December 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Primotenore, Nov 30, 2020.

?

What are your shaving plans for December?

1. I will break out my most decadent gear and really have at it.

6 vote(s)
    18.8%
  2. I am going to mix it up, shaving with whatever suits my fancy.

18 vote(s)
    56.3%
  3. I am going to adhere to the 30 Day rule.

5 vote(s)
    15.6%
  4. December is my month to focus on one particular piece of equipment.

2 vote(s)
    6.3%
  5. I am going to look for the BEST Christmas cookie recipe.

9 vote(s)
    28.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Welcome TSD veterans and newbies to the December issue of the fastest-moving thread on any forum---anywhere in cyberspace. Within a blink of an eye, you may find yourself 300 pages behind. But fear not, the catch up is simple: The infamous “Shavette-fu”. For a complete and unbiased definition, I refer you to our resident SE Master and despiser of all two-sided thingys, Fuzzy.

Let’s get down to business…the business of perfecting your daily shave. This thread is intended to assist with that goal. How, pray tell? This is how.

The 30 Day Rule
    1 brush, 1 soap, 1 brand of blades, 1 razor, 30 Days. The rule is really that simple.

This is what started it all. Yet, to many, it may seem rather boring---even daunting. “But MOM, I want to use a different razor every day!!” “Yes, Johnnie, I know that it’s fun to always shave with something new, but the store ran out of styptic pencils and is not expected to re-stock stock until next month”. “Awww... jeepers, mom…ok..., I'll try.”

This “rule” is the time-tested and most effective manner in which to learn how to use your equipment.

“The newly-arrived visitor to NYC asked the taxi driver how you get to Carnegie Hall? The cabbie responded: PRACTICE.”
    Practice makes perfect and that adage applies to shaving too. Back in the day, our shaving ancestors used the same razor, soap, brand of razor blade, etc. These days, many of us have shave dens that are over-flowing. Shave gear is used in a “rotation”, often not seeing the light of day for weeks…even months at a time. Consider the 30 Day Rule if you want to really learn your gear.

The 30 Day Focus
    This is what many shavers choose, perhaps to finish off a soap, or just get acquainted with one or more new products. It’s a much less rigorous exercise and is suggested for the veteran shaver.

December as of late, has been dubbed “Decadent December”--- the month to show off your most gorgeous, or unusual shaving gear. It’s completely optional. Shaving with a no-name boar brush and a stick of Arko has just as much value and, with the proper technique, will afford you the exact same, great shave as shaving with equipment costing ten times as much.

Rules for this thread coincide with the general rules of this forum. Here’s a reminder:

1. New Members always welcome. Start anytime.
    2. Old Members always welcome.
    3. Respect everyone
    4. Refrain from political conversation.

2020 has been a year that we will not soon forget. Let’s bring it to a close with optimism and support for all of our TSD members.

2. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Looking forward to December! :happy093:
    I have some new gear on the way in that will be getting some test runs. I think I will just mix it up. After all, I am already "decadent". :D

3. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Wonderful intro, Joseph! I'll be in this month as much as time allows. Stirling's Ozark Mountain is the main focus this month. I'll rotate razors and brushes and will spend some dedicated time with the Parker Adjustable early on. Fat Fridays, also, of course.

4. brit

brit in a box

awesome intro Joseph as always..:cool:.i will be in with Decadent DEcember and use my brit gillettes..with a suprise or 2 maybe.no new soaps or gear to report but i have more than enough toys to play with.happy shaves gents..:)

5. Droo78

Droo78 Well-Known Member

Masterful introduction, Joseph!
    I'm looking forward to a fun and informative December thread.

6. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I'm in for December-a month in which I look forward to continuing my recent surge of Out Of This World Excellent shaves. That is to say, for the first time since being a member I've enjoyed more of those kind of shaves than in previous years. Thank you for supporting and cheering me on. Budgetary concerns may ask me to wait until January to do my "Most Expensive Purchase(s)I Have Ever Made Since Being A Member. But that's fine, I have more than enough shaving equipment to get me through the month. I can wait. Besides, it would give me reason to begin the new year with class :). (Course lots of what I have now is classy, too). But we'll see how things look in terms of $$$$. For now, here's to another month of great, wonderful, and enjoyable shaves-and may we continue to have fun talkinabout them. :).

7. jtface

jtface Well-Known Member

Bravo, Joseph! A cracking introduction!
    I'll be here with the Festive Focus/Yule Rule...

Webp.net-resizeimage (1).jpg

8. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I am in for December with a Do Anything Decadent December. I have some new stuff arriving that I will want to try out as well.

jluc, jtface, wristwatchb and 9 others like this.
  9. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

I am in. Following the SE focus in Sept and the OC focus in October and a No Repeat focus for me in November, there are some DE razors that haven't gotten much of a run in a few months. The Barbasol Floating Head, Occams DE, 'Crat Jr and PreWar Tech come to mind. I have a few OCs returning from the Beauty Salon that will get some play as well as a Katana that needs my attention. That should be a full enough month for razors. Some of them may even count as Decadent, but none count as ugly, @Hembree
    I can probably muster up a few Decadent software combos, if I must.
    Looking forward to a great month with a great group of Gentlemen, as always!

cliffb599, jluc, jtface and 11 others like this.
  10. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

I am declaring December as Double-Duty December.
    I will use the same setup for 2 consecutive shaves. I will stray from time-to-time by using Mad Max in between these shaves as well as doing at least one double-duty shave with it so as to be somewhat part of the December decadent theme.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    jluc, jtface, wristwatchb and 10 others like this.
  11. brit

brit in a box

fine arko shave and pic James..:cool:

jluc, jtface, PLAla and 4 others like this.
  12. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Feeling footloose & fancy free.... I have a bunch of nice kit that doesn't see much use.

I will be cycling through things.

13. Hembree

The Leyming/Hayward Chinese special came in today.
    20201130_174816.jpg
    Leyming on the right Rockwell 6C gunmetal on the left. The Leyming is a darker finish and is advertised as black. The finish on the razor is not bad for a razor at this price point. I'm still undecided about the handle. The handle is light but just does not feel right in the hand. Blade fit is a little loose but not hard to line up.
    20201130_175128.jpg
    20201130_175110.jpg
    Leyming with the Rockwell handle. I'll be using this set up in the morning. We'll see how it goes.
    20201130_175329.jpg

14. brit

brit in a box

very cool Danny..:cool:

jgreenepa, jluc, jtface and 4 others like this.
  15. Hembree

Thanks Gary

jgreenepa, jluc, jtface and 4 others like this.
  16. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

My focus for at least half of the month will be DX and decision December. I really enjoy shaving with my Barber’s razors, and will focus on my folding Feather Wood handled DX and my Kai Captain Kamisori Clone for most of my mug shaves. I have accumulated a number of modern artisan safety razors like my Tradere and my Rex Ambassador. I’ll be deciding what safety razors are staying and which are going.

17. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

I will have to wait for the new SR, but I will use a Boker SR, boar brush, and Stirling Christmas Eve for the month of December.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

18. Trigger

Hey! Great to hear from you Dale!

jgreenepa, brit, jluc and 5 others like this.
  19. Trigger

That's an interesting razor, Danny!

jgreenepa, brit, jluc and 5 others like this.
  20. Hembree

Thanks Joe....we'll see how it shaves in the morning.

jgreenepa, brit, jluc and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.