Diamond coated razor

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by riffin, Aug 18, 2010.

1. riffin

riffin Active Member

I don't think they're ground for shaving, but maybe one day...

At gadget site, Engadget. Check the hair split test video!

2. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Those would be sweet in an Injector G!

"Disposable razor blades could become a thing of the past if scientists at GFD have their way. The German high-tech company has developed a super-sharp razor blade made of industrial diamonds that could last more than 1,000 times longer than today's conventional blade. Because GFD only produces the razor blade but not the finished razor, the company is currently exploring possible strategic alliances to develop this product for the consumer market. "

Now, the question becomes, if it lasts 1000 times longer than a standard blade, what will be price point be?

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I guess that would depend on who will set the definition of a "standard" blade. I'm sure John Q. Public, when asked, would automatically think of cartridges and the $3-$4 price tag that goes with them. Those of us in the know, however, I'm sure would tag a standard blade as a DE or SE, running 15-25 cents apiece. Now were talkin', what, roughly $150 to $4000?!?!

Figuring a 1000x longer would mean roughly a little better than 19 years of shaving for me, if it was a DE blade going for even $200, that's about $10.40 per year.

hmmm....

4. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

5. StephenDE

StephenDE New Member

It'll never fly! A blade made of diamonds? Too expensive and really exotic. I'll stick with my steel blades.

6. riffin

riffin Active Member

Followed the links and all this seems somehow familiar...like I've seen it all before...

BTW these are not gem diamonds, of course, but industrial diamonds. I'm not sure of the magnification, but I suspect that is just the bevel that coated.

I just wonder when, if ever they'll make shave blades. I'll be lab techs are drooling at least as much as we are!

7. Grizzley-1

Grizzley-1 Member

If they team up with Boker and put that on an edge Ill take one-although that might be one scary first shave!!!

8. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Gillette will buy the technology and then lock it away in a vault somewhere never to be seen again. [​IMG]