Cross border Tech's dispelling the myths

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Red Rider, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Today I had a most excellent shave with a newly acquired U.S. made triangular base hole Tech and Astra SP blade . I found Tech's with similar bases varying in weight from 42-46 grams regardless of their made in.
    Side by side U.S. Tech's are virtually the same as Canadian Tech's of the same type be it oval to oval or triangular to triangular with just the made in being the difference.
    If ever comparing be sure to use the same blade make on both. Tech's do better with a sharp blade. I prefer the slightly more aggressive triangular base versions regardless of made in stamp. I've gone through more Tech's than any other razor I've owned or used and can dispel any myths that one particular "made in" is superior to the other.
    Enjoy your Gillette Tech razor a non flashy keener when paired with the right blade and technique never disappoints.
    IMG_1261.JPG
    Cda
    IMG_1262.JPG
    U.S.
    IMG_1263.JPG

Recklesstr, BamaT, gorgo2 and 2 others like this.
  2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

So you're saying that, shavewise, you find no big differences in any Techs? I very rarely use them so can't say.

Red Rider likes this.
  3. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Correct as long as one is comparing triangular to triangular and oval to oval base holes.

4. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I have come to enjoy using techs. I have a few of the early American ones and a Feather Portable clone.

All are great shavers. I definitely think they benefit from a nice blade and a little more weight.

I haven't tried a Canadian verson, but I do have an English one on the way.

Red Rider likes this.
  5. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I love my 3 techs. I have both the triangle and oval and enjoy both!

Red Rider likes this.
  6. Bezoar

Bezoar Active Member

I love both the heads, but the ww2 contract tech with cast handle and triangle base plate is smoother then my regular gold tech fat handle with oval slots. weird..

Red Rider likes this.