Custom Wostemholm w/Purpleheart Scales

Discussion in 'Razor Restoration' started by str8razor, May 1, 2007.

1. str8razor

str8razor New Member

This razor has an old George Wostemholm & Son blade that is 5/8 wide and is nearly a perfect wedge as the picture with the ruler on the edge shows. The edge is free from any nicks and rust spots. The front side of the blade shows an etching that is very faint but reads "The Amercians Fellowship - Give The Right Hand Of Brotherhood To All Nations, And Own, An Universal". This was given to me by the person from whom I bought the blade. The back side of the blade has a few rust pits that have been cleaned and polished. The mark side of the shank is inscribed with “G. Wostemholm & Son I-XL Sheffield Eng.” The pile side of the shank has no markings. This blade was very dull when I got it so to prevent any extra honing of the spine I applied electricians tape to the spine when it was honed. This blade is shave ready.

The scales are Purpleheart wood with several coats of sanded and polished CA (cyanoacrylate {super glue}) as the finish. Set in both sides of the scales is a Blue Synthetic or Imitation Sapphire.

The bulls eye collars are brass as are the pins and the wedge.

If interested this razor is for sale on eBay at the following link:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...MESE:IT&viewitem=&item=160112158422&rd=1&rd=1

Attached Files:

2. xChris

xChris Member

Interesting use of the sapphires in the scales, and the finish looks great.

3. Bill

Bill Man of Steel

Hi Bill...

Good to see you here. It looks like you gave a very early 1800's blade a new lease and a fresh start. I like the purple heart and the ca finish. Good job.

4. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Great job, Bill! :D

5. str8razor

str8razor New Member

Hey Bill and thanks. It is good to see that you are still in the loop except on another forum. This blade has been around for awhile. I believe that it may have been a wedge in its original days and still is I guess. It hasn't been honed to the point that the spine is ridiculously flat and ugly so thought that I would put some scales on it and see how it goes. I have an old W&B blade I am going to work on next so we will see how that goes.
    Catch you later..................