Comparison and review anyone?

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by LevelupShaves, May 5, 2017.

1. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

Hey guys I have a YouTube channel where I normally do tech reviews and comparisons but recently I've started expanding to more of a men's lifestyle channel. I've been thinking about doing a review and comparison of the Proglide, Hydro 5, Harry's, The Executive (DSC), and the Bic Flex 5. Would anyone be interested in seeing such a thing? If so what would you want to know in a comparison? Thanks

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

Keithmax and wristwatchb like this.
  2. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I would have no interest. Most of us are not cartridge razor users and it doesn't relate to us.

3. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    It's shaving. We have some cartridge users around. I'm sure they'll chime in.

LevelupShaves likes this.
  4. LevelupShaves

Thanks for that thought I was on the other forum full of elitist there for a second.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. LevelupShaves

My go to is DE shaving with my long handle Murkur but I've started using Carts again because I travel about once a month for work and I keep my bag as a carry on so it's just easier to take a cart than to have TSA check for a blade every time.

preidy and wristwatchb like this.
  6. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

No, you're good. You actually see a number of cart users in the SOTD pictures. Some use them, like you, for travel; others use them as part of a rotation; or, in some cases, because of medical issues (tremors and the like).

I don't see too much 5+ blade use, though I think a few people have admitted to a Fusion preference. The trend here seems to be more two- and three- blade carts with a lot of respect for the Trac-II and Atra.

As for your original question, it does sound like an interesting topic. If I were a disaffected Fusion user looking for alternatives, I would be very interested in such a video. (BTW, how do we find your videos on YouTube?)

preidy and wristwatchb like this.
  7. LevelupShaves

It's the mobile tech guy on YouTube right now the channel is about to change to leveluplifestyle though here is the link to the home page. (If that's against any forum rules I'll take it down)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyo2UDGHL3W9i8diTh6Xtkg

Keithmax and wristwatchb like this.
  8. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Me too. I recently started using a Trac II handle with Personna cartridges for travel with carry on luggage. It works great for me, especially when I use good technique and a proper soap or cream and brush! I like my DEs better, but the Trac II exceeded my expectations!

I've watched a number of cartridge razor video reviews where the reviewer used canned shaving cream or gel and poor technique. I'd be very interested to watch reviews where the person used the good stuff and had a decent technique. Much like you would expect with DEs, I bet most any of those systems would provide a nice shave under those circumstances.

I'm a firm believer that Technique Trumps Tools. :happy088:

Last edited: May 6, 2017
  9. LevelupShaves

I completely agree with you on technique and would definitely be using both soap and brush as well as Cremo which is easy but still good for the face.

wristwatchb likes this.
  10. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Nope. Just a bunch of jet set rednecks here. Stick around, and we'll have a group hug later. (It's just shavin', and we like to have fun.):rofl:

@mrchick travels a lot, and he has some interesting travel shaving videos. I always wonder, though, about his hotel choice...

Sorry for the diversion. Back to normal programming. :)

Last edited: May 6, 2017
    Keithmax and LevelupShaves like this.
  11. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I think I am mainly text oriented. When any review is heavily video based, I skip it. So no shaving videos for me either.

gorgo2 likes this.
  12. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Although I'm totally a DE guy I have a great respect for carts (especially Trac II) because they quickly and efficiently preform a necessary and mundane function for the average joe. I learned with and used my Dad's Schick Injector, but when the T-2 came out in 71 (with much fan fare) I jumped on the band wagon. I used my trusty Trac II in high school, military, college, and the majority of my working life because it worked great and fast. Time was very much a luxury then. Now I have time to relish my daily shave (a luxury for many). Heck sometimes I still use my T-2 as a travel razor - because it's easy.

Keithmax likes this.
  13. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Good luck with your Youtube channel. :happy088:

14. LevelupShaves

So I've tested 3 of the 5 so far only doing one a week two shaves one with Col. Conk Bay Rum the purest Satin tip brush Alum and VIBR. The second shave with Cremo cooling and Gillette AS. 2 more to go the executive from DSC and the Fusion Roller glide (I've used it before but it's been awhile)

Keithmax likes this.
  15. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I am interested even though I don't shave with carts. I hope you also post your thoughts here.

16. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

Personally I think they all perform the same whether a Fusion, and there are four or five different carts. Dorco Pace 3, 4 or 6. Personna GT5, Caliber 5, Caliber 3 or their new Hydro 3/Mach3 cart. Schick Hydro 3 and 4. I look for good value so usually a Mach3 disposable. I picked up the new Hydro3/Mach3 cart, as good as anything on my cheeks. Not great on my neck but I think I was being cautious on my first use.

17. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

I have the various Bic products but yet to try, I have been meaning to try their 3, 4 or 5 bladed hybrid carts for a few years. I will give the Flex 5 a go tomorrow.

18. LevelupShaves

Not quite all the same the Schick is very far behind the rest so far still need to use the DSC Executive/Dorco 6

19. LevelupShaves

The Bic surprised me so far it's a nice shave for a cart

20. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I am late to this party as usual. I do not use carts....at all. I do like to see folks actually trying things and making informed decisions instead of just being sheep and following the flock. So test on and post it all up is what I say.