Dark beer

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by BigMark83, Feb 15, 2019.

1. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

A few years ago I hated Guinness Extra Stout. Fast forward to today and I love it. I tried a Hoegarden and it was a light beer to me. I thought as I got older I'd like lagers and the like. No, the opposite is true. Anyone else have anything similar to share?

Erik Redd and wristwatchb like this.
  2. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Guiness is OK, but it would not be my first choice. I've tried some dark home brew ales that were pretty good, though. I am curious about Founders Breakfast Stout. I'll eventually try it.

British/American Pale Ales and IPAs that aren't too hoppy are my favorites. I currently enjoy an occasional Deschutes Fresh Squeezed IPA or a 3 Floyds Co. Zombie Dust American Pale Ale. Neither of them are dark beers, though. Deschutes is easy to find, but I lucked up on a six-pack of Zombie Dust. Both beers have a bit of citrus flavor. I never thought I would like that, but I do.

brit likes this.
  3. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

4. Moose

Moose Well-Known Member

Rogue Hazelnut Brown Ale is one of my favorites right now. Not quite a dark beer, but a darn good one that is easy to get.

I like any brown, porter, red, dunkel, hefe or Belgian beers. Esb's and IPA's too. I'm not picky.

Chuck Naill and brit like this.
  5. Moose

Moose Well-Known Member

A buddy of mine says there is nothing like a Guiness on tap in Ireland. Says it tastes completely different than what we get in the States.

wristwatchb, brit and MntnMan62 like this.
  6. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

I love dark beer. I like Guinness a lot and would love to try it in Ireland someday. I actually find Guinness to be surprisingly light and not filling at all. And oh so smooth. Someone mentioned Samuel Smith which is delicious. There are so many different beers available of all varieties that makes buying Bud, Miller or Coors completely unnecessary. However, I will say that I tried Budweiser's Reserve Copper Lager which is aged (don't know for how long) in Jim Beam Bourbon barrels and it's pretty good. My first darker beer was Saranac's Adirondack Amber. I'm a fan of Newcastle Brown, even though it is widely available. Here's a curious thing. I went to London with my wife on vacation and I was really looking forward to heading to a pub to try some hand drawn ale. So one night we roll into a pub, I walk up to the bar and ask for a couple pints of one of their hand drawn ales. While I'm waiting for him to pull the drinks I look around and the place is filled with locals. And I look at what they are drinking and everyone, I mean everyone, was drinking Budweiser out of those metal bottles they came out with. I couldn't believe it. I even said something to the bartender and his response was "people like it." I shook my head and walked back to my wife with two hand drawn ales and we enjoyed them immensely.

wristwatchb and BigMark83 like this.
  7. brit

brit in a box

Guiness is delicious..meal in a can..

8. BigMark83

Y'all now I'm talking about the Extra Stout right, not the Draught. @gorgo2 put me in the mood for some oatmeal stout now.

9. BigMark83

It snowed here Thanksgiving week quite a few years back, so I put my Guinness in the snow :lyrtuy5:.

brit likes this.
  10. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I myself can't drink it anymore but I do miss it.

brit and BigMark83 like this.
  11. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

As Ive gotten older, Ive learned to love dark beers. Guinness is good but its a bit on the light and bland side for me. Its is a great gateway to the world of dark beers thought because it doesnt have as much body and bite as some others have.
    I tend to prefer more craft dark beers, although Leinenkugel's Snowdrift is quite good.

brit, Moose and BigMark83 like this.
  12. BigMark83

I like craft beer as well. It's just increasingly expensive. I know, quality over quantity, but when a four pack of pint sized cans is $15 there is a problem. Even $10-$11 for a six pack is a lot, imo. I do miss Stony Joe though, it's a coffee stout brewed by a local brewery with beans supplied by a local coffeehouse.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

brit likes this.
  13. Moose

Moose Well-Known Member

That's why I like Sam Adam's. Some scoff at it being classified as craft beer, but still tastes good and is cheaper than a lot of craft beer. No need to be stuck up about beer. My Razorock of beer.

brit likes this.
  14. Moose

Moose Well-Known Member

By that, I just mean it's a good product at a good price.

brit and BigMark83 like this.
  15. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

I prefer stouts myself, and particularly the nitro stouts if I can get them on tap. Guiness is much better on tap than from a bottle. It looks like stouts are making a comeback, a lot of craft brewers make stouts whereas a few years back there didn't seem to be anything but IPA's.

16. brit

brit in a box

i am just starting the darker beer journey..done with the party beer drinking..

17. BigMark83

I would hope so. At least around here Goses are a big thing, I think. That beer needs to die off imo.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

Erik Redd and brit like this.
  18. Badgerstate

I hear you. Thats why I started drinking Miller High Life again. I love craft beer and like supporting local, small, independent breweries but I dont much like paying $12 for a 6-pack of craft.

19. Badgerstate

Goses and sours could go away and it would be just fine with me. Id take a Bud Light over more goeses and sours and thats saying a lot.

BigMark83 and brit like this.
  20. Badgerstate

My issue with Sam Adam's is their deceptive marketing and wanting the definition of craft beer changed to suit them and their production has increased. Sam Adams isnt craft beer and thats OK. Theres plenty of very good beers out there that arent craft.

brit likes this.