Dirty Bird brush scuttle - any opinions on that ?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by CHSeifert, Jan 23, 2013.

1. CHSeifert

CHSeifert Active Member

Hola Hola Brush Amigos :cool:

I already own a very nice pottery scuttle, which I use for soaking my brush before the shave and for keeping the lather warm between my passes. But since I'm a face latherer exclusively now, I don't need a big scuttle for that and I also have a problem with the brush sometimes falling into the water while soaking, which for my 5-6 wooden handled and genuine horn brushes is not that great.

So it was about time I got myself a dedicated brush scuttle and why not buy the best of the best - the brush scuttle from Dirty Bird Pottery in the US of A :biggrin:

Has anyone any experience with this brush scuttle ?
    I got the blue rim on spice, and had $28 on my PayPal account, so felt I paid next to nothing for it, really :tongue:

It looks quite good IMHO - hope to get it within a month or so delivered to Denmark from the US, she has to hand made it first.....

[​IMG]

2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I don't know as she is the best, but a request from a customer for a custom piece led to a revolution in scuttle design and ushered in the era of the modern scuttle. Everything I've read about the brush scuttle has been positive, and I know that it was something long desired by face latherers. You should be able to find some reviews over on B&B, as Dirty Bird has an almost cult-like following among some of the members there.

3. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

I've got the same one and love it with my Futur Silvertip brushes and the other longer handled brushes like the Polo Simpsons or even Persian Jar. It does not work well with the Stubby/Chubby or other shorter and smaller brushes. This Scuttle seems almost custom made for the Futur badger brush IMHO.

4. Weishi Warrior

Weishi Warrior Well-Known Member

Great looking scuttle Claus!

5. oldtrout

oldtrout Well-Known Member

Why on Earth would you post that brush scuttle picture?:angry019:
    Now we all want one!
    Thank you.

6. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

I have a normal Robert Becker scuttle, its great but the Dirty Bird stuff does look great, every item looks fantastic and I only seem to see good stuff about there products, does the one on the right look a bit too narrow for your brush's Claus?
    Im sure a normal cup would do the job, but if I had a bush collection as fine as yours I'd want to get something more fitting like that.:)

7. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Never used the brush scuttle, however my Dirty Bird original is a beautiful piece of artwork and worth the wait IMO. Like the others, I've only seen praise for the brush scuttle though, I just don't face lather enough to really use it.

8. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Very nice.

9. CHSeifert

CHSeifert Active Member

I got a tip from a guy (Amir) who custom ordered this one piece design from Julie @ Dirty Bird. A little bit larger 1-piece brush scuttle in blue, cost me only $5 extra to order this one :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

That's a very nice traditional look, great choice.

11. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member

I d' like to ask: is convenient a such tall scuttle ?
    The " V " shape and the small area in the bottom does not make the lather to "clime up" ?

12. CHSeifert

CHSeifert Active Member

It's a dedicated brush scuttle, not a regular scuttle.
    You create the lather in a regular scuttle, a brush scuttle is only for two things:
    1. Soaking your brush in warm water before the shave
    2. keeping the lather in the brush and the brush itself warm during the shave.

Brush scuttles are for face latherers, that create the lather on the face directly and NOT in a bowl/scuttle

Doryferon and JRod22 like this.
  13. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member

Enjoy it !

:eatdrink047:

14. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Claus that pic makes me want one, and to start face lathering more :p

15. castrobabble

castrobabble Member

My wife ordered me a Dirty Bird scuttle in December and I got it last week. I call it the Stallone[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bristle Me, ohpaos and Jason1977 like this.
  16. Jason1977

Jason1977 Active Member

That is exactly what I have, except it's blue & it's not spiderwebbed, it's spiral coiled. Basically, fill in the spiderweb indentations & it's my scuttle exactly. I love it, I've been using it for a few years now. I love it!!!

17. gunslinger1108

gunslinger1108 Active Member

I want one now... Those are great looking.

Bristle Me likes this.
  18. LookingGlass

LookingGlass Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  19. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

Very, very nice. Julie certainly is an accomplished artist.
    I've been trying to decide for months now about scuttles, etc.
    This may have pushed me over the edge.

Thanks for posting Claus!