Definitive Best Bay Rum Thread???

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Tim Spencer, May 23, 2016.

1. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

Hey,

I have searched for a thread that encompasses Bay Rum and they are scattered. Do we have a definitive "Best of Bay Rum" thread? Just for fun we could even list the top contenders and vote for a winner (although any good soap is a winner in its own right). I want to know where to start my testing on this soap scent.

whiteboy_cannon likes this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

3. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

Do you like clove or no clove?

Paul Turner and gorgo2 like this.
  4. Tim Spencer

I already have a clove-like scent in the Royal Oud cologne and the products I matched to it in Catie's Bubbles Le Piment De La Vie soap, Men's Country Club Southern Oud and Sam's Natural Tobacco Deodorant. I haven't tested this combination of products yet, but will very soon and give a review.

I usually don't care for clove by itself unless there is some really awesome combination of scents put with it like in the Royal Oud cologne. I would opt to likely 'not' do clove as it's not a scent I want to wear often and when I do, it better be one hell of a great set of scents merged to it.

gorgo2 likes this.
  5. whiteboy_cannon

whiteboy_cannon Well-Known Member

Dr. Jon's Anne Bonny.... AMAZING!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Robyflexx likes this.
  6. Halvor

Halvor Well-Known Member

Haven't ventured much down the BR path, but here are two I have tried, neither of which are keepers.
    I love the scent of Ogallala's soap variants, but they're not up to standard when it comes to performance. Face feel is not the best either.
    If you're not a clove fan, stay away from Clubman's bay rum splash.

Paul Turner likes this.
  7. whiteboy_cannon

I actually thought the Clubman Bay Rum was very low in terms of clove. I have smelled some bay rum that slapped you in the face with clove

RetLEO-07, Tim Spencer and Robyflexx like this.
  8. Tim Spencer

I can only find Clubman Bay Rum in an aftershave, not a soap. Do they make soap too?

9. whiteboy_cannon

Just a bay rum aftershave that I know of. But Dr. Jon's Anne Bonny can not get enough praise from me. Highly suggested soap

10. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

If you do not like clove Bay rum, I would recomend:

Masters Bay rum
    Gabels Bay rum
    Superior 70

All are a bit light since the absence of clove. Have heard Dominica is one of the best Bay rums, but haven't smelled it yet.

Paul Turner likes this.
  11. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

You might find some good info on here...

http://bayrumdiaries.com/

I personally enjoyed the Bay Rum from Barrister & Mann the best....so far.

Last edited: May 24, 2016
  12. gott654

gott654 Well-Known Member

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Norcalnewb likes this.
  13. SteveShaves

SteveShaves New Member

As far as scent goes I very much like Masters Bay Rum

14. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Kramer's Finest Acadian Spice bat rum is the absolute best in my humble opinion. Fantastic scent and great skincare, too.

http://www.krampertsfinest.com/

Edit: Also receiving honorable mention are Dominica Bay Rum (first I ever tried back in the 1990s), Superior 70, and St. Johns Bay Rum.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
  15. Tim Spencer

You guys got my head spinning. I don't know which one to pick. What the heck am I supposed to try? I might have to ask you all for qualifications, like, how many you tried and why you went with your pick.

16. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Many aftershave manufacturers sell samples. Googling on the manufacturer's name and sample often brings up links to the samplers.

17. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

If you want to avoid clove (as I do) start with Stephans. IIRC, it's about as un-clove as it gets. Nice scent, soothing, and it's cheap. If you don't like it I'll buy what's left.

18. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

I'm thinking Tim was more interested in Bay Rum soaps, not aftershaves. I have the TSD version and the Soap Commander Purpose. Both are top notch performers, and smell nice.

gorgo2 likes this.
  19. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

oops, didn't catch that. Sorry, Tim.

20. shaveslave

shaveslave Member

best nonclove bay rum shaving soap=mystic water; honeybee soaps has a similar scent profile as does sea grapes studio and the now defunct strop shoppe. clove bay rums, that i've tried would be barrister and mann, mike's naturals, queen charlotte, taconic, ebarbershop,