Crazy Question of the month!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Lothar101, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Lothar101

Lothar101 Active Member

Does anyone know if a Super Adjustable could be re-plated? In Black Rhodium for example.

2. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

3. lindyhopper66

I just googled black rhodium and indeed there is such a thing. It's also called ruthenium.

4. lindyhopper66

Here is a ring being rhodium plated.

ohpaos likes this.
  5. Lothar101

Lothar101 Active Member

Was just wondering if it was possible to re-plate the super adjustable line of razors period really :)

6. Lothar101

Lothar101 Active Member

As in has anyone ever re-plated a Super Adjustable?

7. lindyhopper66

Yes. Most likely. You can always replate the head and any metal on the razor.

8. Turk

Turk Well-Known Member

<------ I replated my 59 Fatboy in Rhodium.

9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I think the handle of some later SA's is aluminum, not typical brass, but could be mistaken. Whether that makes any difference in plating?

10. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I think Gorgo's right about the aluminum handle. Aluminum can be plated but I think it's a little tricky. I really like the look of that black rhodium plating. You'd have one beautiful and unique razor if you could find someone who can pull it off.

11. Lothar101

Lothar101 Active Member

I think Gorgo's right as well and that's what I was thinking!

12. Lothar101

Lothar101 Active Member

Mine is a first year 1969 any ideas as to handle material? Feels heavier than aluminum.

13. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I think the only problem might be the coating on the handle which from what I've read is a "textured acrylic resin" on the models that use brass, I've never seen one of the aluminum handled razors. I don't think the resin can be removed and then replaced, so could it(the resin) be put into the plating solution with no ill effects to either the coating or the plating? Other than that I don't see why you couldn't replate it in Rhodium or anything else that strikes your fancy. It would be a Fantstic looking razor thats or sure!! :)

14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Well, I can tell you from experience (luckily with a late model Super Speed, not a Super Adjustable) that the gallon jug of degreaser from Walmart auto dept. will remove that black coating very quickly, but only because the sodium hydroxide will also totally dissolve any aluminum that soaks in it. All I was left with was the nickel plated head, the knob and the rod that connected them. Moral of the story: I have no idea how to remove the black coating that wouldn't wreck the tread on the grip (sanding it off leaves a very smooth barrel...again, don't ask me how I know) but you'd have to do that successfully in order to plate.

ohpaos and feeltheburn like this.