Corn Huskers' Lotion

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by peacefrog, Feb 20, 2007.

1. peacefrog

peacefrog Jet Setter

Who uses this stuff? Are there different brands of it? How does it work? How's it smell?

2. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Smells like lemon mothballs. Used it once, threw it out it because the smell was so bad, and the g.f. was nauseated by it. :signs113

As for moisturization, I think it fits the bill. There are a couple guys around here that use it and swear by it (rick) - I'm sure he'll be by for the hard-sell :D

-> Only one variation of it, AFAIK

3. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Can't remember whether I got this at CVS or Walgreen's, but I know it was one or the other. Just a few bucks. Not crazy about the scent - kind of women's hand lotion-ish, whatever THAT means. Seems to do a decent job on dry winter hands though...now if I could just get some on my BACK!!

Tried it as an ASB once, but prefer all of my real ones.

(and yes, pic 2 really IS what it looks like! It's not though. ;))

Attached Files:

4. peacefrog

peacefrog Jet Setter

Hey, Michael...I'm a Virginian living in Connecticut too. From Arlington, VA to Manchester, CT (with many stops in between).

5. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

So there are at least two of us surviving the frozen north! OTOH, Arlington's not really in Virginia! It's DC - which might as well be New Jersey!! :D Sorry, I just couldn't resist.......

6. peacefrog

peacefrog Jet Setter

Actually, I agree. Heck, I even went into DC to go to school.

7. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Guess I'll have to chime in here....Thanks, Joe ! :rofl

CHL was .....heavy emphasis on "was"....a big help to me early on. It is very moisturizing and somewhat healing but I found it to be an extra step I didnt need. I can take or leave the scent.
    It is now used primarily for hand and chest duty....especially now its winter. I'll always have some on hand(s). :(

8. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

My mom used to keep this stuff around all the time for dry hands. After seeing some mention of it as an aftershave balm, I tried it out.

Result? Eh. I agree with Rick. It was great for the healing, but the smell isn't so great on your face. I can take it or leave it as an ASB, but I still love it for hand lotion. And even though it doesn't get super-cold around here, I get dry skin somethin' awful in the winter.

9. Will

Will Nevermind

Good Suff when you mess up.

But man dose it smell bad!

10. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    It always seemed to me that the effects of chl were only temporary, and once the effects wore off, I was worse than when I started. To me CHL is more of a coating.

11. Stan-The Man

Stan-The Man New Member

I agree, good product. The aroma BAD.

I was thinking to add some of the oil that is added to soap for a nice smell.

I went to a hobby store with my wife this morning, and I was looking at some. Any thoughts on this idea? :confused: :confused: :confused:

12. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Are you referring to E.O.? I think Rick adds E.O. to his balms and potions, start with a drop or two and see how that goes.

13. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Yep..
    I dont use CHL for my face anymore, tho.
    My RNB ASB is a base of Aloe Gel, Witch Hazel and a cream of some sort (I have used Nivea ESB and L'Occitane Shea Butter so far).
    To that I add a cuppa drops of Melaleuca (Tea Tree) oil.
    There are MANY great properties that Melaleuca Oil bring to the mix.
    My face loves the stuff.

14. PottyDoctor

PottyDoctor Jeff Foxworthy of Shaving

We've had CHL around east Tennessee for as long as I can remember and all the farmers always raved about its ability to cure chapped hands. It does an honorable job on dry hands but nothing to rave about in my book. The one thing I really do like about it is that it absorbs so quickly and doesn't leave your hands feeling like you just dipped them in a barrel of castor oil.

The scent doesn't really bother me, but I'm not wild about it either. I've tried to use it as an ASB and I just don't like the way it 'feels'. Others have compared it to Trumper's Coral Skin Food, but I personally think the Skin Food is a much better product; smells beter, goes on better and leaves a more desirable 'finish' on the face.

Yes, it's a great value, but there are other big box store products that are equally as good a value. For instance, I like BRUT After Shave Balm with Aloe & Shea Butter, available at Walmart for around $4.88. Just my 2 cents, FWIW.

15. Stan-The Man

Stan-The Man New Member

Today I added some rose oil to my Corn Huskers Lotion. Results are---
    smells a little better, nothing more to add. :signs015

16. CSG

CSG Member

I dumped in a vial of sampler GFT sandalwood in mine and it improved the scent markedly.

17. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

CSL is a good all-purpose skin lotion.

Ahhh! S-T-M...legendary!

18. Mitch

Mitch Active Member

Works great but can't stand the scent. Very perfumey and you can't hardly wash the smell off.

19. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

WOW. Almost four years old! (this thread, that is)
    I don't care for it. Leaves my face feeling too sticky.

20. CSG

CSG Member

Might be sticky initially and for a little longer than Trumpers skin food but it ends up settling in nicely. I use it mostly on days I'm home.