Darwin Hollow Ground Safety Razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by twhite, May 22, 2017.

1. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I bought this Darwin Razor a week ago. It was in decent shape, so it was an easy refurb.
    [​IMG]
    I started off by honing the blades. One blade was in really good shape except for a small chip on one corner. The other blade had vry small chips along the entire edge. Long story short I was able to get both blades shave ready. I found that the steel on these was a lot harder than the normal Sheffield steel. Being this hard they should hold an edge a good long time. I finished both blades on my Translucent Arkansas stone.

I also cleaned the case up. As it is a nice chrome finish. A little elbow grease and it is almost as good as new.
    [​IMG]
    After getting the blades and case in order. The next step was to replace the 2 pieces of leather that make uo the honing and stropping surfaces. The honing side is leather impregnated with Chromium oxide. The stropping side is impregnated with iron oxide. I removed the 2 pieces of leather and sent them to @Drygulch Adam wasted no time whipping up replacement pieces. Adam also noticed that the 2 pieces were different thicknesses. The hone side being thinner of the 2. After thinking about it for a few minutes I came to the conclusion the reason for it was. When honing the blade, the thinner piece would allow the edge more engagement.Switching to the stropping side. The thicker piece would lift the blade slightly to keep the pressure of of the edge a tiny bit. Thatis my theory and I'm sticking to it.

Any how here are a few pictures of before on the strop.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    strop side below
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Awesome work @Drygulch. Beautiful clean up Tom.

Zykris, Billyfergie, mrchick and 2 others like this.
  3. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Next up was mounting my new leather. This was a straight forward process. I first cleaned the sub-straight. I removed all of the old glue and grime. Acetone made quick work of that. I chose to bond the leather with E6000 adhesive. As it is a spray on, I masked all surfaces not being bonded. I mocked up the leather to get my mask lines. After masking both sides. I removed the leather and gave each surface a spray with the E6000
    [​IMG]

After letting it all setup under pressure for an hour. I went and loaded the new leather with the corresponding compounds.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Drygulch, AGHisBBS, jimjo1031 and 6 others like this.
  4. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Thanks Fuzzy. You are correct Adam @Drygulch does do fantastic work.

Zykris, Billyfergie and Drygulch like this.
  5. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I know nothing of honing...do you have to retreat the leather time to time?

Billyfergie likes this.
  6. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Yes you do. that being said I will probably go a few years before doing that. If anything just a bit of leather treatment. A very light oiling. You do not want too much paste on the strops. The fine particulate embeds itself in the leather, giving it the very fine cutting ability.

Tom

Zykris, Billyfergie, Jorvaljr and 2 others like this.
  7. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I'm glad I didn't bid on it, then. I saw the Darwin auction, and debated for a couple of days, and decided I didn't _need_ it.

mrchick and twhite like this.
  8. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Thanks for that. You saved me some money. If you see another one I would recommend getting one. Especially if you like wedge blade razors.

Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Zykris, Billyfergie and mrchick like this.
  9. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Nice job Tom. I'll have to get mine ready for use.

Zykris and Billyfergie like this.
  10. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Yes you should. Now that you hone it will be a snap getting it dialed in.

Billyfergie likes this.
  11. Bookworm

I have a Rolls-Razor Viscount, complete, no cracks in the hone, everything in good shape. Leather needs some oiling, but that's about it. I've been eyeballing getting a second just to have a spare blade, but I haven't rebuild the _first_ one yet.

I'm thinking about shipping the blade to @Billyfergie just to save myself the headache :p

Zykris and Billyfergie like this.
  12. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Send it to me. I can do it for you.

Tom

Zykris, Billyfergie and mrchick like this.
  13. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

Does anybody produce these GEM alike wedge blades or only vintage stuff? I can see someone designing a razor in future with these wedge blades and having monopoly on its own razor and blades, if there is enough people wanting this type of shaving and stropping that is

Billyfergie and twhite like this.
  14. Bookworm

I'll do that - it won't be soon, as I have a lot of other projects going before I get to the 'dismantle the rolls, clean out all the years of old grease, re-grease'..... project.

Right now, I'm working on the "fire burned" NEW, and carbon fiber tubes for OLD handles.

I have four guinea pigs for the tubes, so we'll see how well those work as replacements for the broken ones. If they work well, I'll make up a batch and donate them to the shave den shop.

twhite and Billyfergie like this.
  15. Bookworm

A lot of different razor companies have tried making their own blades to avoid the Gillette world - none of them seem to have lasted other than the standard SE (and the despined Feather version)

twhite and Billyfergie like this.
  16. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Mine is NOS and the blades have factory edges. I'll dig it out this weekend and see what it will take.

Billyfergie and twhite like this.
  17. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Way too cool. Maybe a quick few laps on your finishing stone then strop. Looking forward to hearing how you like it.

Jorvaljr and mrchick like this.
  18. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

:signs021:

twhite likes this.
  19. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Very nice restore there, Tom. Those Darwins are cool.

twhite likes this.