Daily Driver Razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Simon Smailus, Jun 23, 2018.

Tags:
  1. I'm always interested in seeing what people are using for daily drivers. I know many of us have many razors and they're all great, but the daily driver niche impacts me the most as I need to shave quick and get off to work. I'm sure many of us are in the same position. Some of my razors are great, but I'd never use them as my daily driver as it's too risky. I don't want to turn up at work looking like I've been attacked by bladed ninjas.

So my suggestion is that we only post razors we ourselves use as daily drivers. It would be great to have a comprehensive list of razors useable as a daily driver.

Another item we need to think about is that we do not all have the same level of experience. Someone with 10+ years experience of daily shaving might use a daily driver that will shred the face off a beginner and can also offer more advice. To try to help with this I wondered if it would be acceptable to use a system that would make it clear at which stage we are at. I wanted something simple so I thought of the following:
    • 0 = number of shaves per week. I thought this would best show people our experience. I know this number can alter week to week but we can work out our average.
    • y = years of shaving (could I respectfully ask that we only include years that amount to at least one shave a week. I have myself gone for years without touching my DEs.)
    • So if you've been shaving for 6 years in total and you shave 3 times a week, your experience would look like this: Exp=3s6y
    There are a few other criteria I thought would be useful to add:
    • time = time needed to shave with this razor in minutes
    • stubble = stubble. How many hours before you can feel your beard growth again in hours
    • bloodlet = white collar test. Can you put on a white shirt without it getting blood stained. 0=no blood, 10="Better wear a red shirt".
    • numshaves = How long does the blade last? In number of shaves.
    • $ = razor cost. $=under 20$, $$=$20-$50 $$$=$50-$100 $+=$100+
    • beginner = Beginner rating. How would you rate this razor for a first time user? 10=it's as easy as a cartridge, 0=If you use this I'll see you in ER.
    • availability = availability. While I think my razor may be the best in the world, if only one was ever produced, it's not going to be available for others to get. 10=you can get it on amazon or ebay, 0=It's rarer than bigfoot.

An example below:

Muhle R41
    time = 20min
    stubble = 18h
    bloodlet = 7
    numshave = 3
    beginner = 0
    $$
    availability = 10
    Exp = 3s3y

If there is a better way of doing this then please let me know and I'll happily change this.

Jim99 likes this.
  2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Most, not all, but most of us wet-shaving enthusiasts, as you correctly pointed out, have multiple---if not many razors. Personally, I have long since given up the "daily driver" (which was an electric followed by a Gillette cart). I now enjoy the rotation aspect of all of my gear. Yes, on occasion, I "focus" on a single product. Sometimes I titanic my way through a soap, but in general, it's the variety of our hobby and our gear that keeps me excited about shaving. Certainly, there must be minimalist shavers out there that would have a better understanding of your formula and perhaps benefit from the results, I just don't happen to be one of them. Perhaps others will weigh in with a different opinion.

3. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Other than my injectors, I rarely ever use the same razor multiple days in a row. I’ll use one DE today, swap the blade into another DE the next day and so on. Once the blade is shot, I’ll move on to my SEs and do the same thing. In between this rotation, I’ll mix it up with some of my straight razors. As far as my injectors go, I’ll use one for multiple days in a row and continue to until the blade is done. Otherwise, I’ll lose count of the shaves on the blade when it goes back to the den.

4. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I have thirty razors in my den, and except for probably three of them, any one is just as likely to get handed the ball as any other.

I mostly straight shave and I travel a lot for work, so statistically most of my shaves are with shavettes.

Here is a pic of a shave tracking app that shows the top handful of razors that I tend to use. I guess you could call them my daily drivers.

[​IMG]

Keithmax, jtspartan, MR41 and 5 others like this.
  5. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Agree with Primo.

Primotenore likes this.
  6. pisces_0

pisces_0 Well-Known Member

I'll play.

Too many good SEs in my collection, but if tied down to just one for a daily driver here's the rub:

Gem/Ever Ready 1912 Single Edge
    time = 25 min
    stubble = 16 hrs
    bloodlet = 2
    numshave = 8
    beginner = 6
    $ = under $20
    availability = 10

7. Many thanks for the comments. I appreciate many people rotate their razors. I only have three razors and due to the time it takes to shave only really use my R89. I would like to broaden my collection hence this thread. It might also be useful for the uninitiated to see what you think of the razor.

Jim99 likes this.
  8. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

There’s nothing wrong with havind a daily driver and many here do. There’s even a 30 day focus group here where they use the same equipment for a month straight. There are many fine razors that one can live with day after day and get great shaves for the rest of their lives.

It’s just people here like me with 60 razors that cause trouble.

:p

9. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Are you interested in new or vintage?

Simon Smailus likes this.
  10. PickledNorthern

I would be curious to know that also. Or, are you interested in branching out towards SE/AC/Injectors etc???

Simon Smailus and Jim99 like this.
  11. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Excluding multiples, I've got 13 different razors. Over the last couple of years, I've thinned down the herd to the razors I really enjoy using. I tend to use the same razor for a month or more before moving on to another one. There are differences between them, but I would consider them all daily drivers.

Simon Smailus, Jim99 and Primotenore like this.
  12. I'm open to any razor depending of course on cost. I have a couple of straight razors, but they take a long time to shave with and I only have occasional time to be able to progress my learning. I also have a Feather Artist Club SS which I really enjoy, but again takes some time to shave. My favourite shave currently is my R41 and it's spoiling me for other razors as it shaves me so close, I'm not happy with my other razors. For example my R89 gives me stubble by 3pm. The R41 lasts till next morning. My last razor and also my first purchase was a Futur. Sadly the stop broke, but it's still useable. Although I've not used it in years.

I have really only one criteria when shaving (apart from time in a working week). It must be BBS or else I keep touching my face all day saying, "that wasn't very good", and people think I've gone nuts. Of course with a BBS shave. I also keep touching my face, but it makes me smile every time. The problem for me is that in the morning I have little bathroom time (children!), so a shave needs to be completed in 10 min. I did try shaving in the evening which I really enjoyed and still do often, but by morning I can feel growth.

13. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

I have about 15 or so post-war vintage Gillettes. I like them all - well, maybe some more than others - but they all give me a great shave.

But my "daily driver" is still my chrome Edwin Jagger that my wife bought me about 5 or 6 years ago. Why? Well, the EJ gives me just as good a shave and the chrome razor with its matching stand and brush does perfectly match our modern Euro-style master bathroom with lots of frameless glass and chrome fittings. And, she likes that! Happy wife, happy life!

I still use a vintage razor but the EJ probably gets the nod about 4 days a week, although I will bring out a Fatboy, or a NDC SS, ot whatever and give it a run for 2 or 3 days.

14. PickledNorthern

Here are some razors that I get/got Muhle 41 type (as close or very nearly so) results from:

-ATT H2 (Best aggressive DE razor I ever used)
    -Blackbird
    -Alumigoose v1 (not V2, they are entirely different razors)
    -Mongoose B3 (only batch I’ve tried)
    -Ikon El Jefe (I think they just call it MR now??)
    -Ikon Tech ( not a favorite by any means, but it will give you the skin peeling you’re looking for)
    -Futur
    -Schick E2
    -Supply w/3 plate and a trimmed down Feather
    -Colonial General, SS or Aluminum with a Feather Super
    -Gem MMOC

Here’s at least a list of options that I would say are on my more aggressive/efficient list, vintage to modern, $10 to $200.

Simon Smailus, wristwatchb and Jim99 like this.
  15. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I enjoy several de's.
    Several could be only one candidates.
    I'd be happy (maybe not as happy) with most of my gear.
    A select few stand out.
    1) Grand Shave King self lubricating razor
    2) Merkur Progress
    3) Merkur Futur
    4) Barbasol Floating Head
    5) Above the Tie Calypso M1
    6) Ikon Shavecraft 101
    7) Gillette vintage comes next.

Simon Smailus, wristwatchb and Jim99 like this.
  16. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Razorock SLOC (mild to Mid range)4.7-5.2/10 for aggression(stock with no shims) depends on blades being used!
    time = 12-20min -2.5 passes
    stubble = 8-12 hrs later
    bloodlet = 0-1-this is were it shines for daily shaving
    number of shaves = 5-7 per blade
    beginner = 9/10- one of the best for beginner or seasoned daily shaver.
    $-under $20
    availability = 10
    Experience (0+y) = 7 days/week+ 1.1y DE experience
    If I want a very close 92%>BBS shave I add a shim to give positive blade exposure to this razor and the results are just Stellar.(feather blades no problem)
    Have some great shaves!

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
  17. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Ok.....

RazoRock German 37 Slant
    availability =10
    time = 15min (DFS shark chrome)
    time = 20min (BBS feather)
    stubble = 5h dfs / 7h bbs
    bloodlet = 0 dfs /2 bbs
    numshave = 3/3
    Esp =1y7s
    Blade = Shark chrome / Feather
    beginner = 5 / 8
    $

tp

18. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Sorry
    BEGINNER = 8/5
    tp

19. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

I have been an active DE shaver since about Christmas 2012. During this time I have tried about 30 razors. Nowadays I am using almost just my iKon X3.

Simon Smailus likes this.
  20. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Various straight razors, and rarely a Gillette Fatboy. I own many many different types of DE razors. The Gillette Fatboy is a no-brainer, and I can shave with it blindfolded, with Feather blades. No bloodletting with DE razors. Straights are a little more fickle. Stubble after 10 hrs. .
    But, your formula is too subjective, with each razor. Overthinking, and complicating a shave takes the enjoyment out, for me.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018