Cold Brewing Coffee

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by whistleman123, Apr 25, 2010.

1. whistleman123

whistleman123 New Member

I just discovered Cold Brewing coffee!!! I love it. Anybody else making their morning joe this way??? I didn't buy one of the cold brewing systems that are advertised. I just make the concentrate in a large measuring cup and filter it in the old West Bend Quick Drip that I used to use for drip coffee. The coffee is smooth, with less acid than perked or drip.
    Anybody have and tips on how to do it better????
    Dan

2. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

this is my preferred way, though I usually use a large mason jar for the overnight part, then transfer it to the french press to filter the concentrate.
    Excellent stuff for a hot summer evening!

3. Sirshavesalot

Sirshavesalot New Member

Cold coffee is the last thing I want to drink. I don't do iced coffee or any frilly Starbuck cold coffee drink. I like mine hot.

cheers
    David

4. whistleman123

whistleman123 New Member

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear. You add cold water to ground coffe and let it sit for 12 hours. Then filter this concentrated coffee and add HOT water. It makes a wonderfully smooth, rich, acid free pot of hot coffee in the morning!

5. wyatt46

wyatt46 Well-Known Member

Sounds good to me.
    I will definitely have to try this.
    We use Maxwell House regular blend at home, will this work.
    Which coffee do you prefer?

6. whistleman123

whistleman123 New Member

Weekday mornings we drink Chock-Full-of-Nuts. Weekends we enjoy Harry and Davids MooseMunch. I've found that a coarse grind works the best, but any grind will work. Enjoy!!!

7. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

I like 8 O'clock coffee best, followed by Community Private Reserve (I like Breakfast Blend), but most of the week is pre-ground Folgers.

When I do cold brew, it's only with the 8 O'clock or Community, I grind it a course-medium level, same as I normally french press.

I'm gonna have to make some tonight now :cool:

8. wklmmmm

wklmmmm New Member

OMG. cold liquid awesomeness......

i'vre already become addicted to this home method now;

8 o'clock
    grind corse
    1 : 4 coffee to h20
    wait 8-12 hours

sugar ice cream to taste

awesome

then watch red wings dominate

9. ROCKET56

ROCKET56 New Member

I just use the old Cajun method .Pour a1 lb bag of coffee in to a gallon jar, stir and let it sit over night in the refrigerator.Pour off the liquid in to another jar for storage.Pour concentrate into bottom of a drip machine and run the water as usual.This method produces a beautiful cup of coffee.I use Community Coffee also. Cheers Rocket

10. Luziana_Geezer

Luziana_Geezer Active Member

Thanks for the link. I used to have one of those cold coffee systems and always thought that while the coffee was good, it was a bit weak as per their directions. A 50 - 50 solution sounds about right.

11. Adeptus_Minor

Adeptus_Minor Active Member

I own a Toddy maker and I've made many batches of the concentrate that way.
    It does make good coffee, but I wouldn't really consider it a substitute for conventional hot brewing.

Of course, having to set my coffee up 12 hrs in advance and deal with filtering it (the Toddy has these high density filter disks that I find to clog a bit too easily) can make the process feel a bit more laborious than it actually is.

12. Sirshavesalot

Sirshavesalot New Member

Whistleman123,
    Ah I believe I misunderstood this process. I thought this was for cold or iced coffee. This seems interesting, but is the coffee that much better or is it for people with health concerns with high acidic coffee. Cause I actually love my coffee from a French Press, which tends to make it very strong.

David

13. Goodknightbri

Goodknightbri New Member

or you could skip the last step "add HOT water" for just a nice cold press brew as previously mentioned... it's worth a try! I wouldn't call it frilly it's just an alternate brew or style of plain bean coffee. ALthough I wouldn't recommend it with Folgers :eek:

14. Luziana_Geezer

Luziana_Geezer Active Member

It had been years since I had made cold coffee. The French Press recipe provided at one of the links above resulted in a VERY WEAK cup of coffee using Dunkin' Donuts original blend. Got slightly better results with Yuban, but still too weak at the 50-50 ratio I used. IIRC the cold coffee system I once owned suggested a pound of coffee into a quart of water.

15. StephenDE

StephenDE New Member

cold brew convert

Tried this. It was great! I may never make a hot press again! Plus, the press makes it really easy as it filters the ground for you. I used roughly 4:1 coffee:water mix with some Starbucks I got for Christmas. Adequate for me (and I like my spoon to stand up in the coffee) with a major shot of caffine. Kept me awake all night after having it @ 5:00 PM.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion! It was a great success for me.