Cremo brushless cream- Good? Bad? Mediocre? -Wet Shaving existentialism

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by MR41, Jun 3, 2019.

1. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

i saw Cremo brushless cream in Walmart. The package promoted how slick it was. It made me contemplate whether I should try it and if successful, scale way down on the hobby side of wet shaving.

What are your experiences with brushless Cremo? If it weren’t for enjoying the wet shaving ritual and hobby, could you / would you use Cremo exclusively?

Terry and RyX like this.
  2. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Its good stuff if you like brushless and latherless. Its very slick and has good residual slickness. Im a big fan of the Sandalwood.

Terry and MR41 like this.
  3. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Thanks for telling me about it. Like most, I started wet shaving to save money and then experienced the run away scope creep that many do and it turned in to a hobby. I’m trying to decide if I should trim the hobby side of wet shaving and if I do I ‘ve wondered if Cremo is the way to go.

Terry and Frijolero like this.
  4. RyX

RyX DoH!

I have a tube of Regular & Cooling. By itself it's OK but I think it excels as an additive to other soaps. If you have a less than spectacular soap that needs more slip and slide mix up a batch and let me know what you think. If I recall, CremArko was quite good. Or maybe it was Van der Cremo...
    I've moved on to hard soaps for their economy. Not buying water, just soap!

MR41, John Beeman, chevyguy and 3 others like this.
  5. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

For me, Cremo wasn't the answer because a tube is $6 and shaving every other day a tube would only last me about a month. I can easily get 6 months out of a 4 oz tub of soap, so the savings wasn't enough for me. IMO, if you are looking to pinch pennies, Arko, Tabac or La Toja are still better options.
    Cremo is good stuff though and you should at least try it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

MR41, Terry and Frijolero like this.
  6. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Thanks for breaking it down for me,

7. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

10/4. That kinda gets at my quandary. I had decided to stick with budget creams and soaps. Based on what you said I think that’s where I’ll stay.

Terry and RyX like this.
  8. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

For me, its the best that you can get in this area. I started out using it before I started using a brush and cream and soap.
    If thats the only thing there is, I would use it in a heartbeat. Still have a couple tubes around I bought last year. If used correctly, even in my hard water, it worked well.
    tp

brit, RyX and MR41 like this.
  9. RyX

RyX DoH!

Do you prefer creams over triple milled hard soaps? After using vintage Williams & Colgate soaps I decided to lean toward hard soaps. Creams require preservatives because of the water content. Otherwise it's the same stuff, but the hard soaps don't sell me watered down, prehydrated soap.

As to top of the line trendy products it's incremental improvement. If Arko gets you a 7.5/10 quality lather and several shave for a penny, what do you get for a $40 soap? Nice photos and the respect of everyone in the SOTD thread plus a 8/10 lather. There are some soaps that are in that Premium range that hits the fuzzy line. If you like the scent of Tabac it's worth getting a refill stick for $11/3.52 ounces, but not the glass dish at $28/4.4 ounces. Either way it's a long lasting product in a hard soap form. That RazoRock WTP is amazing Italian triple milled in three different scents. You can get 3-3.5 ounce tubs in orange, lime, and barbershop for $18. It's hard, dry, and takes very little product to get really good lather (rumored to be made by Tcheon Fung Sing, a premium soap maker).

Since I don't invest in brand name EDT or cologne, I'm hit or miss matching soap and AS/cologne scents. That's another ephemeral thing - the scent of the soap hardly last past rinsing it off. If scent is an attraction that has lead me to make a purchase of low/mid tier priced products. I couldn't help myself when I smelled Stirling's Glastonbury so a sample got me a tub of soap and the bottle of AS.

Leo501, MR41, Terry and 1 other person like this.
  10. brit

brit in a box

very cool..

Terry likes this.
  11. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Cooling version for me. I'm out at the moment but I like it a lot. Couldn't tolerate the sandalwood, it irritated my neck.

Leo501, RyX, brit and 1 other person like this.
  12. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Hey Gary, see you finally put up a picture of yourself so we can recognize you on the street....
    :happy097:

Here's my self portrait I did on my cell phone. ;)

paint_03-06-2019-10-42-13.jpg

tp

Frijolero, RyX, brit and 1 other person like this.
  13. brit

brit in a box

thank you Terry..:D

RyX and Terry like this.
  14. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I use a lot of cream( I like it and it’s faster, I’m also trying to keep some measure of novelty). I’m liking the cheap stuff lately-Col Conk, VDH. (I used to like rich lathers, but theses days I like thinner wetter lathers.) I like tallow soaps, but the tallow irritates me many times because I shave so often( sometimes 6-12hours apart depending on need and shift.) Many added fragerences in soap irritate me( I have pif’d alot of soaps and creams for that reason.) I think Tabac for performance and ease of use may be the best soap out there, but I can’t get along with the scent. I used Arko and Derby soap exclusively for over a year when I started. It is drying and I’ve tired of smelling it.(I’m sure I’ll make up with it someday.)

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    Frijolero, brit and RyX like this.
  15. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

:happy102:

brit likes this.
  16. brit

brit in a box

17. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

Cremo is super slick and it works great for me when I am running late and need a quick smooth shave. I like the cooling peppermint version. During the summer I add it to my citrus shaving soaps for the menthol effect. I would use Cremo daily if I had to.

Clayton

Sent from my LG-K450 using Tapatalk

MR41 likes this.
  18. chevyguy

Modern Williams works great with Cremo.

Clayton

RyX and MR41 like this.
  19. chevyguy

Check out Stirling Soaps. I think you will find something you like. I don't consider them budget soaps at their affordable price. They contain quality ingredients. I'll be going with Stirling once I use up all of my other soaps, and creams.

Clayton

Leo501, RyX and MR41 like this.
  20. chevyguy

Have you tried MWF. It has Tabac like lather and the lanolin in it really takes good care of your skin during and after your shave.

Clayton

MR41 and RyX like this.