DE Shaving time

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by La Pedrera, Jul 8, 2007.

1. La Pedrera

La Pedrera New Member

Curious as to how long it takes you all to shave with a DE?

I'm pretty slow as of right now.. maybe just need experieice.. hopefully it will improve with the experience.

C

2. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

The time factor has improved dramatically, but over a long course of time. Over a year ago, it was taking near 30 minutes......now I can get a clean, presentable shave in about 5 minutes (including lathering & shaving)

Most days, however, I think I average 10-12 minutes, but if I'm rushed it can be done much quicker

*It used to be "You're STILL shaving?" (girlfriend)

---> Now, its "You're already done?"

3. Will

Will Nevermind

S.S.S in 20 min flat! :D

4. johnniegold

johnniegold New Member

Shower - 10 minutes
    Prep of Lather and pre post - 3 minutes
    3 pass shave - 10 to 15 minutes
    touch up with disposable - 2 minutes
    CWR, w/h, aftershave - 3 to 5 minutes

Average Shower and Shave - 25 to 30 minutes. I probably could tighten up the time a little bit, but why would I want to shorten one of the best parts of my day. ;)

5. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

:eek: :signs080 :happy001

6. Will

Will Nevermind

It is a way of life Joe :rolleyes:, you never read the book Everyone Poops? :rofl

7. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

C:
    Hang in, buddy !
    You will get faster with experience.
    Just dont get in a rush, improve your technique and things will fall into place.
    Been at this just over a year now and my shaves are running.....

10 - 15 minutes. Start to finish including preptime.

Dont know if you think this is a long time or not but I avg 2 -3 pass shaves with a touch -up at the end.

8. herzi

herzi Active Member

About 7 to 10 Minutes with a DE (just shaving, not preparing).

9. Leisureguy

Leisureguy Read My Blog

10 minutes from washing my beard to putting on aftershave.

10. DragonBoy

DragonBoy Team Player

Id say in the range or 10-20.. Normal workday like 12min.. Lazy weekend shave 20..

11. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

14-16 minutes for a 3 pass plus cleanup shave. Depends if I get caught up in "painting."

12. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

DE shaving
    When I started last summer, it was 20-30 minutes. Now? About ten from start to finish.

Straight
    (Slightly off-topic, but I have really "cut" that time down too.)
    From lather and strop to finish, about 15-20 minutes.

13. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

Back when I used DE I had down to 10 from prep to aftershave. Now with a straight I have it down to 15 from prep to finish(two passes with clean up).

Raf

14. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    I'd guess about 10-15 minutes, since I shave in the shower and don't have a clock in there.

About 30 minutes from naked to dressed again. :p

15. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

All great artists enjoy their work! :D

I spend about 15-20 minutes when I'm not working on a masterpiece.

16. La Pedrera

La Pedrera New Member

time

Ok.. seems i'm not as bad as I thought.. I haven't actually timed myself, but know each pass (I'm doing 2 full pases, with, accross and only a partial against so far) takes me at least 5 mins.

I'll keep at it..

Eventually want to try the straight .. but first need the confidence to do a full ATG shave I think. Sound right, or should I jump in to the cut throat sooner so I don't get too accustomed to the DE??

Still getting sure of my growth direction.. it's got cowlicks allover it.. but I do on occassions get the faceturbator smoothness on the cheeks.

C

17. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

takes me around 20 minutes.
    5 minutes for heating up the scuttle, soaking the brush, washing my face and whipping up lather, 3 minutes to let the lather soak in, 5-7 minutes for the shave itself and then another 5 minutes for AS+ASB-treatment and cleaning up the mess.
    I can do it quicker if i want to, but why should I? It's something to enjoy and not something to rush :D

18. La Pedrera

La Pedrera New Member

How long do you generally leave the lather on before shaving..??
    Maybe I'm not making the lather entirely right (experience lacking).. but I saw some posts that say leave in on 2-3 minutes.. but by that point it feels as though it's dried out..

C

19. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

2-3 minutes would be stretching it....and I wouldn't recommend that period of time unless you are holding a hot towel over that lather. Typically, I apply the lather to face and begin shaving less than 30 seconds later.....assuming a good prep of plenty of hot water or shower. If I haven't showered first, or if I feel like the hot water prep/hot towel wasn't enough, I might let the lather sit on my face slightly longer.

The lather should help to make your whisker swell, and therefore easier to cut.....but I would imagine that there is a threshold of time where after it does no good to have it just sitting there drying up.

20. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

Once I lather for the first time before a shave I strop the blade I am using. This usually takes about 30 to 40 seconds. I then retouch the lather with a few more painting strokes and then I get down to business. I dont think I would leave the lather on for 2-3 minutes.

Raf