Did anybody else attain better success with straight razors then safety razors?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by 7055, Apr 12, 2016.

1. 7055

7055 Active Member

I first saw the movie Skyfall and was intrigued by the straight razor scene. I wanted nothing more then to be able to shave my face with such a masculine and cool instrument. However, my first straight razor had something wrong with the edge that I didn't understand at the time. This caused me to give up on it temporarily and try the safety razor.

I couldn't seem to figure out Safety Razors. I could shave with them but never was getting satisfactory results. I tried probably 20 different blades. Then I decided to try straight razors again, I went against most people's advice and started out with a shavette style instead of traditional style this time. My first attempt I was able to shave my whole face, albeit with some irritation. I was instantly hooked. 6 months into it I have still not mastered it but I am getting some very good shaves. I can't see myself ever going back to DE Safety razors when I could be using Straights. There is just something that is so cool about it.

So did anyone else experience poor results with DE razors but much superior results with the Straight as did I?

On that note, did anyone else get started in Straight Razor or DE shaving from a movie?

45auto and macaronus like this.
  2. AZWhiskers

AZWhiskers Active Member

With a Feather Artist Club SS yes I starting getting shaves as close "and comfortable" as a DE safety. I am a newb with the SR, and at first I was convinced my Dovo 5/8 was inferior. However since consistently shaving with a SR I am can shave with either and they feel very close. With a properly honed SR and some practice a SR will keep pace with a Safety (IMHO). But the Safety is so fast and easy I turn to her when I am desperate. BTW...my Dovo came from SRD and is plenty sharp, I just sucked at shaving at first.

45auto likes this.
  3. 7055

7055 Active Member

I find straights, in a way, easier than the DEs. There's something awkward about using DEs.

4. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

I started my traditional shave journey with a VdH kit and a straight razor 3 ish years ago. I started to dabble in DE razors after nine months of good shaves with a straight. I prefer the straight razor to any of my DE razors and I have amassed a good collection of modern and vintage. 95% of my shaves are completed with a straight razor.
    I have trouble at times with the DE and wanting to use pressure. With a straight I tend to let the razor so the work with little or no pressure.
    I do stretch the skin for both straight and DE razor shaves and can get good results with both.

I did not start because of any movie but I do seem to notice more now.

5. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I jumped in with straights because I was getting requests in my leatherworking to make strops, and wanted to be able to test them. I bought a "shave ready" straight off eBay and soap and a brush and jumped in. It didn't go well. I put the straight away for a year, and went back to carts. After a year, I got a vintage DE, and a few new soaps. After a year with DE, I went to straights. I still use DE sometimes, especially when traveling but my primary method is using a straight. I get good shaves with a straight, and my DE skills have gotten much better since using straights.

45auto likes this.
  6. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
  7. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    It is all about adjusting the variables....

I will also tie in your other two threads about grinds and stropping

See using a SR gives you the most ability to adjust the shave to you personally ..

Size
    Grind
    Angles
    Hones
    Strops
    and a few others I am forgetting to mention :)

All this can be adjusted to suit the individual and their beard and face..

This however is also a double edge sword (pun intended) because for a beginner all that variation adds to the learning curve too :(

This is one of the reasons you see the acronym YMMV so often with SR shaving, it really is true, because you simply keeps adjusting the variables until you dial in the closest most comfortable shave possible for you... :p

8. RezDog

RezDog Well-Known Member

DE razors scare the pants off of me. I went from a Schick injector to a straight and then cartridges, then to a bread and then back to a straight. All over the short span of 20ish years. I have tried many many razors. I think Glen and the others summed it up fairly well. I suggest starting with straights somewhere in the middle. Middle size, 5/8 or 6/8, middle grind, half or full hollow, but the most important factor of all is going to be a truly shave ready blade. It has taken me some time to perfect my straight shave, but I doubt there could be a better shave out there, and I love the process. Shave zen beats a shaving chore every time. If you are really into whatever means you use to get the best shave possible then you are doing it right.

bdalemauger likes this.