Counterfeit DE blades

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by BamaT, Mar 8, 2019.

1. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

i’ve read a couple of things lately, one an older article about counterfeit or fake double edge razor blades. I’ve been looking at Gillette Silver Blue blades, and found them on Amazon for $17.25, while every other place I’ve looked the price is around $32 or $34. It struck me as odd that one place would sell them for half what everyone else does, and I thought of what I had read recently.

Has anyone here ever encountered counterfeit blades? How prevalent do you think counterfeiting is? What do you make of the price discrepancy on Silver Blues?

Thanks, Tony

2. BigD

BigD Well-Known Member

I haven't found any Counterfeit blades. However, I have found in some areas of the world they'll try to rewrap/package used blades to sell as new.

BamaT, Frijolero and RyX like this.
  3. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

Now you mention it, it does seem a little odd but in the past few years I've bought a couple of hundred of them off Amazon and I've been very pleased with them. The seller currently has 12,651 lifetime 100% positive reviews.

I've also bought Feathers from Amazon at about $22 per hundred and been happy with them even though they also sell for $40+ elsewhere.

I'm sure the manufacturing cost is low and I guess if you sell enough of them you can still make a decent profit at reduced prices?

4. RyX

RyX DoH!

Because Amazon isn't an auction, feel free to post links to your favorite low price sellers. ;) Feathers and (real) GSBs are great blades!
    Well, not for these. Too many afflictions Ajax won't scrub off to ever consider using someone else's used blades. If I ever run out of DE blades I wouldn't use my own old blades.

brit, BamaT and Frijolero like this.
  5. brit

brit in a box

i have bought gsb blades for good prices on the bay..no fakes so far..

wristwatchb and BamaT like this.
  6. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I bought countless Feather blades from EBay, and so far, each blade has been excellent. I guess that I still have 200 or so. I don't doubt that those are genuine as well.

brit, wristwatchb and BamaT like this.
  7. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Depends where they were manufactured. IIRC those blades are made in Russia. The price discrepancy can be attributed the exchange rate between the Ruble and USD. You either price it locally before the exchange rate which results in a lower price in USD or you price it for the market based on USD.

BamaT likes this.
  8. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

9. Juno

Juno Well-Known Member

I just received 100 Silver Blues, 100 Sputniks, 25 Nacets, and 100 7 o'clock yellow from the Amazon vendor. No problems. They are 100% legit. The yellows are the new laser etched blades.

BamaT and Eeyore like this.
  10. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

The 7 O'clock Yellows are my favorite modern made blades.

BamaT likes this.
  11. Juno

Juno Well-Known Member

I am thinking of trying them in techs, 40s superspeeds, and maybe a NEW short comb/ long comb. Also a blue tip and black tip, silver tip. Well....red tip too. I'll try them in everything. Krona too

BamaT and DaltonGang like this.