Compact razor pictures.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Slivovitz, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

Quick addition to my Bigelow Parkin small razor article.

There is a style of four piece travel razor which fits in a tiny can. The handle comes apart into two pieces, with one fitting inside the other. Fully assembled, it is pretty much normal sized, although with a short handle. These were made by a number of German and Austrian manufacturers; a Gillette version, was, I think, made in Austria, although I leave it to the resident Gillette experts to say for certain. Merkur currently makes two of these, closed guard bar and open comb. They come in a leather pouch, but will fit in the old style cans.

[​IMG]

In the above picture, the assembled razor on the left is a Lunawerk, a German model from, perhaps, before the Second World War. The one on the right is a modern Merkur, in the can from a no-name Austrian model.

As I indicated in the B-P article, they both fit side by side in an Altoids tin, but I hadn't realized that the Bigelow Parkin would also go in there. And yes, you can still close the lid.

[​IMG]

PLANofMAN, Rio Bravo, ObiDon and 2 others like this.
  2. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Those German travel razors are really good! 1904 OC style head and the handle is not as short as one thinks from the photos.

3. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

A local antique shop has a vintage German OC Travel Razor. How would one guess the year on it? It is a little beat up and it is definitely Brass (as in plating loss), however It does not have a makers mark. Besides the loss of plating it looks to be in good shape.

Adonis likes this.
  4. Rio Bravo

Rio Bravo Well-Known Member

Managed to get one of these. Waiting for delivery. :) taken me three years!