Compatable Razors and Blades

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Single Wedge, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

I know that I have posted about this before, but I guess that I would like to formalize it.

What I would like to see is people experiences regarding the following:

1. What type of beard hair you have, ie. Soft, Course, Medium, Sandpaper, etc..
    2. What type of razor(s) you use
    3. What type of blade(s) you use
    4. Razor burn from that (those) combination(s) 1-5
    5. How many times a week you shave

My hope is that this will bear out some common threads (excuse the pun) among the people here and help the new people in selecting blades to go with the razors.

2. apswartz

apswartz New Member

1. What type of beard hair you have: Medium
    2. What type of razor(s) you use: Merkur 33c
    3. What type of blade(s) you use: Gillette 7 o'clock
    5. How many times a week you shave: 5 to 6

3. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

I have a medium beard hair, scratchy like a C & E BBB.

I use Personna Reds in all my razors, see sig line.

The only exceptions are my blue tip, I use feathers; the 1920 and the Tuckaway I use lord Supers and Crystals.

Razor burn for these combinations typically do not go over a 2 unless I hurry then a 3.

My Schick Injector I use Personna and Pellas.
    Razor burn at a 1 unless I hurry then a 2 for each.

Gems and ERs I use Personna Gems.
    Razor burn 1, I DO NOT hurry with an SE, very dangerous that.

I shave everyday including the weekend. Average growth, although I can go 1 day with out shaving and not look all shadowed.

4. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I doubt my answers will help much but:

I suppose my beard would be Medium
    I use Double edge razors primarily. I can't be more specific, because I use a lot of different models/brands.
    I use Red Pack Personas, Yellow 7 O'clocks, Feathers, Astras, Crystals
    Typically very little if any burn, unless my technique is off, or a bad blade/razor combo
    I shave daily, maybe miss a day or two a month.

I think the info you are looking for may be along the lines of what razors and blades work well together. There are some pairings that work so well that I never vary them:
    Gillette Parat w/ a Feather
    Tuckaway w/ a Red Pack
    Open comb Merkur w/ Yellow 7 O'clock
    etc.

5. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

I think all answers help. Not that I am trying to cut off Gio in any way, I just see this question come up so often on the boards that I figured that anything that could help, will.

If this in anyway points a new guy or an old hand to a good solution then great. Just remember that YMMV.

6. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

1. What type of beard hair you have, ie. Soft, Course, Medium, Sandpaper, etc..
    Course whiskers with average density (hairs/sqr inch).
    2. What type of razor(s) you use
    '57 Flare Tip Superspeed
    3. What type of blade(s) you use
    Currently experiementing. Favorites are Astra Superior, 7 O'Clock Sharpedge (yellow) and Dorcos (300's and 301's). Silver Star blades are close, but slightly behind the oters listed.
    4. Razor burn from that (those) combination(s) 1-5
    Not sure which end is no razor burn, but that's what I get from those blades.
    5. How many times a week you shave
    I shave daily, using three passes (WTG, XTG, ATG). If I have a bad shave (try a blade or shaving cream I don't get along with), I'll skip the ATG pass for a couple days.

As far as trends go, mild razors (Superspeed, Tech, Weishi) with sharp blades (Feather, 7 O'clock, Astra) and agressive razors (Merkur, Aristocrat) with mild blades (7 am, Crystals, Sharp) are popular combinations.

7. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

1. What type of beard hair you have: i never thought about this. a 1948 SS gives me a great shave, and thats the mildest razor i own, so ill say regular.

2. What type of razor(s) you use: SE, pre 1920 gillettes

3. What type of blade(s) you use: pellas, swedes

5. How many times a week you shave: 7

8. Seamaster

Seamaster New Member

2. What type of razor(s) you use: Merkur Progress (on 2 max)
    3. What type of blade(s) you use: Mainly Treets, usually Trigs
    4. Razor burn: rare, if ever
    5. How many times a week you shave: 3

9. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Welcome Seamaster. Hope we can get that shaves/wk number up :D

10. apswartz

apswartz New Member

Welcome Seamaster

11. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
  12. yomuppet

yomuppet Member

2. What type of razor(s) you use: Feather Portable (3 piece, steel)
    3. What type of blade(s) you use: Gillette 7 o'clock sharpedge (yellow, Russia) or Permasharp (green, India)
    4. Razor burn: never
    5. How many times a week you shave: 3, at night

13. SlagleRock

SlagleRock Member

1. What type of beard hair you have: Medium to thick hairs in dense concentration (I have a 5 O'clock shadow by lunchtime and can grow a full beard in about 3-4 days).
    2. What type of razor(s) you use: Feather Portable or Gillette Tech primarily and occasionally I'll use one of my Fat Boys
    3. What type of blade(s) you use: I find myself leaning towards Derby's regardless of razor.
    5. How many times a week you shave: 7, early in the morning

14. SlagleRock

SlagleRock Member

First, I'll say...

Welcome to TSD Seagate! This is a great bunch of people...

Now back to this post...

1. What type of beard hair you have: Medium to thick hairs in dense concentration (I have a 5 O'clock shadow by lunchtime and can grow a full beard in about 3-4 days).
    2. What type of razor(s) you use: Feather Portable or Gillette Tech primarily and occasionally I'll use one of my Fat Boys
    3. What type of blade(s) you use: I find myself leaning towards Derby's regardless of razor.
    5. How many times a week you shave: 7, early in the morning

15. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

Let's see here:

1. What type of beard hair do you have? Haven't taken the time to compare with anyone else, but I'd say I have a fairly coarse, fast growing beard.
    2. What type of razor do you use? A gillette red tip.
    3. What type of blade do you use? Derby Extra.
    4. Razor burn from that combination? No burn, but I do get an occasional nick if I'm less than super vigilant. I'm thinking Crystals might work better with this razor.
    5. How many times a week do you shave? Five, sometimes six. I usually have at least one shave holiday a week.

16. Seamaster

Seamaster New Member

Thanks for the welcomes, chaps! :)