Colonial Razors Silversmith DE. It's official.....

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Str8on2, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

Here's their new SS DE razor set to be released sometime in July. Handle has an old world design reminiscent of 18th century pewter made mugs and jugs. It's considered to be a mid-level razor in terms of aggression. Entry price is going to be $125 with no fancy or elegant packaging which is fine by me.

What do you fine gentlemen think? Yes or no? Hit or miss? It certainly is a bit different which is fine in my book. Undecided to be honest....

Here is a pic from the Colonial site......

P1010197_1024x1024.jpeg

2. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Nice looking razor. It may be a good fit for someone willing to spend to spend a bit for a nicer razor.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

johnnyflake and Hembree like this.
  3. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

I like the handle.

GatorJoe and johnnyflake like this.
  4. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

5. Str8on2

A few more shots from one of their social media sites. I really do like the head design and it seems as though the blade will be supported fully and held quite rigidly. I can warm up to the handle and theres plenty of aftermarket ones out there to be had if I needed to swap it out....

FB_IMG_1560432414392.jpg
    FB_IMG_1560432418433.jpg
    FB_IMG_1560432422898.jpg

6. RyX

RyX DoH!

Form follows function with a bit of style. I like the matte finish and the handle looks like it would grip easily. Curious to see photos with a blade installed. I don't but some users have issues with the tabs extending beyond the sides of the base and cap. Guess the engineer in me needs to see the cap off and details of the inside view.

Thanks for bringing the news @Str8on2!

PLANofMAN, BamaT, brit and 2 others like this.
  7. Str8on2

You bring up a valid point. It hasn't been mentioned (if it has I must have missed it) whether the blade tabs will be covered or not. There are supporters from both sides of the fence concerning tabs being covered or not. I personally get along with either format. I also have not seen any pics on how a blade would set up in the Silversmith as to blade reveal and exposure. Hopefully Colonial will post something soon as to that aspect of the razor.

RyX likes this.
  8. dmshaver

dmshaver Well-Known Member

I'm quite impressed with the Colonial General & the build quality of it. I'm looking forward to seeing more about the Silversmith, including reviews from users. I would consider adding this to my den if the quality is there.

BamaT, RyX and Str8on2 like this.
  9. Laird

Laird Well-Known Member

I like the fact that the handle has a pronounced ball-end or "pommel". That's why I like the original Gillette hollow tube ball end handles that come on so many Old Types and NEWs. You can hold the razor inverted for ATG passes and just grip it between the thumb and first two fingers right at that ball end and it isn't going to slip away. Love 'em.

brit, BamaT, dmshaver and 2 others like this.
  10. RyX

RyX DoH!

The down side on those is the pressed friction fit tends to split the tube. Those guys at Razor Emporium have offered a similar handle in solid brass. (LINK)
    solid brass handle.jpg

GatorJoe and brit like this.
  11. Angelo85

Angelo85 Well-Known Member

Looks nice.

12. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

I wish they would load it with a blade when making promotion shots. A loaded razor tells a lot more than these pictures. If there is a blade, then it is easier to judge by eye the gap, how far the blade extrudes from the cap etc.

Slapo, segnod, GatorJoe and 1 other person like this.
  13. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

I would trust anything the twins make. No nonsense, no drama, no begging for development funds; just great razors.
    Now if they could just keep an inventory, it would be easier to recommend their razors to family and friends.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    BamaT, lightcs1776 and Str8on2 like this.
  14. brit

brit in a box

cool looking razor, i would give one a go..

15. Str8on2

That's a fair point....

DesertTime likes this.
  16. Str8on2

Well, preorder begins this Sunday, the 16th with a projected delivery date of August. The Silversmith Looks ok but, I’d really like to see their Brass General V2 come to fruition. I’m going to pass on this and wait for their 2nd gen. General to come up, hopefully soon...

DesertTime likes this.
  17. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Their site actually has a couple of pics with a blade loaded. Don't know when they got posted, but I just happened to see them.

RyX likes this.
  18. sicemdawgs77

sicemdawgs77 New Member

I received mine today. Very nice looking razor. The matte finish is very nice with no machining marks whatsoever. Very hefty also. I will shave with it tonight and see how it goes.

DesertTime, brit and RyX like this.
  19. sicemdawgs77

sicemdawgs77 New Member

Right off the bat, great shave. No blade feel whatsoever, but very efficient. It reminds me a lot of my older Rocnel Elite razor. That one also had no blade feel but also was very efficient. I first went with the grain and I truly felt like there was no blade present. However, the whiskers were taken right off with the first pass. I re-lathered and went against the grain (I always go against the grain). Again, it took off the rest of the whiskers with ease, even in my problem areas (chin and around my left cheek). Absolutely no blade feel even against the grain but the proof is in the pudding as the whiskers were removed. I love this razor. I hope to save and buy another as a spare. I used a Treet Platinum blade, Declaration Grooming shave soap and West Coast Shaving Best Badger brush (26mm knot). I know some love the Treet blade while others do not. The blade for me is very forgiving, sharp, smooth and has never failed me. I love this razor. If you like a razor that you can feel the blade, this will disappoint. However, if you like a razor that feels very mild but is very efficient (to me the best kind of razor), you will really like this. At least in my opinion and of course, YMMV. IMG_6985 (1).JPG

Slapo, brit, Dirtfarmer and 5 others like this.
  20. Str8on2

Very nice and honest write up. Enjoy the shaves.... :happy088:

brit and sicemdawgs77 like this.