Col Conk lime review

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by matthewoli98, Mar 19, 2019.

1. matthewoli98

matthewoli98 Well-Known Member

I apologize for taking so long to review the Col Conk, i got stuck on using the Derby shave stick over the last 3 shaves but this morning was the turn of the Col Conk Jimmy very generously sent in his PIF which i used in combination with the feathers he sent too.

The scent of this soap is wonderful, its like the a soda pop sort of lime scent . This soap is another great latherer and 20 seconds of loading the brush gave me plenty of soap and 40 seconds of bowl lathering afterwards gave me plenty of soap for three passes. This soap is another super slick soap with amazing residual slickness, good skincare too.

All in all its a great soap, and although its pricey to import here, id consider this a great beginners soap if you live in the USA, but make no mistake, this soap is perfect for more experienced wetshavers too!

Scent: 7-10, puck smells great, scent is lost a bit after lathering although thats generally the case for most soaps.

Skincare: 8-10, not as moisturising as the credance, but definitely better than arko in terms of skincare.

Slickness:10/10, i absolutely cannot fault this soap in terms of slickness and residual slickness, its absolutely spot on!

Price:7/10,(10/10 if you live in the USA) the 2.5oz puck retails for about 3.9 dollars on their website, however this is in America and the price here would be substantially higher.

Overall this is a very decent soap, and its actually a pity we dont have it readily available in SA. It will definitely be in my rotation, a huge thanks to Jimmy for making this review

Sent from my Redmi S2 using Tapatalk
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

Great review @matthewoli98!

I have the same soap and do enjoy it for the reasons you mentioned. The glycerine gives a slick lather with a nice residual. Some shavers have expressed difficulty in creating a lather. Easiest fix is use more product.

Recently I've been using it to make a thicker than normal lather, applying it to my beard, and leaving it on as a preshave soap. Then I apply a RazoRock Lime Burst lather over it and shave. I got the idea from using the Proraso preshave and shave soap system.

MR41, brit, Frijolero and 4 others like this.
  3. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Terrific review Matthew!

brit and PatrickA51 like this.
  4. matthewoli98

I find 20 seconds of loading the brush is perfect, one of the big mistakes people make is they add too much water, its much easier to have a dry lather and add a few drops of water to get the right consistency than to use too much water.

Frijolero, pj3r, Yehuda D and 2 others like this.
  5. matthewoli98

Just a quick update, the Col Conk company saw this review which i copied and pasted on B&B, and said they will be increasing the scent strength on all their new soaps, so stay tuned!

MR41, Frijolero, Paul Turner and 3 others like this.
  6. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

Good review @matthewoli98 . I read it earlier and couldn't reply (was reading it on my iPhone) not my iPad or MacBook Pro

Yehuda D and brit like this.
  7. brit

brit in a box

nice review sir.. i have the lime and the amber.. great soaps..

matthewoli98, Yehuda D and RyX like this.
  8. matthewoli98

Thanks!

Yehuda D and brit like this.
  9. thevez2

thevez2 uses Gillette's new Tarantula Razor - 8 blades!!

It's a classic for sure. I had some a while back, then PIFd it or something.... can't remember. Been wanting to revisit it. I added a puck when I was Black Friday shopping for that purpose, and just haven't gotten around to using it yet. Too busy with other stuff. Need to get on it.... thanks for the bump.

RyX, Frijolero, brit and 1 other person like this.
  10. Yehuda D

I like the Amber also!

brit likes this.
  11. KUSTOM

KUSTOM Well-Known Member

Sounds like a solid add to my wish list. Thanks for the review.

RyX, Frijolero, matthewoli98 and 2 others like this.
  12. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

I had the bay rum version of this soap and enjoyed it, but im simple i really havnt met a shave soap i hated. Col conk was getting a lot of hate for awhile which i never understood. If I remember they are priced decently. Next time i see the 3 pack the one that comes with bay rum, lime, almond and its on sale i may pick one up.

matthewoli98 likes this.
  13. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    CC gets dissed, because it's inexpensive and isn't an "artisan" soap. It's the snob affliction. I had a puck of the Bay Rum and it smelled and lathered just fine.

barbersurgeon, RyX, brit and 3 others like this.
  14. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

Yep, you see that a lot with shaving stuff.
    For awhile the only soaps i had was CC and williams. I used williams with AV and clubman, and matched the CC with virgin island bay rum. Then i got a few arko sticks, just recently i picked up a few stirling, but i still mostly use williams, vdh and tabac.

Primotenore, RyX, brit and 1 other person like this.
  15. thevez2

thevez2 uses Gillette's new Tarantula Razor - 8 blades!!

Used my Conk Lime today. Good stuff. Scent was a little weaker than I remembered in the lather, but still ok. Great lather though. Definitely no slouch.

I don't like the flimsy contaioners, so I melted mine into a 3oz screw top soap container I had lying around.

conk.jpg

RyX, brit, Frijolero and 3 others like this.
  16. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I will agree that the worst thing about CC is their containers.

17. Yehuda D

Ja, das ist richtig.

Primotenore likes this.
  18. Colonel Conk

Colonel Conk Member

Thank you so much for the kind words! It always makes me happy when I see people discover and enjoy a product.

19. brit

brit in a box

i did a heat and pour with a small lime and large amber pucks into a small bowl, love it..nice soap..

20. matthewoli98

Did you mix the amber and lime?

RyX and brit like this.