Cure For Underarm Body Odor??

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by DaltonGang, Sep 4, 2016.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Sorry, nothing too weird, just my observations about my experience.
    My story:
    Several weeks ago I used an Alum Crystal, like I do often, for my under arms. It helps almost eliminate sweat. But, at the end of the day, I had a rash. I have very sensitive skin and get rashes easily. I tried every ointment I knew, over several days, and nothing but Betadine was working. I figured if Betadine was working, maybe Isopropyl Alcohol might work. I doused both armpits with 91 proof alcohol, let it dry, and went about my day, without any Gillette underarm deodorant(this was aggravating the rash). I splashed myself like this in the morning, and at night, after a shower, for several days. The rash was gone, but I also noticed I hadn't needed any deodorant either.
    I got to thinking; What is under arm odor? It's just an abundance of bacteria. . The alcohol kills bacteria, therefore, no smell.
    So, for about 2 1/2 weeks, I have applied alcohol once in the morning and once at night. Not even a hint of underarm smell during the day. Even if it's been 12 hours later, after a hard workout. . Also, very little sweat. With the heat and humidity in Houston, I usually sweat a lot. I typically had to apply deodorant twice a day, and really needed it before a workout. I'm going to do the alcohol experiment for a while, unless anyone can tell me why it's a bad idea.

crackstar, mikewood and Jorvaljr like this.
  2. Bussemand

Bussemand Well-Known Member

The safety data sheet mentions skin irritation with redness and pain. "May be absorbed through the skin with possible systemic effects"...
    I think there's a reason this stuff isn't sold as a deodorant

crackstar likes this.
  3. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    That is the Alum Crystals, right?

crackstar likes this.
  4. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Ya got anything else in the cupboard that's 90 proof and isn't isopropyl alcohol? Of course, you may not want yer pits smelling like gin.

Seriously though, I wonder if an astringent would work. If you can put it on your face twice a day, why couldn't you rub it on your pits?
    Witch Hazel is only about 10% alcohol.

crackstar and DaltonGang like this.
  5. DaltonGang

Yes, it's the Alum Crystal block. I've used it all summer, last year, to control sweat. It works for me.

Try it and see. It couldn't hurt.

6. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Alum crystal/block comes in two forms, ammonium alum (which is man-made) and potassium alum (which is natural). The one the OP was using may have been the ammonium form as it's pretty common to have a skin reaction to this form. A reaction with the natural stuff is much less common.

As for using alcohol on the ol' pits... it'll work, but pit skin tends to be delicate and alcohol may over dry and/or irritate the area all on its own.

You may want to try plan ol' coconut oil instead. @twhite (father of the bunny) and I have had good results with that. You can also try mixing a little baking soda into the coconut oil. But, coconut oil is anti-microbial all on its own.

crackstar, RyX and Slipperyjoe like this.
  7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Cheap old antibacterial ointment will work if nothing else is available but leaves a greasy film if not removed promptly. Lasts a few days IIRC. But 91% is the sure fire way to go if one won't/can't use deo. I don't do so often but have never had any negatives when doing so.

crackstar and Bama Samurai like this.
  8. DaltonGang

Sorry I didn't say originally, but the alum block I use is Potassium Alum. I try to stay away from the aluminum based products.

crackstar likes this.
  9. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

I haven't used a commercial deodorant for a long time (over a year) and I can easily go 24 hours without and the pits wont odor from absense of deodorant.

I think you're on to something with the bacteria.

I use a home made coconut + baking soda solution on a daily basis and on travels I just use my alum block. Either works wonderfully. If you're just starting up, you need to allow your pits to acclimate and "cleanse" them selves. Years of commercial deodorants accumulate a lot of chemicals and bad stuff in the skin that needs to be "sweat out".

After having used my home made for so long, I'm daily baffled that anyone would want to use commercial ones with lots of chemicals and maybe even perfume.

crackstar and DaltonGang like this.
  10. DaltonGang

Wonderfully said.

Cleansing myself is one of the reasons I am avoiding deodorants for now.

crackstar and tuxxdk like this.
  11. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I have not used commercial anti-perspirant or deodorant for a very long time. I was unable to find one that didn't burn or cause a rash. I use a crystal rock type deodorant. As I age I don't seem to sweat as much as I did when I was younger. I sometime use an alcohol free With Hazel...and it seems to work fine. I have some in a small spray bottle.

crackstar and tuxxdk like this.
  12. DaltonGang

Just a little update:
    It's been around 7 months now, since I have basically given up underarm deodorants. I might use deodorants once, every 2-3 weeks. I only apply alcohol in the mornings, and sometimes at night. Zero body odor, and very little to no sweating. This coming from a person who grew up with 24 he sweat rings under the arms. The wife even noticed how well the alcohol is working for me. Oh, zero irritation or side effects.

John Beeman likes this.
  13. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I sweat like hell even in the winter but I don't have any body odour. The reason? Two showers a day and I ALWAYS use a deodorant. Briefly, back in the 90's when I was living in Greece I would also sprinkle on some baby powder before the deodorant but I had to quit using it because it made me cough and wheeze suddenly.

John Beeman likes this.
  14. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Thanks for the update. I was wondering if the alcohol would be too drying but obviously not.

15. DaltonGang

Not drying at all, for the skin. I also like using alcohol, because deodorants contain several chemicals I just don't want my body absorbing.

16. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

You could always use Aqua Velva Blue Ice for your armpits. Alcohol AND smell good!

Edit - be careful of too much alcohol on the skin. Unless you use everclear or similar, the alcohols are deliberately poisoned so that they don't have to pay extra taxes on them. That DOES get absorbed through the skin.

17. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

First person to use 140 proof white corn liquor from a Mason jar wins.

18. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

So, my gin won't work?

How about "Oh Dieu, Quelle Est Cette Puanteur?" cologne?

Bama Samurai likes this.
  19. Bama Samurai

I am not a huge fan of juniper berry as a man's grooming product...but if you're making martinis, by all means have one for me. Gin, up, and please take a glance at the dry vermouth as you shake it. Two olives on the rim.

But to your question- Yes, but you must shave your underarm hair ATG with a straight and apply Alum liberally before applying the gin. It maximizes the antimicrobial action of the EO in the gin.

Oh yeah, and this is the Internet, so video is needed....

20. Bama Samurai

Taxes are usually taken from skin.