DECember 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Nov 30, 2017.

?

What would you like to find in your stocking this Christmas?

1. A decadent Gillette Toggle or other rare vintage DE

6 vote(s)
    15.8%
  2. A decadent mint condition SE razor from the early 20th century

3 vote(s)
    7.9%
  3. A decadent vintage straight razor, restored to perfection.

8 vote(s)
    21.1%
  4. A puck or two of your favorite decadent soap or cream

8 vote(s)
    21.1%
  5. A luxurious and decadent High Mountain Badger brush (or your favorite type)

9 vote(s)
    23.7%
  6. A plate of decadent cookies.

12 vote(s)
    31.6%
  7. Anything besides a lump of coal. Because coal isn't decadent. It's just depressing.

21 vote(s)
    55.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Gem Clog Pruf
    Gem Stainless (3)
    Semogue BC Mistura
    Stirling Gentleman
    Superior 70

Comfort....

2. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

So to kick off Decadent December, I grabbed a custom razor. (I was going to use my new frameback, but didn’t have time to hone it last night.) On my RazoRock Lime soap, this is the one I am trying to use up this month. I have a dime sized ring at the bottom, so it is getting much closer. 30DC LE brush with the big boar is my idea of a perfect brush, and Stephan Island Lime aftershave with a ton of menthol added. This razor is an Osiris Blades 6/8 with a Spanish tip and dyed and stabilized buckeye burl scales with G10 liners. It’s one of his first razors made, and a joy to use. At some point I will send it back to him to be marked with his logo. The shave was four passes, and landed a BBS. It would have been an epic shave, but I forgot that while the Spanish tip is rounded slightly, the heel has a spike. I managed to slice myself with that on my second pass. Still enjoyed the shave, and feel it’s a good start for the month.
    2918DD22-E2EE-4073-892E-9B39963292BA.jpeg

3. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

December 1

Weber SS
    Astra SP (1)
    Simpson Chubby 2 Super
    C.O. Bigelow shaving cream
    Thayers Lavender witch hazel, unrefined shea butter, and Floid Vigoroso aftershave

I was half asleep (hard to believe after a menthol shave), so I posted this in the November thread as well. :happy108:

My Russian blade and Soap Destroyer dial-in focus continues for DECember. I completed seven nice shaves with the GSB, and I loaded my Weber SS with new Astra SP this morning. The C.O. Bigelow and the Soap Destroyer did not disappoint. With all the touch-ups, I'll call this one a three-pass shave. I'm paying more attention to skin stretching using alum on my fingertips, and this has improved my shaves in both closeness and comfort.

It's Friday, and the sun is shining. I hope you all have a great day and a wonderful weekend.

[​IMG]

NCoxSTL, Keithmax, Screwtape and 9 others like this.
  4. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

December 1st
    Cooper Monobilt w Astra SP (1)
    Omega Pro / Walnut
    Stirling Barbershop SS & AS
    Thayers
    0735B077-4056-4F12-888B-8FCBE37D9637.jpeg
    First day with the Cooper, loaded with an Astra. Picked the Barbershop to start off the month-long sample focus and got the usual excellent Stirling lather. After 3 passes, and a little neck touch up, I was completely smooth. Loved the first shave with this heavy, loud, aggressive razor.
    I splashed on the Barbershop and got a little more burn than usual. I’ll get this razor dialed in.
    Have a great day all!

Jim99, NCoxSTL, Keithmax and 12 others like this.
  5. jtspartan

What? No Nuavia?
    Beautiful set up, Clint.

6. jtspartan

Cool razors this morning, Gentlemen!

7. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

Freshly plated/tuned F4 Chrome Toggle set on 5. Fresh Kai blade. Jayaruh 223 w/Maggard synthetic knot. Stirling set.

I dunno guys, that right there is a high bar to cross...but I'll do my best. [​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Jim99, NCoxSTL, Keithmax and 13 others like this.
  8. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Adam, that razor looks wicked! Cool stuff.

Great picture and setup, Charlie. I liked Astra SP blades when I used a DE. Happy Friday!

Great picture, Jason!

Terrific photo and setup. I really like the Dunshire scent from Stirling. I don't have the balm but the soap and splash are terrific.

9. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

That is a gorgeous brush, Clint!
    Great photo, Jim! that brush is very cool and the Type D is fantastic.
    Great photo Mark! do you have any difficulty loading such a big brush from the smaller soap containers ?
    I seriously though about keeping that one for myself. I'm pretty sure you were the first person to shave with that razor. Congrats Perry!
    Great photo Charlie! How does the Astra on day one compare to the GSB on day 7?
    That is exactly why I love the MonoBilts Jason! I'm Glad you enjoyed it, awesome pic too!
    Fantastic setup and an amazing Toggle and JR brush!

10. Linuxguile

I don't know how you escaped my multiquote Adam but the scales on that razor are gorgeous!

11. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

This will be an interesting month for me. My Den is packed up for the coming move and I only have a couple razors to choose from. It will force me to focus more than I have lately. As far as decadence, I have several nice soaps and aftershaves that are not packed yet. I will focus there for my decadence.
    Today was a good start. I received this soap yesterday and took it for a spin this morning. It lathers nicely and is very slick. This morning’s shave was very nice. I’m going to like this soap.
    SOTD
    Jeeves of Hudson Street Bay Rum Soap
    B-400 Brush by Tom
    Portland Razor Company Siren
    Lucky Tiger
    Ogallala Bay Rum After Shave
    Happy Friday![​IMG]

12. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Beautiful photo and lineup Perry. The navy handle G4 razors are some good looking razors.

Wow. Love the razor. Very cool.

Great photo and lineup Charlie.

Love the brush. I really like the way you mixed the metal and wood.

Wow. Lovely razor.

13. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Perry.

Thank You Jason. A month with Nuavia and I need a break.

Thank you Andrew. I love this brush.

14. Linuxguile

SOTN November 30th
    [​IMG]

Schick FSM prototype Injector
    Chick (1)
    Simpson's Synthetic CH2
    Stirling MITA

This was my first shave with one of the prototype razors that I got in a lot last month. Comparing the head of this razor to my other injectors I would say that it is most like an E, it has the irregular striations on the guard bar like the Type D and early E's but smaller blade stops like the E. The entire razor seems to be made from a single piece of formed sheet metal. The shave did not feel overly aggressive, but more so then a G, IMO this is very much an E type head. I did three passes with the face freezing Stirling MITA (I don't know how you guys do the glacials) and ended with a smooth shave, but not as close as I was hoping for. I think having not used an Injector since SEptember that my technique may be a little rusty. Have a great weekend everyone!!

Oh yeah, it's Friday! TGIF!!
    20171129_180333s.jpg

15. Linuxguile

Great setup, Brian! That Bay Rum smells amazing, doesn't it?!

16. jtspartan

Thank you all.

17. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

It's a great group of folks around here, and I'm glad you showed up.

I was scarce in November but plan to be posting more this month. I plan to utilize my "high-end" and "high-performance" razors this month, with soaps and aftershaves chosen as the mood prevails.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

18. jtspartan

Great pics! Never too young for a basketball hoop...

19. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

That Martinez razor is stunning, Keith!

Great looking gear!

Amazing picture, Clint! The textures are awesome.

Great photo. Wholly Kaw is on my list of soaps to get, even though I don't need more soaps.

Great picture, Mark.

Way to start the month!

Nice picture, even with the different soap.

Monobuilt is one of the few DEs I still want. Good picture.

Good picture.

Love that razor. Great picture.

Cool razor. Glad to see it being used. And there he is!!!

20. Linuxguile

Thank you, Jason! Though he was more interested in just lounging in the ball pit LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.