D.R. Harris?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by JayKay, Apr 13, 2009.

1. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

So I ordered a shave soap in the mahogany bowl from The English Shaving Company. I waited a week or so and it arrived in the mail today. I ordered the nice Almond scent but when I opened it, it smelled like crap. The soap was sealed in the bowl with the DR Harris logo holding it closed. When I opened it I thought that it smelled like the stain used on the bowl and it was just closed before being dried. I'm not sure. Moral of the story is though my Almond soap smells nothing like the almond cream. And to be more specific, the almond soap smells like CRAP. So I dont think its the ESCs fault one bit. D.R. must of put the wrong soap in or screwed up when packaging it.

What do I do? I'm not wasting my money sending it back.

2. JimR

JimR Active Member

Maybe let it air out? The scent might dissipate after a while.
    Also, write a letter (I mean on paper) with a very polite but firmly worded complaint about the situation to D.R. Harris. Explain that you are a happy D.R. Harris user but in this one case you are very displeased. Explain that you would send the product back but the international shipping would simply be too much. **EDIT** Ask them for advice on what you should do...
    DON'T ask for a replacement.
    If they are half a company, they will send you a new puck of soap.

3. Austin

Austin Member

I agree with Jim. Take it one step further and remove the puck from the bowl.

4. JayKay

Its been sitting out on the counter for 12 hours now. Still smells like ass. But so does the bowl. So I dont know which caused which to smell. For all I know it could be one of their other scented soaps. I havent tried the 2 others whos names dont describe their scents. I'll see if I can email the company. My hand writing looks like a pissed off 4yr old.

5. Austin

Austin Member

To my nose, DR Harris Marlborough is not a pleasant scent. I'm not sure I would describe it as ass though. :D

6. JimR

JimR Active Member

My recommendation is, DON'T email. Letters are taken much more seriously.
    Type it up and print it out; paper is the key--emails tend to be ignored, especially as people get so many these days.

(For what it's worth, I teach Business Communication as part of my English teaching, and I have personally had TONS of success with written letters).

7. boyextraordinare

boyextraordinare New Member

At the Andover Shop in Andover, MA, a store I'd frequent a good deal when I went to prep. school, the owners don't do business with D.R. Harris anymore because the company is a nuisance - hard to deal with, makes mistakes, doesn't care.

One gave me the store's whole Harris soap stash, pucks and pucks in bowls; and I don't know how old they were, but half the bowls were in pathetic condition, though none smelled.

I've no idea what the English Company is but email them nicely or suck it up.

8. boyextraordinare

I honestly can't smell a trace of anything in Harris' Almond SS...

Bakery Sweet Almond = Conk. I hate that type of fake, overwhelming smell.

Keep it classy, Shave Den.

9. JayKay

I've used the soap and almond cream of GFT and the TOBS cream. I know what almond smells like. I have the DR shave cream sitting next to the soap. I expect a slightly less sweet and less prominent smell. I'm talking about this stuff reeking. It smells absolutely nothing like almond, let alone the SC, or anything else I've ever smelled. I would have to assume that their almond soap would have some resemblence to the cream, or at least almond. I'll take your advice Jim. First I'll email. If it doesnt accomplish anything I'll write a letter. I'll also email where I got it from and ask if their pucks smell anything like almond.

10. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

I have heard over and over the issues w/ D.R. Harris scents. I have no intention of even trying them knowing that there is a good chance that they will be sub par in scent. I really due love the arlington scent but if the soap doesnt smell? whats the point? I like the scent of the almond cream but performance wise...it was just OK.

11. JayKay

I thought the cream performed well. I figured I'd treat my self to soap in a bowl. Big mistake.

12. whiskerlips

whiskerlips Member

I had the puck of almond not too long ago. The scent was not great and the performance wasn't great either. I coudn't detect an almond scent at all.

13. Austin

Austin Member

Harris Almond has a spicy note. It's a great soap.

14. TBoner

TBoner Member

Harris Almond soap has nothing to do with the cream. It doesn't smell like almond at all (neither does Trumper almond soap). It smells bitter and soapy and powdery, like eau de quinine. I'm guessing the soap you got smells exactly as it's supposed to. It seems to be a scent that some really hate. I like it.

Regards,
    Tim

15. JayKay

Well it will be on the BST in the next couple of days.

16. Justin Low

Justin Low Member

Strange... I picked up a refill of the Almond scented soap yesterday. It does not smell anything like almonds. Actually it does not smell like anything besides soap.

I've been looking for a less marzipan-y, sweet almond smell, and more of a natural one. I've heard Cella or Valobra might be a good choice. What do you think?

I've tried Trumper's Almond; way too sweet. T&H Almond is less sweet but not exactly there either.

17. boyextraordinare

Exactly, with DR Harris' Almond SS, I've never smelled the slightest trace of almond.

It's an admirable performer though.

Along the same vein, l'Occitane's SS performs well enough but it has no scent save for that of soap...

18. Justin Low

Justin Low Member

Hmm, the L'Occitane soap does perform well, but I seem to have a reaction to it... Staying off it for a while.

19. boyextraordinare

Mr. Freeze reported the same problem.

Anyway, it's good for something that's readily available - but the scent, or lack thereof, just bites.

20. PeterS

PeterS Member

My Harris Almond SS smells quite nice. I had to leave it a few months though, it had a funny chemical sort of smell when I got it.

Pete