Decanting into Glass

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by dmshaver, Nov 14, 2018.

1. dmshaver

dmshaver Well-Known Member

I've heard the benefits of decanting AS from plastic into glass. I've seen some gorgeous bottles some of you use. I got an old Aqua Velva 1776 glass bottle last weekend at the KC Meet-up & that got me thinking what I can use for some other AS. I was at a flea market today & I saw what I'll use: Avon AS chess piece bottles. They hold 3 oz. I like the idea of having a theme going on with my bottles as they're lined up on my shelf. I'll put a small label on each bottle as to the contents. This should get me started. I know some use hot sauce bottles. What do you use?

IMG_0196.jpg

2. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

DentonMajik and Linuxguile like this.
  3. dmshaver

I rinsed the bottles & caps 7 or 8 times with soapy water, then rinsed with water another 5 or 6 times. There is no scent remaining in them.

DentonMajik and Linuxguile like this.
  4. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I have a few vintage A/S bottles but mostly use small glass spray bottles that I purchase locally.

Linuxguile and jtspartan like this.
  5. RyX

RyX DoH!

I decanted several Pinaud products to glass.
    Pinaud Products.gif Shop around and you might find Perfumers funnels. They make for less spillage.
    Perfume funnels.gif If you find vintage bottles that are dirty on the inside...
    dirty glass bottle and cap.gif
    ... after washing as clean as possible, let dry and add a small amount of large crystal salt. Shaking the bottle scours and cleans the remaining debris.
    Houbigant and unknown bottle.gif Hot sauce bottles work well for the removable plastic restrictions. After you move the juice the labels can be moved. Fill the now empty bottle with water up to or above the label and microwave in short burst until the glue softens. If you act quickly the paper can be peeled off and stuck to the new bottle.
    Pinaud Lime Sec Citrus Musk.gif

6. dmshaver

Thanks @RyX for the pointers! Love your bottles. It would be cool to have my AS in the correct glass bottles. For now, Avon chess piece bottles will have to do. I have more AS than just those few Avon bottles, I've got some in glass already, & some will stay in plastic. I'm moving my more frequently used AS that's still in plastic over to glass.

RyX and brit like this.
  7. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Great tips on removing labels, I also use hot sauce bottles, soy sauce etc. and reuse old AS bottles. :happy088:

brit, dmshaver and RyX like this.
  8. RyX

RyX DoH!

Hazard of vintage aftershaves - empty decanters. I've picked up many Avon and several Shulton Old Spice, but only one empty vintage decanter. I found a Shulton chromed glass flask I'm using for modern Old Spice.
    Old Spice empty bottle.gif

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
    dmshaver likes this.
  9. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I have some vintage Avon and Old spice decanters that I refilled.

RyX and dmshaver like this.
  10. dmshaver

My vintage Aqua Velva holds my AV, which was in a glass bottle to begin with. I also have a vintage Old Spice stein decanter I use for my Old Spice AS.

brit, RyX and Linuxguile like this.
  11. brit

brit in a box

i just filled my vintage old spice bottles with modern . will find vintage old spice in the future.. 20181115_183906.jpg

RyX, Linuxguile and dmshaver like this.