Collecting v Shaving

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by BigCabDaddy, Nov 19, 2015.

1. BigCabDaddy

BigCabDaddy Well-Known Member

A very similar one though the cause was different. Japanese manufacturing was simply sub-par after the war -- their factories had been bomb out of existence. But in the long run, that worked to their advantage because they didn't have old infrastructure to retrofit. You know which country has the best internet today? Or at least some of the best? Estonia. Because Estonia didn't have the miles of copper to replace -- theirs is almost completely fiber.

And you're wrong about Chinese manufacturing. In some fields they are already becoming well regarded if not well known. Another hobby of mine is head-fi. Much of the electronics in that hobby is Chinese. You know the audiophile wouldn't buy in to something sub-standard. I've also heard they have cell phone manufacturers that we never see stateside that rival if not surpass the ones we have. Also, they are gearing up to take on existing manufacturers of motorcycles and automobiles. Just give it time. Certainly it's being done on the backs of cheap labor. The ethics of that is a whole other topic. But the reality of Chinese made equates to crap is rapidly disappearing. It just takes perception awhile to catch up. Same thing happened with Japanese cars.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  2. BigCabDaddy

Yes, but their tooling is improving day by day. Something like watches will be the last to catch up -- the kind you're talking about anyway. Smartwatches not so much. Why? Because the market for precision, jewel like watches is very, very small. There's no point in taking on that market.

3. Jerry-built Hustler

Jerry-built Hustler Well-Known Member

Fair point. I do some dabbling in the head-fi hobby, although I'm far from hard core. I know HiFiMAN gets a fair amount of love from the audio geeks. Personally, I'm a Sennheiser guy.

BigCabDaddy likes this.
  4. BigCabDaddy

My dream headphone is the Beyer T1, but I'm under no delusion the components are German. My dream DAC and amp would likely be Chinese with vintage tubes of some sort. Now you've got me curious where my current DAC is made but for amplification I use vintage Japanese receivers.

5. Jerry-built Hustler

Jerry-built Hustler Well-Known Member

Now that you mention it, I think my HD598s are made in China, so there goes that theory. My amp and DAC are first-gen Schiit Magni and Modi, which are USA-made, except for the Chinese wall wart on the Magni. A very entry-level setup to be sure, but my ears have no complaints. Some day I might upgrade, but I get enough enjoyment out of my current setup that I'm in no hurry to replace it. (I do wish I'd waited a few more months on the Schiits, though, since they replaced them with the second-gens literally within a few weeks of when I bought them.)

Somewhere in the misty distance, I think I see the original topic of this thread... ;)

BigCabDaddy likes this.
  6. BigCabDaddy

My desktop is an old Cambridge Audio DacMagic which suspiciously only says "Made in an ISO-9001 facility" First time I've seen that! lol

Jerry-built Hustler likes this.
  7. RyX

RyX DoH!

So to bring this discussion back to OP's point;
    When I get a DFS or better, I don't feel enough stubble 24 hours later to NEED a shave, but I WANT to shave. I've considered researching hair growth to accelerate mine so I might shave more often.
    Where does this put me? Enthusiastic Newbie?

twhite, Epimetheus, Rufus T. and 3 others like this.
  8. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Here it makes you normal.

9. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    If you don't pursue a BBS shave in the morning, just so you have an excuse to shave in the evening...you might be a wet shaver. :D

mrchick and CyanideMetal like this.
  10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Nice!

BigCabDaddy likes this.
  11. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I like to keep things simple-- I like to collect shaving gear. I enjoy using what I collect.

Epimetheus and BigCabDaddy like this.
  12. swarden43

Same here, that is I like to use what I collect. The only thing I collect that I don't use are my GTOs - Hot Wheels, Johnny Lightning, etc.

BigCabDaddy likes this.
  13. Epimetheus

Epimetheus Well-Known Member

Collectors, shavers, so what is the term for people that spend more time on forums than with the actual items discussed? Like fer instance, here?

Shaver X and BigCabDaddy like this.
  14. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Great guys and gals!

(Edited for boneheaded omission.)

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
    swarden43, Epimetheus and BigCabDaddy like this.
  15. swarden43

And don't forget the gals!

mrchick and Sara-s like this.
  16. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

For me, wetshaving = wet + shaving. Definitions are fine, but our definitions might be different from those of general public. IMHO we should stick to what would be readily understood by Joe and Jane Public, for reasons of outreach and general clarity. Not to worry, whatever it called, it's all good. I am more concerned about which soap or razor works well than how people label my preferred shaving method.

BigCabDaddy likes this.
  17. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

When I first started I was heading down the collection mode. However now, only 13 months since DE shaving, I am selling, PIFing things I don't use. Only 2 more razors to purge and will have 2 in rotation and 1 for travel. Already have soap down to 7 and when 2 are empty won't replace. It's not that I am losing interest, but with what I am using I can't do better than DFS/BBS that I achieve daily, I have found what works best for me. If I am not using the item all it is doing is taking up space where someone else could use and enjoy. Probably makes me the odd guy out here now.

Bosoxfan and BigCabDaddy like this.
  18. Epimetheus

Epimetheus Well-Known Member

Touchè! Both women and men!
    :duel:

mrchick likes this.
  19. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I really can understand finding the one razor, then sticking with it.
    but soaps and cremes?
    I can't say I like soap commander love more than respect. they are the same just smell different. it's like apples and oranges, I want to have the choice. so I want both. the variety is nice. I'm just saying

mrchick likes this.
  20. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

hobbyists