Cutting One's Hair with a Safety Razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Shave7, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Shave7

Shave7 Active Member

I was a little suprised at the scant and cool reply to my original question above from another thread, so this afternoon I decided to experiment and try the concept myself.

I had a result that was 100% positive and I won't need a haircut again for my customary 3 to 4 weeks. I started to just thin out a few areas of hair on my head, but ended up giving myself a complete haircut with an open-combed safety razor.

I used a Gillette NEW Long Comb razor from the 1930's. At random I loaded it with a used and discarded Personna Lab blade from my blade bank. I don't know why I didn't use a new blade. I just didn't. I used the razor for 80% of the haircult and I used a pair a "barbers shears" for the remaining 20%.

One has to be careful and gentle and slow with the process, because an open-combed razor is very efficient, read: aggressive. The total time invested was maybe 20 minutes and there was no waiting for an available barber. And there was no obligation to tip.

I realize I am basing my good result on a one-time experience and I'm enjoying an honeymoon period. However, men, I am cautiously optimistic that I will fire my professional barber and become a "do it myself-er." Even though I believe I am a good communicator, somehow barbers too often fail to cut my hair exactly the way I like it. But now that will all change. I will cut my hair exactly the way I like it.

BTW I bought this particular razor about 2 years ago in an antique store, and as I remember I paid $15 to $20 dollars for it. That is the going rate for a haircut in my neck of the woods. So it appears that I have recouped the cost of the razor, and the savings from my do-it-myself future haircuts will be 100% profit.

And now if you will excuse me for 3 minutes, I have to sweep up some well crafted hair clippings from the bathroom floor and from the sink. :drool:

Bussemand and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Excellent!

3. Bussemand

Bussemand Well-Known Member

I guess you saw the Cowan thread ;)
    Well, i believe shavettes were originally used to cut and thin hair before the comb bits dissapeared and people started shaving with them. The new shavette type hair thinners/stylers can be found on ebay and look like half a scissor with comb teeth on the blade.
    My haircuts consist of buying a new hair/beard trimmer every 10 years, and trimming down to 2mm once a week. Haircuts for men in my neck of the woods cost about the same as a decent trimmer - a super deluxe with titanium plating and GPS if we're talking womens prices