CVD19 Collection. Black Walnut

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by DS Thomson, Apr 12, 2020.

1. DS Thomson

DS Thomson Member

IMG_3673.JPG IMG_3674.JPG

I was taking the centre out of a walnut log for a handle, and it came apart so nicely I thought they would
    make nice stands...black walnut reverse..

DE Cartman, Juno, gorgo2 and 7 others like this.
  2. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Absolutely stunning! I have a lot of black walnut I am saving for when I have more free time. I will have to keep your work in mind as inspiration.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

3. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

That super bulbous end looks like it would fit the hand just right and looks great!

4. DS Thomson

DS Thomson Member

Thanks .
    I stabilized this walnut, thinking it might be a good idea so that the cupped stand would not crack....not too sure if was necessary, or desired. Difficult to finish.
    The other parts of the set were finished in a conventional way with CA.

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  5. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

How'd you stabilize? Minwax, mason jar, and a brake bleeder or something more sophisticated? I have some knife scales I want to make (on the ever lengthening list) and have been cataloging different methods of accomplishing stuff.

6. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Very nice looking set.

7. DS Thomson

DS Thomson Member

Stabilize..I picked up a vacuum chamber a few months ago..I like to work with the local maple, spalted/burl, and it ( I think ) benefits from the stabilizing.

I don't know that much about it really,,,,just ask guys, look at you tube...I dry the blanks in an small oven, put them in the vacuum with resin, and then bake them again in the oven.

Spalted maple that I think would normally break, seems to hold up, and turns nicely. The sets finish OK on the lathe, but the stand I am still trying to figure out..after stabilizing, the wood won't take a finish..for me anyways......