Cooking Your Turkey(Dry Brine)

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by DaltonGang, Dec 9, 2019.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I've been dry brining for 10-12 years. I then cook it in a Reynolds Oven Bag. This method Always produces a very juicy and flavorful turkey. Not a dry part on the bird. The dry brine infuses throughout the entire Turkey, never needing any seasoning after being cooked. I have never had a complaint, even from people who don't like turkey, everyone goes for seconds or thirds.
    It was so popular, this year, I cooked an 18 lb one for Thanksgiving, and had to cook another the next week for the other side of my family.
    Here is a rough recipe, off the top of my head:
    17-24 lb Turkey
    4 stalks Celery
    2 Medium Onions
    Reynolds Oven Bags
    Aluminum Turkey Pan(disposable)

For Dry Brine:
    1-2 tbsp Rosemary dry
    1 tsp Sage dry
    1 tsp Thyme dry
    4 Bay Leaves dry(chopped well)
    3/4 Salt, Coarse Kosher
    1 tsp Black Pepper
    3 Lemons

Zest the lemons, save the rest. Combine all ingredients for brine, and mix well. Clean out the turkey, and leave skin slightly moist. Rub the dry mixture on the inside cavities, then on the exterior, everywhere. Carefully put the bird inside one oven bag, tie the open end, and place in the Aluminum pan, then put in the refrigerator for approx 12 hrs. Flip the bird over for 12 more hours.
    Time to take out, and completely rinse, inside and out.
    Quarter the onions, and celery. Slice the saved lemons, and stuff all inside the turkey, and tie the legs together. Stick a few lemon slices between legs and wings.
    Now, break out the Rosemary, Sage, Tyme, and Pepper again(no more salt). Lightly dust the exterior of the bird. Put the bird into a clean Reynolds Oven Bag, or wash out the other one and reuse it. Cut a couple of small slits in the top of the sealed bag, and cook as directed on Oven Bags. Oh, use the Aluminum pan again. Cook until the inside of the Turkey is at 170 degrees. Take out, and let rest until ready to carve.
    Use the drippings for turkey gravy. It will be salty, so you might need to cut with water, to dilute.
    Enjoy.

2. steve207

steve207 Well-Known Member

I use the wet methed i'll put a let's say a 6 pack of beer for just the turkey breast or 12 pack or so depending on the size of the bird let it marinade in the beer in a big container for about 2 or 3 days and turn you oven to 350 now go getsome poultry seasoning and a bowl no not your shave bowls just a bowl to put some garlic and put in the poultry seasoning mix it up now go under the skin and put the mixter all along the the breast meat now season the bird and put the bird breast side down this will keep all of the jucies in the breast meet trust me there nothing dry about it and add a little bit of the beer back to cook it and I warn you when go to grab it it is fall apart tender and jouciy as hell enjoy guys

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    DaltonGang, Terry and cliffb599 like this.
  3. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

My mother used to cook all birds breast side down, in an oven bag.
    My wonderful wife seen this and has done that ever since, very juicy.
    tp

DaltonGang likes this.
  4. steve207

steve207 Well-Known Member

you really don't need a bag if I got really fancy i'd put it on spit and cook in rotisorie

Terry likes this.
  5. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

This year I tried something new. It was honestly the best tasting and juiciest turkey I think I ever ate. More important to me it was easy, affordable and trouble free. Popeyes in my area sells turkeys now, baked not fried unfortunately . You just place your order and pick it up a day or two before your event. :)

PLANofMAN and DaltonGang like this.
  6. Tiredricefarmer

Tiredricefarmer Well-Known Member

Never heard of a dry brine but I will try this next year. Think it might work with smoking a turkey.

steve207 likes this.