Congressional Medal of Honor Day

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Old Grizz, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Old Grizz

Old Grizz Member

Saw on the news this morning that today is Congressional Medal of Honor Day. Please pause and honor those who have received our nation's highest decoration for above and beyond. On a personal note, I have been blessed many times over, by sharing a barber chair in a tiny little shop by one of these individuals. When I found out who he was, I took the next opportunity to introduce myself. I informed him, that although I had served in a different division, and arrived in Vietnam a bit after he did, I wanted to thank him for what he had done, as well as being for me, the representative of all the Huey pilots that had not only taken us in, but had taken us back out. Both walking, and not... walking. Anyway, I told him that I wished to honor him in proper military fashion and came to attention and rendered a proper hand salute, (as well as an old man with a cane could do). He didn't miss a beat, came to attention, and returned the salute. What happened next will forever stay in my memory. He extended his hand for a handshake, and when we were finished, there in my hand was a "Challenge Coin". Struck by the Congressional Medal of Honor Society, with all of the pertinent details inlaid on the reverse. A huge, heavy, beautiful object. I had wished to honor and thank him, and there he was returning the same. I'll always be grateful for my barber shop friend, and for what he and his fellow flyboys did for us. If you've seen the movie "We Were Soldiers" with Mel Gibson, you'll recall the incredible things that he did and the flights he flew at the battle of the Ia Drang Valley in November of 1965. Yep, Col. Bruce Crandall. The movie tells only a part of his story, he went on to further accomplishments. So join me in raising a glass tonight to those who went above and beyond. God Bless'em.

2. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Those who have gone before me are heroes. They have given all they had, some to the point of the ultimate sacrifice. I am thankful for the example set before me and strive to honor their sacrifice.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

3. Hammer8

Hammer8 Well-Known Member

4. americanshamrock

americanshamrock Let's Make a Deal! Staff Member

"For it has been said, all that a man hath will he give for his life; and while all contribute of their substance the soldier puts his life at stake, and often yields it up in his country's cause. The highest merit, then, is due to the soldier." — Abraham Lincoln

but I would argue that the true heroes are those who have made the ultimate sacrifice.
    [​IMG]

tspierce78, wchnu, TestDepth and 3 others like this.
  5. joamo

joamo Well-Known Member

This is an article I wrote about the MOH recipients buried in my home town. It is longish, with their citations and some bio along with some interesting facts about the Medal of Honor.

Attached Files:

brit and americanshamrock like this.