Difference between French and Italian croaps/soaps?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Salty Belle, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Salty Belle

Salty Belle Well-Known Member

Researching online I've seen some softer soaps (usually in some type of container) described as French or Italian style. What is the difference?

2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

My understanding—and this may be a simple generalization and perhaps gross generalization— is the Italian soft soaps focus highly on the performance —ease of lathering, duration of lather, no irritation, etc—whereas the French-style is primarily concerned and marketed on the use of all natural ingredients (often shea butter/karité, or example) to create a quality soft soap. French scents tend to be more herbal and floral; Italian herbal and citrus. There are, of course, exceptions. Both are typically excellent products.

3. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Nice post, I was wondering the difference myself. Best I could come up with is that French tend to be lavendar scented and the Italian ones tend to be almond/marzipan scented.

Omelmad likes this.
  4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

you are spot-on about the french and their lavender scent! And those Italians DO have a thing for almonds….
    SafariScreenSnapz357.jpg

LevelupShaves and richgem like this.
  5. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Wow... I haven't had an amaretto in years... yum.

6. Salty Belle

Salty Belle Well-Known Member

Thanks HR and Richard! I'm playing with some recipes and I've been wondering!

richgem likes this.
  7. natal000

natal000 Active Member

IMO the difference is Italian soaps offer ease of lather and french soaps have great scents and skin care ingredients. That is not to say that both types do not offer both.

8. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

I think italian soaps are made for people with thick beard too. So they have a good softening effect

9. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

I disagree with all the above, except, of course, that Disaronno is really, really good.

I believe the difference is in the process of making the soap. All of the French soaps I like use the "Marseille" soap manufacturing process. The only Italian soap I know of that uses this process is Volabra.

I attribute the difference in the Lavender scents between French and Italian soaps to a difference in the type of Lavender used. Most French soaps use 'Lavundula x intermedia (provence)" , while most french soaps use "Lavundula x intermedia (Grossa)". Each produces a slightly different scent from the other.

Mr. Shaverman likes this.