Damascus razors on EBay?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by riffin, Apr 1, 2009.

1. riffin

riffin Active Member

Does anyone know anything about these razors? The LOOK nice, but no brand and they are being sold by a knife shop. Also the reference to "acid treatment" makes me wonder it they are etched rather than real Damascus.

2. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

there are very few "true" Damascus razors, Pendray Wootz being one of them. Most but not all are a Damascus type that are etched in acid treatment.

3. harlekin

harlekin New Member

My uncle is one of the top custom knifemakers in the country, so I happen to know a little about the stuff. (his name is Joe Kious for those interested, he specializes in folding pocket-knives)

The "damascus" steel that is used in modern custom knifemaking has little resemblance to the famed super strong steel of Damascus. It is beautiful stuff however. The artisan who makes the steel folds dissimilar layers together and will usually hammer patterns into it with pins and the like.

The knifemaker uses the damascus like any other steel, but when the blade is cut, they'll hit it with some acid. The acid etches the dissimilar layers at different rates, bringing out the beautiful patterns.

I'm not sure I would want to use a razor made from this sort of damascus. Some of the layers will be stronger than others, so it may keep a bit of a jagged edge. It will certainly look amazing though.

4. riffin

riffin Active Member

Pardon my ignorance, but are you saying these are these Wootz or just giving an example? By "Damascus type," I assume you mean a single steel razor etched so it LOOKs like a Damascus. Are real Damascus razor ever "acid treated" to enhance the effect?

I have a Dovo Micarta that is very nice. They fully disclose it as being etched and describe it as imitating or complementing the grain of the handle.

5. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I'm no expert, but it looks surface etched to me.

6. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

The fact that it started at that price is fishy too. You couldnt buy the steel needed to make a damascus razor for what his starting bid is. And nobodys looking to lose money, thats for shure.

7. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

That is more than likely acid etched. As stated above, most Damascus type is compounded metal that has an acid bath to show out the layering.

There is a type of Damascus that is suppose to be along the lines of the original stuff. Its called Wootz Damascus. I have a razor that is made with this material and is quite sharp.

Regardless of the damascus type, a quality "Damascus" blade will run you upwards of 700 dollars. I would be wary of anything below that...Unless you know the seller.

8. xChris

xChris Member

Another name used for the damascus blades made in modern day is pattern welded steel. Like Isaac & harlekin state, an etchant (acid) is used to erode the surface of one of the damascus' component steels. With the folding, twisting, etc. done during the forging, the erosion of the layers by the etchant creates the various patterns that one sees on tthese blades.

Wootz and the original damascus steel have carbide dendrites that produce the patterning seen in it. The formation of these is due to the particular forging methods used (e.g., crucible).

9. JimR

JimR Active Member

The German description says it is hand-forged, 144-layer folded steel (the layers have different hardness and so on, making for a particularly strong, flexible steel), that is treated in an acid bath to reveal the layered effect...

So it's acid-treated damascus? Hmmm....

**EDIT** All of the feedback is good, and there are some who bought the razors. The seller seems to specialize in Damascus knives...hmmm.

10. ndw76

ndw76 New Member

I think if you want a Damascus razor it would be more advisable to spend a little more money and buy a razor from a reputable razor maker who regularly works with Damascus steel. I have read on another web site about damascus steel that the wavier pattern can result in the edge looking like a steak knife under the microscope, where as the patterns which are made from straighter lines along the edge are much smoother under a microscope.