assessment of multiple addictions in a high-school population: prevalence and related disability. CNS Spectr 2006; 11:966.
    105. Kendler, KS, Prescott, CA. Caffeine intake, tolerance, and withdrawal in women: a population-based twin study. Am J Psychiatry 1999; 156:223.

10. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    :shocked003 ::ban

11. Dslazar9

sorry :ashamed001

12. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
  13. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    That has got to be the most unquotable post ever posted in this forum. When I was just starting my Coffee Hobby...what? I have many hobbies. This book was an invaluable resource. "Coffee: A Guide to Buying, Brewing & Enjoying" by Kenneth Davids. I have the first and third edition. It's now on at least the 5th edition.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/031224665X/?tag=thshde-20

I won't do it. I won't...I will.

Coffee is good, it reduces sleepyness and provides a feeling of alertness and joy. Ask your doctor if coffee can help you.

A small percentage of people experienced the following symptoms...

14. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Kenneth Davids has a couple of books out there. I have a few. Good reads.

Also check out Sweet Marias. I order my green coffee beans from there. More than just products for sale. There's tons of great info.

15. TheCopperHat

TheCopperHat Member

Wow that is a lotta info. There goes my weekend! I appreciate the info from the coffee drinkers out there. I feel a little guilty drinking coffee like I'm lighting a smoke and knowingly hurting some part of me.

16. Adeptus_Minor

Adeptus_Minor Active Member

Hrm.. with cool weather here, I almost want to break out the air-popper and roast a few batches again. I need to order some fresh beans, though. The ones I have left are a couple of years old and would likely deliver less than satisfactory results.

Nonsense, man! Treat your body like the amusement park that it is. :D

17. Dulouz

Dulouz Active Member

I'm very excited to try some of these. The Steve-roasted version, of course.

18. JoeMal

JoeMal Member

I love my 8 O'Clock....

19. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Another coffee drinker here. Since about high school. Always black.
    I am also diagnosed ADD. I don't think that is the only reason I am hooked on coffee, but it certainly helps. I was recently re-diagnosed and got a new prescription for the usual stimulants, but I have found that if I have a the time to make a cup to start the day, I don't need the prescription as much.
    I am an Aeropress nut. I think they make great coffee, and it is easy, but if I am in a rush to get to a meeting or something I also have a Keurig Platinum coffee maker. I bought it used off of ebay cheap, had problems with it about a month after I got it, called Keurig, they sent me a brand new one. Great customer service. If anyone has any recommendations on K-cups to try, I would love to hear them.

20. Rene

Rene Well-Known Member

I never leave home to work without my travelmug :ashamed001

And after I get to work it's always a double espresso.....

And after that some more.........

But I'm not addicted :rolleyes005