Country Music

Discussion in 'Clean Jokes' started by Erik Redd, May 12, 2018.

1. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I enjoy some new stuff, but not a whole lot.

2. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Must've been high.... by the super suckers...

Redfisher likes this.
  3. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

I like a lot of the Texas Red Dirt music,
    Roger Creager, Josh Abbott band, Turnpike trubadors etc

Redfisher and PickledNorthern like this.
  4. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

Well, two out of three ain't bad

Redfisher and gorgo2 like this.
  5. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Jim Heath and Brian Setzer - amazing rockabilly. Rockabilly is Rockabilly, and it's about being outrageous on its face. Country music is three chords and the truth. Two totally different things.

6. Bama Samurai

John 5 (Marilyn Manson, Rob Zombie, The Creatures) also happens to love country, and it loves him back.

Redfisher likes this.
  7. Bama Samurai

Enrico likes this.
  8. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I play it long enough to get my dog and truck back...then break the record. Happily divorced......

brit, Redfisher, gorgo2 and 2 others like this.
  9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Grab a beer and cigar in the chair on the porch.....

Redfisher likes this.
  10. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Willie just kicked out a really neat new album. At over 80, he still sounds really good (studio work??). He kind of addresses getting old, and talks about friends dropping off, having bad breath all the time, counting blessings.... but it’s funny, and poignant at the same time. If this is his swan’s song, he did it right, OMG. It is classic Willie, and I have been listening to it like crazy the last couple of weeks, since I found it. I can’t recommend it highly enough if you like Willie.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2018
  11. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I'll look into that album. Thanks.

12. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

Is anybody else getting these?

upload_2018-5-18_6-33-35.png

13. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

I think what happened is Rock disappeared and merged with Country. Proof: Bon Jovi, Hootie & the Blowfish, Kid Rock, and John Mellencamp now are performing in the country genre. As a Rock fan in the 70's and 80's I like a lot of it - Chris Stapleton in particular is a great example to me of modern country. Having said that, I gotta agree when they start rapping or singing lyrics like "girl, you make my speakers go boom boom" they should be shot (or at least roughed up a bit).

Paul Turner, Bama Samurai and gorgo2 like this.
  14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

My personal test. There's a spectrum and degrees here, and always there are exceptions, but the baseline:

Q. Is it of the same general era of Porter Wagoner, Red Sovine, Webb Pierce, Marty Robbins, Jim Reeves and Ray Price?

YES: It's probably country.

NO: It's likely a clever simulation of ersatz pseudo-country-ish pop, cynically designed to appeal to the broadest possible audience outside the bounds of traditional country while claiming to be pure country. 1990s and since.

Much of it is what classical style muzak is to Mozart or what RINOs are to the conservative base ... you know what it's pretending to be but it ain't that. Pretty sure it knows too.

Local oldies (80s and back) country station's tag line refers to those singers who say they're country "but ain't." So they go way way back.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
    Bama Samurai and Enrico like this.
  15. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Also, notice how few modern country stars, male and female, aren't pretty. That's not an accident.

brit and Bama Samurai like this.
  16. Bama Samurai

Modern Country is 70s rock that features steel guitar, upright bass, and affected southern accents.

brit likes this.
  17. Bama Samurai

Depending on how the Amp is set up, a guitar riff can sound like metal, rock, surf or country.

18. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

Fortunately for us, Country has saved the guitar. It might have gone extinct otherwise...

Bama Samurai likes this.
  19. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Juice Newton and her band were a good example of the rock/country merge.

Bama Samurai and Edison Carter like this.
  20. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

The guitar was/is needed for a classic "Dueling Banjos" effort.

brit and Edison Carter like this.