Dark Arts Newb Question

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by BaylorGator, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I have done that before, forget to strop before shaving. I had to learn the hard way and I will never do that again. Well done on the touch up! After a touch up I like to strop it more than I normal do in between shaves.

2. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

I have an old razor that needs an edge set, but I don't have a stone with a low grit to do this. Any reason I couldn't set an edge using 1000 grit automotive wet/dry sandpaper?

3. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I've seen videos of people setting bevels on 1k wet dry

4. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Make sure that it's on a true flat surface like plate glass or lapped/polished marble/tile.

Cheers, Steve

Keithmax, Edison Carter and mrchick like this.
  5. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

Did some reading and determined this method left a lot of room for error. I have a flea bay vintage razor on the way, so I broke down and ordered a Norton 220/1000 online. Last night I ordered a used Norton 4000/8000 on a BST at a decent savings, so with my 12000 Naniwa already helping me refreshing edges, I’m hoping to jump in the deep end on honing with no excuses this weekend.

6. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I typed several responses to this question, and erased all of them, before simply deciding on, “Just because you can, doesn’t mean you should.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

7. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I imagine the other answers were something along the lines of, "it will feel like a bandsaw blade, and require post shave application of Band-Aids."

8. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Sounds like you will be set. 1000 will work quickly. Be careful.

Keithmax, gssixgun and Edison Carter like this.
  9. Pete123

Pete123 Well-Known Member

Randy, another option that has worked really well for me for minor errors and mistakes in stropping is a balsa board impregnated with .3 micron abrasive on one side and .1 on the other. Larry at Whipped Dog sells them, or you can get some balsa at Hobby Lobby and do it yourself.

The reason for balsa is that it is very flat.

There are two things I really like about the balsa. First, it doesn't require skill like honing does. Next, I've been surprised at how effective they are.

Keithmax likes this.