Cost Savings With DE Shaving

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by GeneRector, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Smott

Smott Chew your shave. Slowly.

One additional consideration. If we're simply comparing costs straight across the board and ignoring other factors, you'd also have to consider opportunity costs. I think it's safe to say that the average DE user spends more time shaving than someone shaving with a popular method. Consider the potential lost wages of someone who takes longer to shave. [​IMG] Just sayin'. hehe

Fortunately, it's not just about the money.

2. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

'
    As far as cost goes, I think it comes down to whether you turn wet shaving into a hobby or not. The hobby route is what can get pricey. Also I feel that I'm not being forced down a road. With DE and st8 I have a lot more choices. Lets also not forget that most cart users are on the mainstream carts..the Pro-glide, Fusion etc which can run 4 and even 5 bucks a cart. And Steve at some point, I recommend you try out a cart. Your technique will help there too and you'll be able to gain some more perspective...

3. Smott

Excellent point. I think that most, if not all wet-shavers who dwell on an online forum are involved in the hobby side of things. There has to be a number of DE users who go under the radar, buying up the best values, and simply clearing their faces at a fraction of the cost of cartridge shaving. The ones who are usually the most vocal online are those who consider DE shaving as more than simply doing what's necessary to get rid of whiskers.

The controversy is reflected in the following: There are many investigating parties who are required to bring a clean-shaven face to work and they learn about their options from a boisterous crew of hobbyists. After all, there aren't a lot of online forums dedicated to the "We've got to do this shaving thing, so let's figure out the cheapest and most efficient way to get 'er done" crowd. There should be a "frugal" shaving subset to assist these groups and fewer Ryan Fosters with their knowledge, helpful reviews, and dastardly encouragement and validation.

Bottom line, though, is that you and others are right, Joe. DE shaving can yield significant savings and we shouldn't mistake DE shaving with the hobby that chases it.

KLF and Slipperyjoe like this.
  4. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Why blame me? I was enabled by Gary (GD Carrington) and his brush reviews, Jody's (IAmTheJody) razor collections, and Jeff's (crackstar) phenomenal cream collection.:D and lest we forget, Glen's (gssixgun) straight razor restorations and customs.

EDIT: There is a frugal subset, and they all belong to the self-proclaimed "Cult of Arko," whatever that is...

5. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

I would say that is *the* central challenge, because we all have dramatically different shaving styles and techniques, which have equally different results. I've already given my example of the difference in cost between carts and DE blades when I started. Before that I used electrics, and to keep those in top operating shape costs too- new foils and cutters on a regular basis that is at least as expensive as my yearly DE cost.

I do save a lot using soap, brush, and a DE blade + razor. But the YMMV principle guarantees no one will get the same results as me.

EDIT:
    Not fair! You posted while I was typing, and I agree with you 100%.

Smott likes this.
  6. awake2shave

awake2shave Crazy Sharp Melon Baller

I would love to know how anyone was able to get more than one shave with a mach3 or a schick quattaro let alone months, some times I couldnt even get a full shave before there would be visible nicks in the blade and i was irritated beyond be-leaf. that being before my slow change to wet shaving I used to dry shave nothing at all for lube. can goo made my face burn and caused more irritation then if I didnt use it.
    I have gone back since going wet shave and tried both the mach 3 and quattro and was able to get through one shave but the blades were dead enough that it wasnt worth trying a 2nd.

7. Smott

Yeah, I asked my father-in-law how it was done. He uses a 3-blade schick razor and, get this, a bar of bath soap. And he's a professional musician and actor, so in many instances, his face has to be extremely well-shaved for close-up camera shots. He uses each razor for a little over a month, and as I mentioned before, he has a very hearty, coarse beard. I suppose this is YMMV at its finest...

8. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    As an interesting side note, One of the cost saving features of using a DE razor is that there is no planned obsolescence route for anyone to take with it. I know that there will be no new razor model on the horizon that may or may not still use the cartridges/blades I "enjoy." (using the term enjoy very loosely) And the cartridges themselves? If they are still available, then you can watch them also go up in price or worse, be subtly redesigned to give a poorer shave*, thus encouraging you to make the switch to the "latest & greatest."

*I read this on one of the forums about a year or two ago. I've spent the last hour trying to find the thread with no luck, but the gist of it went like this: A forumite bought some replacement blades for his Mach 3 shortly after the fusion came out. When he started to shave, it was one of the worst shaves of his life. He then tried one of his old blades and had an enjoyable shave. Getting out his tools he decided to see what the difference was. What he found was that the new cartridges had a changed blade angle, leading to a more uncomfortable shave and thus presumably would drive you into the arms of the newest razor model in the hunt for the perfect shave. Instead it led him to join the wet shaving community.:D

awake2shave likes this.
  9. newb

newb Resident Newb

I've really saved a ton on money d/e, s/e, and straight shaving....... The only catch is I can't buy anymore products till I'm 103. :ashamed001:

10. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    PLANofMAN likes this.

Sorry, I had to like it twice.:D

NoobShaver and jeraldgordon like this.
  11. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

OK guys - that's the new standard - enough product to last until you are 103! Go forth and acquire! I myself have only purchased 2 soaps and a brush this week...I am such a slacker :( I pledge to do better!

PLANofMAN likes this.
  12. Smott

Uh oh, I misread the memo and acquired enough until my unborn son is 103. Anyone know the average expiration date of a tube of shaving cream?

13. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Given how many tubes of shaving cream I have....I may never see the end of one LOL.

Smott likes this.
  14. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    You've been wet shaving for almost 3 months and managed to get that big of a collection already? I hereby order you to cease and desist!

...After all, there are brushes, razors and soaps to acquire.:D BTW the average expiration date is 2-4 years or 12 months from opening. That being said, 40 year old creams have been found to lather quite well. Most modern creams have less preservatives so I'm not sure how well they will hold up.;)

15. Smott

Well, perhaps it's not that bad, but I certainly have more than enough for a while. Current stock: 1 tub Maca Root; 3 tubes Maca Root; 2 tubes Real Shaving Co.; 3 tubes C.O. Bigelow; 1 puck AOS unscented soap; 1 puck MWF; 1 stick Palmolive; 1 stick Arko; 1/4 bar Mike's Natural Soap.

Hmm. Nevermind, I was right the first time. My unborn son will use the last of my Maca Root...

16. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I thought your wife had the car all day when that sale was going on? Or did you sneak out the next day and go to Rite-Aid? Does she know about your...um...problem yet?

17. beech277

beech277 New Member

While I'm still learning about DE I currently am using a Mach 3 and they used to not last as long. But, I was given the tip to dry it as soon as I was done using it and that has lead to significant increase in the life of my carts.

If anyone does this on there DE can they report whether it helps keep its edge longer?

18. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

You can also hand strop cartridge blades as well which can help extend the life a shave or two (Sometimes more but it's always a your mileage may vary thing). The instruction video is about half way down this page.

19. beech277

beech277 New Member

Thanks. I'll have to check that out. I've never though about doing that, one because I've never tried stroping and two I figured cartridge blades were chemically sharpened like some fish hooks.

20. Smott

She came back a little earlier than expected. I had a meeting I was going to, and I used the extra time to stop into a Rite Aid on the way. They had exactly two tubes left on the shelf. The rest is history. A history I'd rather keep under tight wraps. In one of those scrambled opaque envelopes. With drawstring. And a wax seal with my initials punched into it. Do they make wet-shaving signet rings?

PLANofMAN and jeraldgordon like this.