Creed Cologne - Fake Rip-offs

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by dougr, Aug 11, 2010.

1. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

There are legendary fake Rolex's, Cartier's, Hermes, Gucci, and other products to mention a few. I see advertised Creed Cologne as authentic and not a fake or rip-off in forums and re-sale sites.

Does anyone know or have experience about this and how do you tell the fake one or is it that obvious? When I posted on another blog site my post was immediately removed. I think that this is a place where we can alert each other of issues and discuss possible problems among friends with who we communicate.

2. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Interesting question. I have no real answer to offer, but consider this; what is the price difference between the normal retail price and the forum / resale sites?

For example, at Walgreen's, you can get 4oz of Green Irish Tweed for $138.00:

http://www.walgreens.com/store/cata...=G&ec=frgl_&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=sku5452665

But at Neiman Marcus, that same 4oz bottle is $270.00:

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/c...CIGoogleBaseFeed&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=C2481

Which is a difference of $132.00, which if my math is right, about a 95% difference.

So does that price difference mean that the Walgreen's is a fake, or does it mean that Neiman Marcus is getting more out of their clientèle for the same product?

Or, am I looking at the question wrong?

Or am I looking at the wrong products?

3. OldAF

OldAF New Member

You are looking at the right stuff. Creed is normally ~$250 a bottle. It is so pricy and so frequently faked that recommendations are to only buy from a known legit source... and they all sell for about the same price.

I never EVER expected to see Creed at Walgreens. That is news to me. I posted that info on another site to get reaction. Maybe I'm the only one who didn't know. ;)

4. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

The following information is what I received from an informed source-expert-whom I trust and bought a partial bottle of Creed from recently:"

"1st, having smelled counterfeit SMW, OV, and Himalaya, they all smell horrible, worse than the worst designer level perfume. I couldn't believe how monumentally awful bootleg OV and SMW were, just smelled like the cheapest feminine dishsoap possible, one full of toxic surfactants and such.

GIT is the easiest to tell as the counterfitters do not frost the upper crest logo lettering on the black bottle.

Himalaya fakes generaly do not have pale grey/silver painted caps, they have shiny chrome caps.

SMW, Tabarome Millesime, OV and OS the only way to tell is the lack of a lot number or getting a picture of the inner spray mechanism's white rubber gasket. If it's solid metal with no white rubber when the spray head is pulled of it's likely a fake.

Other dead giveaways like I said, is when a seller is ONLY selling the following creeds:

GIT
    Himalaya
    Millesime Imperial
    Spring Flower
    Silver Mountain Water
    OS
    OV

Basically just always ask for lot numbers and pics of the inner spray mechanism, if they hesitate, it's because they have something to hide. "

Evidently this counterfiting is happening and the more we all know about it, so much the better for our shaving friends and community. Several dozen bottles of fake Creed sold at something less than $250 per bottle to the niave is a big ripoff IMHO. Think Christmas time.....

5. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

Creed fraud

:sad029Yep, just got ripped off with a counterfit Creed bottle of Royal Water which is not one of the common scents to counterfit. The packaging is beautiful with the inner box very nicely done. There is no lot number and the seal for the innner spray mech. is metal rather than white rubber. Other minor differences are in the spray cap. Attached are some pictures with the Silver Mountain Water the authentic and the Royal Water counterfit.

While I have a claim filed, I thought this experience while somewhat embarassing, may help others.

Attached Files:

Bal d'Afrique likes this.