Dehydrating shave cream

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by rollsshaver, Jan 5, 2009.

1. rollsshaver

rollsshaver Peace be with you

Okay, so I am thinking about taking a tub a The Body Shop cream I got the other weekend and dehydrating it. What would be the best way to do this? The purpose is to basically turn it into a hard soap, thus allowing it to keep longer. Will this even work?

2. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

Weird.....open the top and let is sit for a few days and then ......what the hell! I dont know!

3. rollsshaver

I am wondering if one of those dehydraters would work......

JOANNA!!!!!!!!

4. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    I don't know it all, rolls. :rolleyes:

I'd say just leave the lid off, like Shawn said.

5. soapbuddy

soapbuddy Mistress of Lather

I would leave the lid off as well. Using a dehydrator could give you undesired effects.

6. rollsshaver

I got something rigged up right now. I scooped the cream out onto a piece of plastic and smoothed it out into a circle about 10" in diameter. It is right underneath a little fan, and that should dry it oiut within a week or so, right? Maybe after a few days, I should try to flip it like a pancake. Wow!! My nips just perked!!! YIPPPYYYYYYY!!!!

7. Truckman

Truckman New Member

I don't know if it'd turn into a hard soap, but maybe a softer malleable type of soap looking thing. Not only do I wonder if you can get enough moisture out of it to harden it up, but I'm interested in how it will work afterwards.

Keep us posted on the results.

Maybe take pictures? Once a day, or every 12 hours or something?

8. rollsshaver

I do not own a camera, it is against my religion......................

9. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

Thank god......it would get scary around here:eek::happy102 the shaving cream experiment that is:D

10. I think you actually could use a dehydrator. I know those apply a little heat but I don't think its enough to denature the cream... but hell, I dunno... maybe split it into 3 parts and try dehydrating it 3 different ways and post the results?

Convection oven, dehydrator, and fan...? Or watever :p

This will be interesting regardless.

11. soapbuddy

soapbuddy Mistress of Lather

Since the dehydrator has heat, it could negate the preservative in there. It could become contaminated before it dries out.

12. helowrench

helowrench Member

What is the desired result?
    Or is it just a "cause I can"?

Rob

13. rollsshaver

The idea is to get most of the water out of it. This would in theory stretch the shelf life out a long time. Plus, I like to play with things anyway.

14. rollsshaver

Oh yeah, it is working too. The cream is already getting very firm. Another week and it should be hard.

15. Truckman

Truckman New Member

Crush a little blue pill and sprinkle it over top. That should help it get harder quicker.

:happy102 :happy102 :happy102

16. burningdarkness

burningdarkness Woot Off

Wow.

:happy102

17. Lyrt

Lyrt Flash

18. rollsshaver

The best post of the thread.....................

Cool.

My tub of TBS cream is now hard enough that it cannot be stirred normaly with a toothpick. I had been mixing the top layer in with the rest, but it now seems like it will take a month anyway to completely harden. I will keep ya'll posted though.

19. burningdarkness

burningdarkness Woot Off

I know you can't take pictures, Rolls, but maybe provide us with some technical drawings. :D

20. PeterS

PeterS Member

How about freeze drying? A good vacuum pump should speed things up a bit.

Pete