Coming back to wet-shaving

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by hepdog688, Jul 15, 2019.

1. hepdog688

hepdog688 New Member

Back in 2014/2015 I started shaving with a safety razor. I only had about six months of such shaving until I decided to grow a beard. Now I’m ready to re-enter the world of wet shaving.

I’m currently waiting upon a bar of the Musgo glycerin soap I used before and Taylor of Old Bond Street “Mr. Taylor” shaving cream which will be new to me. I previously used a different brand cream which could be worked into a lather.

I also had purchased several new and vintage razors years ago, but decided to buy an additional razor, a 1930s Gillette NEW, to start wet-shaving again.

During the time I had a beard, I would only shave around my cheeks and occipital below my eye. I used a Gillette Fatboy at a higher setting of about a 6 or 7. I just recently shaved with an American Crew branded foam with the Fatboy and I felt like it didn’t cut as close on a higher setting as it did before. I’m wondering if it’s because I used a foam (just to get rid of what I had) or if the Adjustable is broken. It still clicks into place, but it just feels different. Not the shave but the moving of the mechanism.

How do I know if the razor is actually working correctly and moving to a different setting? This razor was originally revamped by Razor Emporium. Just by eyeballing it, I can’t tell if I’m actually increasing a setting other than the physical movement. Also, I’m looking for a new shave brush. I have three: a Vie-long horsehair, a badger-hair brush from Whipped Dog, and also another badger from a company called Prospector Co. I’m thinking of taking the plunge and buying a Simpson Chubby 1. Not too sure why this brush is so highly recommended or why they come in a number 2 or 3 additionally, but I would like to have one.

2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
  3. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

Welcome back...
    kotter.GIF

brit, wristwatchb and cliffb599 like this.
  4. cliffb599

cliffb599 Well-Known Member

Once your Bitten you always come Back. Welcome Back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Jrdelgado

Jrdelgado Well-Known Member

Welcome back!

6. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

His dreams were his...ticket out. Welcome back, to that same old ......WHAT AM I DOING????

AGHisBBS likes this.
  7. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

8. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

9. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Hello and welcome (back)!

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

10. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Welcome back.
    Just start shaving with your razor again, change blades often, at least every other shave for a while. You'll get it tuned in after some shaves. The trick is to use the same set up for about 30 days, then see if it seems right.
    The brushes are mostly personal preferences from what I can tell.
    If you have questions about the razor, I think I would call the company that sold it to me.
    Good luck!
    tp

hepdog688 likes this.
  11. RyX

RyX DoH!

Welcome back @hepdog688! Glad you've rejoined us here at TSD.

Can't say if the lather you used is an issue. One guy's soap is another's problem. Try again with something else to evaluate? As to your Fat Boy - a couple years of inattention might result in some internals sticking or being gummed up. I've rescued more than a dozen adjustable Gillette razors from the wild. My standard procedure weather sticking or not - soak it in Dawn Dish Liquid and hot water, fiddle the moving parts to break up dried soap scum. After an hour or more add a couple drops of mineral oil (Baby oil IS mineral oil with scent added) down the top end, up the bottom, and around the joints of the TTO knob & adjustment ring. Work all the moving parts followed by a wipe down to remove oil from the exterior. If that doesn't restore it to service you may need to disassemble it which might be better done by your Service Provider depending on your level of handiness.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

hepdog688 likes this.
  12. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Welcome back!

13. hepdog688

hepdog688 New Member

Okay, yeah that’s true. I didn’t even think that it could be all gummed up and just thought it might possibly be broke. I’ll have to try cleaning it like mentioned. Thank you for the break down of how to clean!

14. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Welcome back! Glad you decided to come here to The Shave Den.

You should notice a difference in your shaves when you change the setting. A higher setting should yield a closer shave, a lower setting should yield a less close, less irritation-prone shave. It might be better to get back into the swing of things with a non-adjustable razor. Once you get consistently good shaves with the non-adjustable, then revisit the Fatboy. It would take one variable out of the equation to start with, which might make things easier.

15. brit

brit in a box

hello and welcome ..back..

16. Robert1955

Robert1955 Well-Known Member

Do not adjust the razor when there is a blade inside and the doors are closed, only adjust when doors are fully open

17. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Welcome back..........

brit likes this.
  18. hepdog688

hepdog688 New Member

That’s true. You’re right, I should start off with a non-adjustable first to get the hang of it again. Thank you for the advice.

19. hepdog688

hepdog688 New Member

So much I’ve forgotten! I couldn’t quite remember if that was the correct way of adjusting. I’m glad you mentioned this. I’ve tried to adjust with the doors closed a few times, I hope I didn’t damage anything internally.

20. hepdog688

hepdog688 New Member

I’m really looking forward to shaving with my DE razor just from talking about it again. Can’t wait until I get my pre-shave soap and shaving cream. Both should be here by the end of the week. They couldn’t come any sooner!