Colonel Conk Almond shave soap

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by gadabout, Sep 11, 2015.

1. gadabout

gadabout Well-Known Member

I needed to restock on some Ogallala products, and since John is no longer selling direct, I placed an order with Maggard Razors. I decided to add a few low cost items to the order. One of them was a puck of Colonel Conk Almond shaving soap.

I always wanted to try Colonel Conk, but with mixed reviews, I've never bothered. I recalled hearing that they've revamped their products recently, so I decided to give them a try. I figured Almond was a safe bet on the scent, since weird shaving product scents tend to turn me off.

Well, I was very pleasantly surprised. When I got the order, I sniffed the puck and found it to be terrific. This morning I took my first shave with it. It made a very nice thick lather and I got a great shave. Definitely a winner for me, and at a very friendly price. I'd say the scent doesn't last as long as say TOBS, but that's OK. It got revitalized on each pass.

2. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

I also used Col Conk's Almond this morning. However, I added some TOBS Almond to it for a great scent and a great shave.

Jayaruh and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  3. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Hmm.. this post reminds me that I want/need to revisit my colonel conk bay rum. Lovely scent, I just didn't get great lather with my current brushes back then, Now I have a new Proraso boar brush, so Im gonna give it another try =D wish me luck

4. Dzia Dzia

Dzia Dzia Entitled to whine

Luck!!
    I like the bay Rum. It lathered fine for me. The Amber is a little harder to deal with but using more product produced better results. Plus the water in S Florida is pretty hard. YMMV.

Jayaruh, crackstar, Omelmad and 2 others like this.
  5. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I have a puck somewhere. Maybe I should look for it. :signs002: But it's old. They have a new formula? Hmmm..

Jayaruh and Omelmad like this.
  6. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

It took me a long time to figure out how to get lather I liked from Conk soaps. The trick for me was using a synthetic and starting with brush fairly wet. Maybe not quite a Marco's method, but close. Once I figured that out I liked it just fine. Post shave feel and slickness aren't quite as good as most of my other soaps, but I could use it and be happy.

Dzia Dzia, Jayaruh and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  7. gadabout

For what it's worth, I used my Semogue SOC boar brush, and creating a good lather was no problem at all. I have good water though, so YMMV.

8. Omelmad

My water here is Sweden should be pretty soft but I don know.

I blame technique though, not my water. I will try it again and see what happens

9. Omelmad

I love the scent so I'm gonna do some experimenting with it =D I know it's not the best soap but I would like to be able to use it

10. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Ah man, why didn't you tell me you like that soap. Instead of giving it to my brother-in-law who since then threw it away, I would have sent it to you. :(

Dzia Dzia likes this.
  11. Sir.$-Mad

Sir.$-Mad Well-Known Member

I have the Col Conk Almond soap. It lathers pretty well, and gives a smooth shave. The almond scent however was a bit too strong for me.

12. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I have CC Bay Rum, Lime, and Amber. If I didn't have so many other soaps, I'd give the Almond a try.

Dzia Dzia likes this.
  13. Omelmad

Why Would he throw away a Perfectly good soap? =P next time perhaps. But hey, its probably not worth it to send it from canada to sweden=)

14. Omelmad

How is the lime? Limey?

15. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    The lime is a mild limey scent. It is just a nice soap. It does not overpower and it does not linger. The CC soaps seem to be good cheap soaps that get the job done at a good price. I imagine I will probably give the almond a try. I have two unused bay rums and one that is getting close to the bottom. I was thinking I might be able to talk a local dealer into an exchange. Who knows?

16. crackstar

My brother-in-law is an idiot who bothers me for soaps and creams on a regular basis. About 65% of the time he criticizes them for stupid reasons and swears he'll never ask me again for stuff, then he forgets and asks me. The other 35% of the time he's happy with what he gets from me. I warned him not to ask me again for stuff, because I won't give him anything else.

17. gadabout

I'd give him my Arko. Only used once. :D

Dzia Dzia likes this.
  18. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

Col. Conk's is not bad stuff. there are better soaps out there IMO, but Conk is capable of making a suitable lather. I like the Lime, and Bay Rum the most.

Dzia Dzia and Shaver X like this.
  19. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Col. Conk Almond was the first shaving soap I ever used. A sales clerk in the cutlery store recommended it, and said she though it smelled wonderful. I thought that the scent was nice and the soap quite good.

That seems to me like a golden opportunity for your brother in law. If he does not like 2/3 of the shaving soaps and creams you give him, why doesn't he make his own? If he is that picky about his soaps, whatever he comes up with that he likes should also work well for others. He will have his own little soap business going!

Just a thought, for what it is worth.

Dzia Dzia likes this.
  20. crackstar

My wife has rebuked him so many times for his foolishness. I told him just today "From now on you're on your own. If you want soaps or creams, BUY them yourself. Don't ask me again for any because the answer will be NO."

Dzia Dzia likes this.