DE Hone

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Damon, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Damon

Damon Member

I know as cheep as blades are, many dispose of them but has anyone ever played with one of these to any extent?

I just started using it and I'm not sure I have the hang of it yet as I don't have many blades that I haven't already thrown away. So far it works, but you have to use a very light touch or it dulls the blade. I would also like to try a lilicraps hone if I could find one that some ebayer doesn't want an over priced amount for.

[​IMG]

2. daku

daku New Member

I was talking to my dad a few months ago about DE shaving and he was telling me how he used to shave with one of those when he was my age.

He comes from a very poor family, and he said

"Those were the best. When the razor got dull, you just the blade out and scraped it across some glass and it was sharp for a few more shaves"

I haven't had the urge to try it.

-pg

3. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

ONLY use carbon steel blades with it. trying newer blades with their fancy coatings will A) ruin the hone, and B) not get sharp again worth a damn.

you can also use the inside of a drinking glass. true as toast ;)

4. Damon

Damon Member

So a drinking glass for the newer coated blades works. :signs002

5. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

it might. it might not. i just know that was something used during the depression to increase the longevity of blades, which is also when most of these DE hones came out.