DE Pack Review

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Zykris, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Today's event: Three pass head shave
    Gear Used:
    Razor: RazoRock Slant German 37
    Blade: Treet Stainless (2)
    Brush: 24mm Maggard Synthetic TOST LE 2018 Brush
    Soap: ProrasoWhite
    Aftershave: Gentleman Jon's Alum Block followed with Aramis Balm

My second use of the Treet Stainless is starting to show the signs that I commonly run into with the Treet brand of blades. The quality of the shave this time is at least down by about 1/3 - 1/2. It got the job done but it wasn't as smooth or sharp as it's first use. I know an edge degrades with use but this was a quick one. I may be able to get one more shave out of it before it's done. Hopefully. Have a good one!

Linuxguile likes this.
  2. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

The Treet stainless couldn't even do a single stroke this time. So randomly picked out the Gillette Silver Blue Stainless.
    Gear Used:
    Blade: Gillette Silver Blue Stainless
    Soap: Van Yulay Death By Chocolate Tallow
    Very sharp blade, smooth mid grade. Nice! hoping it smooths out a little a more.

Current Ranking:
    1. Sputnik. For the really comfortable smoothness of the blade.
    1. Gillette Rubie Plantinum. This blade has tied the Sputnik Teflon Coated easily in my mind. Very smooth. I could barely feel the sharpness but it mowed whiskers like a boss.
    2. Personna Lab Blue. For a lovely balance for smoothness and sharpness. What treat!
    3. Astra SP. For the sharpness and mid range smoothness, longevity of the blade.
    3. Feather Hi Stainles. I have another tie between the Astra and the Feather. Reason being the Astra has a long life span for me but the Feather has raw cutting power if somewhat irritating a little more on the first pass but smoothed out nicely on my subsequent passes.
    3. Treet Platinum. Great smoothness, average sharpness but it's got one heck of a life span!
    4. Super Platinum. This blade got tied up in the fourth place with the Gillette 7'Clock SP. I was impressed by it's performance. Nice combo of sharpness/smoothness.
    4. Dorco Prime Platinum. 5 uses and a darn good blade with sharpness and smoothness tied beautifully.
    5. Gillette 7'Clock SP. Pretty good blade with mid range sharpness. The two before it had better performance IMO.
    5. Gillette Super Thin Platinum. A rather enjoyable blade that gave me 4 good uses of smooth shaving with a nice degree of sharpness.
    5. Super Platinum. After reviewing my comments on the blade, I decided it deserved a spot in the top five for a tie with the Gillette Super Thin Platinum.
    6. Gillette Nacet Stainless. Nice smoothness and sharpness. For me, it didn't stand out against the crowd but I did like it for the time I did use it.
    7. Rapira Swedish Steel. Nice smoothness and mid grade sharpness. Lasted three uses. I'd say above average performer.
    7. Supermax Superior Platinum. Mid grade on smoothness and sharpness. The previous four still stand out in my mind after so long. But this one stood out enough to get into my top five. ( Now with more uses of different blades, it's not as good as I thought )
    8. Derby Extra Stainless. It gave a good run as a smooth blade.
    8. Polsilver Stainless. The blade had a good run. Smooth over sharp. I classify it a midgrade blade for my use.
    9. Voshkod. The blade was smooth but it didn't last long for me. Sharpness is not near Sputnik IMO.
    10. NEW Lord Platinum Class. Smooth, comfortable. Sharp enough to get the job done. Not a top five but definitely worth considering for future purchases.10. Shark. It gave decent shaves but it wasn't nothing spectacular for me.
    11. Kroma Stainless. About the same performance as the Sharp Hi Chromim Durable. Two uses. Toasted. Ok performance.
    11. Sharp Hi Chromium Durablade. An ok blade. Not stellar but it was ok for the first use and barely made it through the second use.
    11. Ladas Super Stainless. It wasn't a favorite of mine. Certain parts of my face/head where other blades excelled overall, this one was tuggy. Low grade for me on sharpness/smoothness.
    12. Rapira Platinum Lux. Same as the Ladas blade but the smoothness on it was a tad bit better. The sharpness was pretty good but I had mixed feelings on the blade.
    13. Treet Stainless. Mid grade sharp, smooth. Ok blade. Not for me though.
    13. Super Tian Li Blue Blade. Ok blade. But nothing to remarkable about it.
    14. Perma Sharp Super. Very smooth and comfortable with decent sharpness. But only good for one use.
    14. BiC Chrome. Very sharp, mid range smooth. Very irritating blade.
    15. Treet. Just did not work out for me. Not really that sharp, not really that smooth either.

BlaydRunner and Linuxguile like this.
  3. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Gear Used:
    Blade: Gillette Silver Blue Stainless (2)
    Brush: 24mm WD Boar Brush
    Soap: Proraso Green
    Aftershave: Gentleman Jon's Alum Block followed with Nivea

Great head shave despite being sick still. DFS after three shaves. Still sharp but now the blade is smoothing out nicely. I'm impressed.

4. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

I've been sick on and off and forgot to log in two shaves with the Gillette Silver Blue blade. it's so far holding on but I think it may be done soon. Sorry guys.

5. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Current Ranking:
    1. Gillette Rubie Plantinum. This blade has tied the Sputnik Teflon Coated easily in my mind. Very smooth. I could barely feel the sharpness but it mowed whiskers like a boss.
    2. Personna Lab Blue. For a lovely balance for smoothness and sharpness. What treat!
    3. Astra SP. For the sharpness and mid range smoothness, longevity of the blade.
    3. Feather Hi Stainles. I have another tie between the Astra and the Feather. Reason being the Astra has a long life span for me but the Feather has raw cutting power if somewhat irritating a little more on the first pass but smoothed out nicely on my subsequent passes.
    3. Treet Platinum. Great smoothness, average sharpness but it's got one heck of a life span!
    4. Super Platinum. This blade got tied up in the fourth place with the Gillette 7'Clock SP. I was impressed by it's performance. Nice combo of sharpness/smoothness.
    4. Dorco Prime Platinum. 5 uses and a darn good blade with sharpness and smoothness tied beautifully.
    5. Gillette 7'Clock SP. Pretty good blade with mid range sharpness. The two before it had better performance IMO.
    5. Gillette Super Thin Platinum. A rather enjoyable blade that gave me 4 good uses of smooth shaving with a nice degree of sharpness.
    5. Gillette Silver Blue. I got some good shaves out of it and the crisp sharpness melted into a nice smoothness the last couple of shaves. Nice!
    5. Super Platinum. After reviewing my comments on the blade, I decided it deserved a spot in the top five for a tie with the Gillette Super Thin Platinum.
    6. Gillette Nacet Stainless. Nice smoothness and sharpness. For me, it didn't stand out against the crowd but I did like it for the time I did use it.
    7. Rapira Swedish Steel. Nice smoothness and mid grade sharpness. Lasted three uses. I'd say above average performer.
    7. Supermax Superior Platinum. Mid grade on smoothness and sharpness. The previous four still stand out in my mind after so long. But this one stood out enough to get into my top five. ( Now with more uses of different blades, it's not as good as I thought )
    8. Polsilver Stainless. The blade had a good run. Smooth over sharp. I classify it a midgrade blade for my use.
    9. Voshkod. The blade was smooth but it didn't last long for me. Sharpness is not near Sputnik IMO.
    10. NEW Lord Platinum Class. Smooth, comfortable. Sharp enough to get the job done. Not a top five but definitely worth considering for future purchases.10. Shark. It gave decent shaves but it wasn't nothing spectacular for me.
    11. Kroma Stainless. About the same performance as the Sharp Hi Chromim Durable. Two uses. Toasted. Ok performance.
    11. Sharp Hi Chromium Durablade. An ok blade. Not stellar but it was ok for the first use and barely made it through the second use.
    11. Ladas Super Stainless. It wasn't a favorite of mine. Certain parts of my face/head where other blades excelled overall, this one was tuggy. Low grade for me on sharpness/smoothness.
    12. Rapira Platinum Lux. Same as the Ladas blade but the smoothness on it was a tad bit better. The sharpness was pretty good but I had mixed feelings on the blade.
    14. Perma Sharp Super. Very smooth and comfortable with decent sharpness. But only good for one use.
    15. Treet. Just did not work out for me. Not really that sharp, not really that smooth either.

Ended up taking out the Rapira Super Stainless. This was a much better blade than the Rapira Platinum Lux. Very smooth blade to use and got the job nicely on a three pass head shave. Liking it.

BlaydRunner and Edison Carter like this.
  6. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Some nice reports and we all learn a lot from our experiences, I'm not as extensive as you have been.
    Latest blade review Rev #4 sept 15 2018.jpg

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
    BlaydRunner, Zykris and Edison Carter like this.
  7. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Everyone has their own system of documentation. Yours works great in my opinion.

BlaydRunner and Ron R like this.
  8. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Gear Used:
    Blade: Rapira Super Stainless (3)
    Soap: Van Yulay Spicy Mahogany

After realizing due to sleep deprivation that I wasn't using the Gillette blade anymore and instead it was the Rapira Super Stainless, I had to delete that post and start this one. Whoops! Anyways, onto the results on the shave. The blade lasted three shots and this shave was tuggy, slightly uncomfortable but finished off with a DFS. The blade is now with it's washed up cousins in a disposal container.

Current Ranking:
    5. Gillette Silver Blue. I got some good shaves out of it and the crisp sharpness melted into a nice smoothness the last couple of shaves. Nice!
    12. Rapira Super Stainless. Not a bad blade. I'd rank it in the middle for a decent sharp/smooth combo but the blade doesn't last long. Worth a try.

9. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Gear Used:
    Blade: Super Iridium Extra Stainless
    Brush: 24mm Full Moon Knot TurnNShave
    Soap: Viking Opium Den
    Aftershave: Gentleman Jon's Alum Block followed with Nivea Sensitive

Random pull. Great blade. it has a nice sharpness to it but also a great smoothness. Did a nice job of knocking down two days growth and got a DFS out of it. I'll rank the previous blade the Rapira tomorrow. Have a great day!

BlaydRunner likes this.
  10. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Gear Used:
    Blade: Super Iridium Extra Stainless (2)
    Brush: Jayaruh Travel Pure Badger
    Soap: Williams
    Aftershave: Witch Hazel followed with Aramis Aftershave Balm

Second use is proving just as good as the first. I'm liking the blade.

BlaydRunner likes this.
  11. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

I got one extra use of the Super Iridium Stainless blade for a total of three uses. Not a bad blade but it is the last one of my try outs. So here is the final roster ranking.

Current Ranking:
    11. Super Iridium Stainless. Three uses but a nice performing blade.
    12. Rapira Super Stainless. Not a bad blade. I'd rank it in the middle for a decent sharp/smooth combo but the blade doesn't last long. Worth a try.

Thanks to all who took the journey with me. It's been a long ride but now I get to use my R41 theta been waiting for me. Have a good one!

BlaydRunner, Ron R and Linuxguile like this.
  12. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Great reviews and very constant with the shaves(Razorock German 37 slant one of my favorites) and that is a very help full list for some one going to try a different blade.
    Great job.

Zykris likes this.
  13. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Thank you.