Colgate Spiced Aftershave Lotion?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Dirtfarmer, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Dirtfarmer

Dirtfarmer Well-Known Member

I had an appointment in town today and there was a newer junk shop(that's really in the name) across the street. Well me being me, I decided to walk around a little. I found a 5oz bottle of Colgate Spiced Aftershave Lotion that appears to have never been opened. It was in a stall with a bunch of old guy suits and ties and such. I looked for it on fleabay and couldn't find anything in 5oz. There was 2 2oz bottles. $95.00 each. I'll post a picture when I get home in the next day or so. Anybody have any idea about this stuff. I don't want to open it because its a cool bottle.

johnnyflake, brit and RyX like this.
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

johnnyflake and Dirtfarmer like this.
  3. Dirtfarmer

Yep. That's it. That's a 2oz bottle for $0.33. Mine is a 5oz bottle that was $0.60 plus tax brought it to a grand total of .66. Thanks againg RyX. You are a wealth of good info.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  4. brit

brit in a box

cool..

5. johnnyflake

johnnyflake Well-Known Member

I am not a collector, so if I had found it, I would open it and use it!

RyX and Dirtfarmer like this.
  6. Dirtfarmer

I'm not a collector either. I probably would have let it sit in the shop if it wasn't on such a little shelf waiting to hit the concrete. LOL. I can't really imagine it would still be good after all these years. From what I gathered from the link RyX suggested from the Smithsonian, its a 1953 model. IMG_0696 (2).JPG IMG_0697 (2).JPG IMG_0698 (2).JPG

brit, johnnyflake and RyX like this.
  7. johnnyflake

I don't know about that. I have acquired a few aftershaves that are 40 plus years old and they smell amazingly well. True, they may not be exactly what they should be, but there is nothing to compare them to. What's important, is that they smell really good to me and that's enough. I use them!

Enrico likes this.
  8. RyX

RyX DoH!

Assuming high alcohol content it's probably still good to go. Rarely do the scent oils can go rancid. Only one particular Avon - Oland - in my experience. Love and use my vintage Avon's and Shulton Old Spices.

9. johnnyflake

Yes, the old Avon Aftershaves can be exceptional, They have proven to keep very well, with little loss of volume or scent.

I have several now and I have two more on the way, from eBay purchases. The Avon Musk Aftershaves, have proven to me, to be really good, even after 40/50 years.

Enrico and brit like this.
  10. NTR

NTR Well-Known Member

Use It! Otherwise it will sit around for however long and then someone will ultimately sell it at a garage sale for $1 or toss it.

brit and Enrico like this.
  11. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I've enjoyed aftershaves and colognes 50 to 75 years old. Use it, enjoy it, let you family smell it on you ..... that's what makes memories for them.

My 24 and 26 year old sons are already making a collections of scents that they like that I introduced them.

brit likes this.
  12. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

@RyX was at the Smithsonian today? Didja like it????

brit and RyX like this.
  13. RyX

RyX DoH!

I wish Paul. I have taken just one trip into the North East states. Got to see Ground Zero when it was a deep pit and all cleaned up, Times Square, and I wasn't wet shaving back then so didn't know about Pasteur's. On the way home we breezed through D.C. so quickly I have little memory of what I did see. The Smithsonian would be on my "if I was there for a week" tour.

brit likes this.
  14. Dirtfarmer

Well, I e-mailed Colgate-Palmolive a while back and they got back to me. They didn't know anything about my aftershave but they did send me a list of all the stuff they sell now. Not really what I was looking for but at least they got back to me. I figured a big company like that would have a archive of their products? Silly me, I guess.

brit likes this.
  15. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

Send it me, i shall be more than happy to use it :)

brit likes this.
  16. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

Moat of the big companies like colgate, old spice and gillette have been sold a few times and the original products and anyone who knows anything about them are long gone. A lot of them no longer make their products in house anymore.

Dirtfarmer and brit like this.
  17. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I'd add Rise to that list.

brit likes this.
  18. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

Neato.

brit likes this.