Couple Of Cases For John

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jimjo1031, Dec 16, 2018.

1. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Yesterday I received two cases that needed re-lining for @John Ruschmeyer and decided to work on them today. On the Service Set case, the top insert was missing and someone used a satin fabric, which the original didn't have, and was held on by masking tape. As I removed the old fabric, the metal inserts on both cases actually had some small rusted holes. The smaller case actually was splitting apart where the blade case and head go and used Super Glue Gel to keep them stable while working on it. I was actually wary of using a rotary tool on them as I didn't want to make new holes because they were thin. So I just sanded them by hand with a course sanding sponge..........

1.jpg
    2.jpg 3.jpg

Now for installing the fabric on the metal inserts, I first used two way tape, as thin as scotch tape, on the flat parts of the inserts. Besides being attached to the inserts, the fabric stays in place while I used fabric glue on the sides for the fabric. After drying, I then trimmed the fabric to about a 1/4" and used Super Glue Gel to attach them on the bottoms and sides of the inserts. The biggest part that kept me thinking was the missing top insert for the Service Set case. And the simplest and quickest idea I had was to glue the fabric directly to the case. First I glued a piece of fabric directly to the flat part. Then I took another piece and glued it to the first fabric piece. Then I applied Super Glue Gel to the sides, carefully, to glue the fabric. Then I trimmed the fabric flush to the edges. I used the same color fabric, purple-blue, but the pics look more blue because of the lighting..........
    4.jpg

Edit: A little better pic showing the fabric color........ 5.jpg

Edit again: I added two thumbtacks to the case to replace the original items.......... 7.jpg

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
    AGHisBBS, Enrico, Keithmax and 8 others like this.
  2. brit

brit in a box

very nice work jim..

jimjo1031 likes this.
  3. jimjo1031

Thanks Gary.

4. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Wow! This is why I’m glad I didn’t try to do this myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

brit and jimjo1031 like this.
  5. hins2jw0

hins2jw0 Well-Known Member

Awesome work Jim! If I ever need this work done on a vintage razor I pick up, I'm coming to you. Very impressive buddy. Keep the pics coming.

Josh

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

brit and jimjo1031 like this.
  6. jimjo1031

Thanks John.

7. jimjo1031

Thank you, I appreciate it.

8. jimjo1031

I put in one of my Old Type Sets into the case to get a complete picture of how it's supposed to look. One thing I'd like to do is add the two button type things at the two ends of the handle. There are two tiny holes in the insert that they were attached to. One idea I have is to put thumbtacks in their place, it's a close match. Thoughts anyone?

6.jpg
    1917 Service Set.JPG

9. John Ruschmeyer

I think that that is exactly what goes there. Racks to hang the (missing) mirror.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jimjo1031 likes this.
  10. jimjo1031

Ok, I had to do it. the case didn't look complete without them...........
    7.jpg

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
    AGHisBBS, MntnMan62, Enrico and 2 others like this.
  11. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Great restore. Well done.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

jimjo1031 likes this.
  12. jimjo1031

Thank you Chris.

13. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

14. jimjo1031

Thank you.

15. John Ruschmeyer

Jim,I forgot to ask... Any idea what's going on with the latch on the Service Set?

jimjo1031 likes this.
  16. jimjo1031

I noticed it was kinda weak. I tweaked the release latch a little, but then I noticed it was the top part that seemed a little pushed in some. It's causing the latch to not get a proper hold on it. It's slightly better, but I don't want to chance wrecking the top part as it might loosen up or even break off from the pins.

17. John Ruschmeyer

No problem. Thanks.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  18. brit

brit in a box

looks awesome jim..its nice to see them refurbished for another lifetime of service..

19. John Ruschmeyer

Just idly wondering... What can one do (besides completely drying the razor) to keep a relined case in good condition? Would the fabric tolerate being sprayed with something water repellant like you spray on shoes?

jimjo1031 likes this.
  20. jimjo1031

I just pat the razor dry. Haven't had any issues so far.