difference

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by bg42, Jan 24, 2008.

1. bg42

bg42 New Member

could someone explain the difference between the Fat boy ,9 position and the thin handled equivelent I wish to buy one for my son and they are both on ebay at the moment
    Kind regards peter

2. Padron

Padron Active Member

Hi Peter,

To my knowledge they are the same and offer the same adjustment features with the only difference being one has a more slender handle and it is a bit longer than a Fatboy.

I don't have one in front of me now to make a better comparison, I hope that helps.

Neale

3. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Well, there is a slight difference in the head design as well, where the Slim has a lower profile, and probably provides for a slightly gentler shave on the equal setting to the FatBoy. The profile of head of the FatBoy is more or less the same as the flaired SuperSpeeds of the 50's.

I bet someone will correct me if I'm wrong ;)

EDIT:
    As much as I like the FatBoy, they are starting to go at ridiculous prices on ebay. The Slim is a very good razor. Both will last him a lifetime and a half! I say that is one of the best presents he'll ever get, whichever you choose. And it's a safe bet they will increase in value over time!

4. DMS

DMS New Member

The Slim does have a lower profile head. I have a couple of each and enjoy them both, but for me the Slim is easier to get great results with.

The styling and mass of the Fatboy has a lot of appeal and feels good in the hand but I think you can make a pretty good case that Gillette improved on it with the model that replaced it - the Slim Adjustable.

5. bg42

bg42 New Member

Thanks very much for the info sorry to be a pest ,but where would I be able to obtain a good selection of blades
    kind regards Peter

6. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

No problem! Just ask away! I'm only happy to help [if I can]!

In THIS thread there is an excellent discussion on blade samplers.

7. Why are Fatboy's so popular ? I watched one sell for over $100 on ebay.

Lee

8. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

They're "rarer" than the Slims as there were less of them made.

9. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

And it's the first adjustable from Gillette [, I believe].

Peronsllay I like the weight of the FatBoy and the slightly more aggressive shave.. But then I like the Futur with a Feather-blade too ;)

Recently the prices for the FatBoy has skyrocketed on ebay... I wish I could find a bucketfull of them to sell :p

10. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

I wish I could just find ONE to shave with without costing me an arm and a leg ;)

11. That make sense

12. Hi there Peter,
    I recently picked up a slim for my son, and it's an excellent choice for what you want it for. It can be set as gentle or aggressive as the user wants, and is a very nice shaver in general.
    The handle's a tiny bit longer (maybe half an inch) than a fatboy, and also a bit 'slimmer' which is where the name comes from I believe. That would be a good place to start.
    The fatboy is a bit different in feel than the slim. It has a slightly shorter, but 'fatter' handle that I personally like. The pattern's different, and easier to grip for me. In addition, the razor is a bit heavier, and the weight seems to be distributed differently, with more weight towards the head. That results in more of the razor actually doing the work, which I like.
    I'd been using a slim for 3-4 months before trying a fatboy 5-6 weeks ago, so I have a pretty clear reference point on the slim. Many members have made this their favorite go to razor, and I'd highly recommend that type as a first DE. Yes, as a bonus, they do usually sell for less than a fatboy. Either would work well for your son.
    Hope that helps a bit,
    Martin

Oh...the other razor to look at would be a 'super adjustable', which has the longest handle of any Gillette I think. Black handle and silver head, and also a very nice shaver. Another good introductory razor that shaves nicely, and shouldn't be too expensive.

13. bg42

bg42 New Member

Thank you all for the advice ,its much appreciated ,I won the slim on ebay today $15 or there abouts thanks again
    Kind regards Peter

14. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Congratulations on a great buy! Now, you only need to get your son a blade sampler too to make the perfect gift! ;)

15. bg42

bg42 New Member

I did I got him enough to last years
    Thanks again all
    Kind regards Peter

16. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

years ain't enough ;) Go centuries :D

17. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Definately a good thread with useful info

18. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Okay, scrap that. It seems like I have a Fatboy on the hook. There are some very helpful people active on this board :D

19. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Yeah! There are some really awesome people around here! Congratulations!

20. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Thanks very much - It's not 100% definitive yet but 99,9% ;)

I'll let you guys know about any difference I notice to my Slim Adjustable as soon as I get the Fatboy.