December 2021 30 Day Rule/Focus and Discussion. All Are Welcome!

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Trigger, Nov 30, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

You are welcome. I will do a video on open blade shaving next month so you can see how I do it. However, I will say that my technique is not the only way. It's one of the reasons I like this hobby because you can learn different styles of shaving.

SRQShaver, wristwatchb and JACarbone like this.
  2. Trigger

Thanks for the clarification Joe.

Paul Turner and JACarbone like this.
  3. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

I think you were quite bold to have your first go round with a DX. All good!

wristwatchb, ewk and Trigger like this.
  4. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Thank you Joe. Tomorrow will be a Proraso Friday shave.

Trigger likes this.
  5. Trigger

Today is a no shave day for me. I probably use the Stirling Barbership SS. I have not decided on a razor.

wristwatchb and JACarbone like this.
  6. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

[​IMG]
    No shave yesterday but boy a good one today.

Above the Tie Calypso with R2 plate.
    Astra SP blade (fresh).
    Above the Tie shave soap.
    Delrin handle synthetic brush.
    Royal Copenhagen cologne.

Take care everyone!

SRQShaver, wristwatchb, ewk and 2 others like this.
  7. Trigger

Excellent shave Danny. Happy New Year!

Paul Turner and JACarbone like this.
  8. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Well done Danny!

Trigger likes this.
  9. ewk

ewk Well-Known Member

December Focus Shave #25

Razor: Feather AC DX
    Blade: Feather AC Professional
    Brush: Omega 49
    Soap: Williams & Col. Conk Lime grated together
    IMG_20211230_125818510.jpg
    I tried to increase slickness today with the Col. Williams combo for my second AC shave. More nicks than yesterday and significantly more irritation on the neck. This will take some work. At least the brush is unbelievably soft. I would never have guessed it could soften up this much.

@Trigger mentioned that SE shaving is not difficult. Reminds me of the quote (was it Mark Twain?) "Quitting smoking is the easiest thing in the world. I have done it 1,000 times." Shaving with this razor is not difficult at all, it is the shaving-without-getting-cut that is hard.

10. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

A very nice looking shave. The bumps along the way is part of the process. You will eventually get this razor dialed in as well as any other straight you may acquire.

Trigger, wristwatchb and ewk like this.
  11. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Thanks for the kind words, Joe. Likewise, I hope you and your family have a happy and healthy New Year!

Paul Turner, Trigger and JACarbone like this.
  12. SRQShaver

SRQShaver Well-Known Member

This is all great information. Thanks for posting it. I look forward to the video. I'm interested in trying a shavette soon and will need to practice quite a bit.

JACarbone and Trigger like this.
  13. Trigger

Sorry about the cuts Eric. I was taught that you only shave the cheeks WTG with the open blade and then finish with your safety razor. Do that until you are comfortable with just doing WTG on cheeks and then expand to neck, then eventually piecemeal ATG or XTG. I still stand by my statement that it is easy to shave with an open blade. However, it takes time to develop the skill. I will download a video next month on youtube.

ewk and JACarbone like this.
  14. Trigger

You are welcome Eric. The key is to take your time with it and don't be discouraged.

JACarbone and SRQShaver like this.
  15. SRQShaver

SRQShaver Well-Known Member

Pre-shave: Warm water
    Lather: Hendrix Classics & Co Emperor of Oud
    Brush: Jayaruh #287
    Razor: Yaqi Excalibur v3
    Blade: Kai Captain Titan ProTouch MG (1)
    Post-shave: Not needed

SOTD_2021-12-30.jpg

I just received a bunch of packages today, including a few things from Yaqi and some samples from Hendrix Classics & Co. The samples are Badass, Emperor of Oud, and Havana Breeze. Pete from HC&C suggested I tr6 EoO first since I haven't tried an oud-based scent before. He was absolutely right that it is amazing! What a fragrance! I have a full-sized tub of Badass so I'm already familiar with what great soap it is. Great scent strength and slickness. Definitely one of my favorite artisan brands.

One of the Yaqi items was an Excalibur Artist Club razor. This was my first AC shave and boy was it good. I had a normal three-pass shave that ended as a DFS+. I was hesitant to take it any further with aggressive pickups and I think that was the right choice. The post-shave alum stick rub revealed ZERO irritation. I chose the blade completely at random from a sampler pack of Feather and Kai blades. This was either complete beginner's luck or I really do just favor SE shaves, regardless of which type it is. I couldn't be more satisfied right now.

This is my last shave of 2021 and it was one of my best so far. I'd like to thank all of you for guiding me along and helping me to get better shaves. I'm looking forward to a new year filled with great shaves.

ewk, JACarbone and Trigger like this.
  16. Trigger

Awesome shave and congrats on the new additions. HC and C is an upcoming artisan. He has different frags to add into your unscented soaps. It is like you can have a different soap every day. It's a nice concept. Happy New Year!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2021
    SRQShaver and JACarbone like this.
  17. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

21871195-588E-427A-A60D-4D7A120CB619.jpeg

Shavette Shave # 156

Rating: 5 / 5

Razor: Parker SRX
    Blade: Gillette Silver Blue
    Brush: Ever Ready 200T
    Lather: Proraso Aloe and Vitamin E
    Aftershave: Floid Genuine
    Additional Care:
    Stirling Alum Block
    Thayer’s Witch Hazel - Original

Superb Proraso Friday shave. I probably should use the Proraso a little more often as it give a fine shave. I tend to use it about once a month. I have this tube and another container of the White. Perhaps I might do a “JustOneJuly” with one of the Prorasos. Of course, I do like a little variety in my shave so, nah!

Three comfortable passes with the Parker has left my face uber smooth. To quote the “On a Break, Jeff, @jgreenepa, “I am smooth and velveteen.” Perhaps Jeff will rejoin us on a more consistent basis for the New Year.

Below is a lather shot of todays shave.
    CFB456DF-38E4-4330-B26C-8D05C32E70A1.jpeg

I hope you have a great day gentlemen. Happy New Year to you and your family.

18. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Great looking shave Eric. Wonderful Jayaruh brush. I have 5 Jayaruh’s, 4 boars and one boar/Badger mix.

SRQShaver and Trigger like this.
  19. Trigger

Dec 31 SOTD

20211230_184616.jpg

Good morning!

Shavette Shave #326
    Dovo Shavette
    Personna Hairshaper Blade (8)
    Hembree/ Maggard's Timberwolf Brush
    Stirling Barbershop SS
    Proraso AS
    Maggard's Alum Block
    Dickinson's Witch Hazel
    Beard Growth: 46 hrs

Today is the last day of the year and I decided to use the very first open blade razor that I ever used for shaving my face.
    First, I just like the Barbershop scent, but it doesn't stay around during the shave. I am ok with it. It's the slickness that really counts and Stirling never disappoints.
    The hairshaper is still sharp with 7 prior shaves. I can push it to 16 shaves. Did a two pass shave and a touchup for near BBS shave. Did get a weep on my lower neck by Adam's apple. I usually don't shave there so I am not surprised. Lol! The alum was singing Auld Lang Syne as soon as I hit that part of the neck. Added the witch hazel to calm that area and the rest of my face. Splashed on the Proraso and I am good to go. Stay safe this evening. Happy New Year!

20. Trigger

What can I say that I haven't said already? Awesome shave, pic, post and setup Joe.

JACarbone likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.