Custom handles

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Shamrock, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Shamrock

Shamrock Active Member

Newbie here, and I've been searching the threads for info on custom handles. I've found info about different razors, but have yet to see anything on the Merkur 23C (long handle). I like the shave I get from it, but the handle is a little thin for my hands, and I find my hands tire trying to grasp it, so I'm hoping for a fatter handle, preferably with knurling. I really love the stuff I see that Bob's Razor Works (Robert Smith) created, but he passed last year, and my only hope of one of his handles is someone looking to sell theirs.

Any ideas?
    Thanks

2. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

iKon and Weber both sell handles. It sounds like you would like the Bulldog style that both companies offer.

And welcome, nice to have you here.

Shamrock and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  3. Shamrock

Shamrock Active Member

Thanks, I'll check them out; yep, I've seen the Bulldog handles, and that's exactly what I'm thinking.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  4. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I can speak for the Weber Bulldog, because I own one. It's knurled really well and is pretty solid. For less than $50, you can have one of those handles shipped to you.

Shamrock and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  5. Shamrock

Shamrock Active Member

Thanks for the info Ryan, I've sent an email to Weber asking if their Bulldog will fit the 23C...and I love that it's as easy as adding it to my cart at Amazon - already set to be pulled from my account with no other hassle.

6. Shamrock

Shamrock Active Member

Update - got an email from Webber confirming that their Bulldog handle will work on the 23C, so it's been purchased. :)
    Looking forward to the shave experience with a heftier handle. Thanks again Ryan.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  7. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I have/use a Weber bulldog on my Muhle R41. It makes a huge difference!

Shamrock likes this.
  8. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

When you get it, we would love some Before & After pictures.

Shamrock likes this.
  9. Shamrock

Shamrock Active Member

Consider it done Sara-s :)

Can't wait to try the combination

10. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

The Weber handle will fit perfectly and yes you will enjoy the heft and knurling, at least I know I do, the Weber Classic handle is also nice if you want a longer handle with the same heft and knurling (I'm not sure of the length/dia. difference between the Weber Classic and Merkur 23C)..

Just an FYI most modern(ie,Parker,Sabi,Cadet) 3 piece handles will interchange with each other and vintage Gillette's..The thread size is 10/32...Another nice vintage razor handle thats not overly expensive to buy is the "Durham Duplex" DE(look for them on ebay)..I'm not even sure you can even find blades for the head anymore,but the handle works fine on other DE's..

If you'd liked BRW handles as do so many of us, but missed out on getting one as I did:( Go to "shaveabuck" and check out the Sabi T2 razor it looks just like one of Bob's designs, I use mine regularly..Another place you can check out for handles is "greistshaving" he makes 2 really nice handles one out of stainless(fat) and one out of brass(fatter)...You may have to email him as many times "he's out of stock" on his site...But both of his handles are worth getting even with the little bit of extra hassle I.M.O. Hope this helps.....:)

Shamrock likes this.
  11. Shamrock

Shamrock Active Member

Thanks for all the great info 178-bplatoon, I love the look of the Sabi T2, but only see it in gold plate - though it looks like I can get a complete Sabi T2 for the amazing price of $24+.

I went ahead and looked on eBay, and found a Durham Duplex...and bought it.

[​IMG][​IMG]

I have to say, that is a LONG blade it takes! VERY cheap though.

As was pointed out previously by Sara-s, people here ARE enablers of RAD...I just didn't know they'd be pushers too LOL.

Thanks again.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  12. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Oh yes we "VERY" much enjoy helping you spend your money on razor stuff!! Hell it's better than drugs...:)

Shamrock and GDCarrington like this.
  13. billdog2

billdog2 Well-Known Member

Hi all, to anybody who might know where I can find a special handle that is flat metal (not fussy about material) and has an offset (neck) to move the
    handle away from the center of the head. Saw one on a you tube demo for simbatec razolution razor, it has a small "o" ring type washer where it screws
    into the head, looks like a straight piece of metal that is bent near the top and screws onto a 2 or 3 piece razor. I`ve googled my fingers to the bone, no luck yet, any help would surely be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

billdog2