Daily Driver Razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Simon Smailus, Jun 23, 2018.

Tags:
  1. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

...and he voted for George McGovern for President.

2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

The Hello Kitty part though... Shhhh.

3. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Don't forget, he's probably a "closet Bloomer". Just sayin'...

4. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Wait! Hasn’t your mantra been that a razor is a razor is a razor?

My point was not about efficiency or the quality of an SR shave. My SR shaves are as every bit as good as DE shaves. In my experience, SR shaves take longer to complete the DE shaves. No need to question my abilities.

Do you measure efficiency in time or number of passes? Perhaps you have another measure. How many shaves before one has enough experience in your opinion? I have somewhere around 350 SR shaves behind me right now. Not enough?

SR shave times were discussed at length in a thread in the straight razor section some time back and I do not recall any of the daily experiences SR users stating that they did their shaves in 5 minutes. I believe I recall one or two members saying they could if they had to, but they would not necessarily get satisfactory results.

I do not think you should be leading non SR users into thinking that they can get in a proper and safe SR shave in 5 minutes.

FaceScraper likes this.
  5. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Prove it buttercup.

6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Next you will be telling which Island I live on.....sheesh.
    Your older then me...

Yes. Shhhh

Now your just being Silly!!

For the record your all on report and out of the will. Including those who hit the like button. !!!

7. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I think you need to get your BRICKS out. It is a good day for chucking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

8. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I notice your one that hit the like button young man....

9. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Oops. Gotta go now. I hear my mom calling

10. Primotenore

Article Team
    :eatdrink013:

11. This has been a most enlightening and useful thread. I do thank you all for the great comments.

More than anything, it has made me happier. It means that the razors I currently possess can all do the job admirably, if I learn the right technique for the razor. There is no better razor out there that will do a better job. Thinking through the logic (I have teutonic ancestry), makes it undeniable. I had incorrectly assumed that different gaps in razors where designed to move the blade off the skin, so an adjustable would go from zero; on the skin; to whatever setting off the skin. But knowing that each razor is designed to touch the skin, obviously means they all have the potential for a BBS shave. It also dispels the idea that an SR can shave closer as you can't get closer than already being on the skin.

Having learnt the above I shall now focus on my technique. I understand the basic 30° angle for shaving, and the concept of riding the cap; although I'll attempt it next ensuring no pressure whatsoever. Are there any other tips for the R89 and R41 specifically?

12. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

The discussion reminds me a bit of when I dabbled in the portable audio forums. You'd have lots of discussion about high-end equipment, but also a surprising number of people of had completely fallen under the spell of various Chinese throw-away players, claiming how they had the purest sound, etc.

Frijolero and FaceScraper like this.
  13. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Glad you see the light. I truly did not see the light until I spent a year learning SR. After that I fully understood all the razor does is hold the blade. The better the blade is secured the easier the shave will be. You don’t want a blade that chatters on your face.

Knowing this now. I still love different razors. They all hold a blade and shave. I will continue to buy vintage razors. I love the hunt and how each razor design feels different in your hand.

I could shave with one razor for the rest of my life. Why? Now that I have come to love wet shaving. I want to try all that it offers.

Go over to the 30 day thread and commit to it for several months. You will be rewarded. Who knows you may end up being on that thread for life.

Enjoy YOUR Shave

Tom

14. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

It's easy to shoot down arguments I don't make.

You enjoy razor collecting. It's a fun hobby.

Frijolero, FaceScraper and twhite like this.
  15. FaceScraper

FaceScraper Well-Known Member

Hey guys!!! He fell for it! He's actually starting to think that you can get a smooth shave with any razor!! :happy102:

:happy096: Whew..Simon, you were a tough nut to crack - but I think we FINALLY got through to you! I'm glad you sat and thought about it for awhile, and it started to make some sense. To your credit, you listened, and gave it thought. Some people won't do that. They'll continue to struggle and constantly blame the gear.

By all means, try riding the cap - with zero pressure. And, stretch the skin...a lot. You want to give your blade as flat of a surface as possible to glide across. That's where the efficiency comes into play. I won't lie, it'll feel awkward at first. The R89 is an efficient razor, despite it being on the milder side. It shines when you ride the cap.

Again, the 30 Day Rule/Focus group is a fantastic place to learn technique. A rule would be a great place for you to begin. One razor, blade (brand/model), soap, brush, etc. Yeah, sounds boring, I know. However, stick with that for 30 days, and watch your shaves improve.

Here...I'll make it easy for ya....
    https://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/july-2018-30-day-rule-focus-pix-discussion.59926/

16. wristwatchb

Fuzzy.JPG

17. wristwatchb

18. Primotenore

Article Team
    My tip. Pick one. Join me and the others on the 30 day/focus thread and have a great time honing your technique. I am using my 2011 R41 for this month as my focus. Besides, we're all just a bunch of fun-loving wet shavers.

19. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Now the Hello Kitty T-shirt I could believe, but the "closet Bloomer" ... you got a better chance of him wearing bloomers, than him blooming his soap (whoah, now that's a scary thought). :signs081:

Don't worry @wchnu , I'm here to back you up. :happy097:

:eatdrink013:

20. Primotenore

Article Team
    Thanks Keith, I cannot un-forget that thought. :scared001: