Crabtree & Evelyn BBB...still no joy

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by PalmettoB, May 28, 2007.

1. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

We were in Atlanta this weekend for the grand opening of the new World of Coca-Cola, and went over to Perimeter Mall. While we were in Crabtree & Evelyn, I asked about their brush stock. They still didn't have any.

I told the saleslady that the website had been out for a while, too. She said that the brushes, like the Best Badger Brush and the travel brush in the tube, had been great sellers around the holidays. Guess the word is getting out about these great little brushes!

2. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

That's the good news!

3. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

I know it's the mostly used brush I have and that new Crabtree brass/ebony one I just got is sweet. I got it for $18 on Ebay :D

4. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Hehehe...I was "watching" that one, but missed putting in a bid. That's a nice brush. I saw a display one when I was at the Crabtree & Evelyn at the Perimeter Mall.

5. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

My gain! I'll just watch the next one. I promise. :D Actually, that is it for me for brushes. There is a Kent BK12 on there right now that no one is bidding on at $149 but I think that is overkill. It's a relist. It's time to take a breather for large scale shaving purchases.

6. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

In stock now...but still no joy

A quick perusing of the C&E website while I was working on the shopping index shows that they now have EJ brushes in stock again, but they look different.

The basic $35 brush is different now, with a wood handle (as opposed to the lathe-turned imitation ivory resin) and the badger isn't as nice a grade ("pure" instead of "best," so it appears)...maybe just a lousy picture, so I'll reserve judgement until someone here gets their hands on one.

They have an wood-handled one in "pure badger" for $35, and an ebony-looking one. The "best badger" one is now in a black handle with nickel collar for $65.

If you have one of the old $35 best badger brushes, you might just have a collectors' item, now. :(

7. Edcculus

Edcculus Resident Bay Rummy

Glad I got mine when I did.

You can still buy the BBB straight from Edwin Jagger though.

8. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

9. Will

Will Nevermind

I got the brush off Baron, just under the wire!

From some, the word on the street is the C&E BBB is not the same as EJ BBB, yes the are both the same as in EJ BBB but many think the C&E version is better.

10. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Many?? Many?? I'm just one person! :p

I don't recall anyone else backing me up on the difference, but ah well, that's what happens when you get old. :ashamed001

11. Will

Will Nevermind

Your opinion counts as 10,000:D

12. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

It appears that C&E dropped the BBB for a cheaper Pure grade instead. Of course the $35 price tag didn't change.

Sucks :angry019

13. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

I know I won't be getting rid of mine any time soon. Maybe I need to put that puppy in the back so I don't use it so often. :D Let's see, which one should I move up front?

Kent BK4 Small Ivory Silver Tip Badger Shaving Brush
    Ronney 22mm Style 2 Small Ivory Super Silvertip Badger Shave Brush
    Shavemac 23mm Handmade Nickel Ivory Pure Badger Shave Brush

14. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

-------> The old C&E "Best" badger is great, but until somebody gets the new one in their hands and uses it....I don't see the need for aggressive bashing :confused:

The C&E "Best" badger brush I have (the old one), seemed very similar in quality to a Savile Row "Pure" Badger.

15. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

OK, so who's going to get me one to try out? I haven't bashed it or praised it yet but, I'm willing to give it a go. :D

16. Will

Will Nevermind

OK then

Buy it and do a review, the handle looks cool, but the hair dose not look as good.

17. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Doc, I think Mike is right, that they're using a cheaper grade of badger hair, but it also could just be a lousy pic. I would go to the store and check it out, but the nearest storefront for me in in Atlanta or Charleston. Hmm....maybe time for a raodtrip?

18. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

I don't doubt that it may well be a decent brush. A company like C&E puts quality products on their shelves, at least we hope.

Blair, come back to Austin and we'll do some research on the situation :D

19. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

I'd love to take you up on that! Hopefully this fall.

20. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Flattery will get you everywhere..........well......maybe not. :rolleyes: