Dirty Bird Scuttle

Discussion in 'Shaving Bowl/Scuttle Reviews' started by lamontqsanford, Dec 30, 2008.

1. lamontqsanford

lamontqsanford New Member

I purchased the DB scuttle with the intent to lather in it and keep my lather toasty warm.

Quality is top notch. It is a solid, one piece design and Julie really made a great looking scuttle. The ridged design on the inside helps in the lathering process and Julie will make vertical or horizontal ridges if you ask.

Weight is also good. This mug has some good heft to it but it feels comfortable when holding it in your hand.

Shape is great if you just want a warmer. I wanted a warmer and lather bowl so I deducted some because the shape is too small to lather in. This is not a fault of Julie. She desinged a scuttle and I knew this going in. She has since designed one that is suitable for lathering but it is a 2 piece.

Heat retention is awesome. I usually filled mine up with piping hot water and then took my shower. After the shower I dumped the scuttle and refilled with piping hot water. My shave usually lasts 15-20 minutes and my lather stayed toasty warm for the entire shave.

Julies price is in line with the rest of those potters that make shaving mugs.

Overall I wouldn't buy this particular model again. Not because of quality but because I don't like the idea of having one mug to lather and another to warm my lather. If you are looking for just a warmer this is the scuttle for you.

2. grottolord

grottolord New Member

Lathers well for me.

I use my dirty bird everyday, i fill it with boiling water from my $10.00 target water heater, and the lather is almost too hot, all shave long
    i am able to lather in the bowl without any trouble at all , try to first swirll one way then after a min swirl the other way , no probs, keeps the water and the lather piping hot,
    i couldnt be more happy with my DIRTY BIRD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Grottolord

3. Gelf Lover

Gelf Lover Member

I got one of Julie's 1.5 sized 2-piece scuttles and am very pleased. I soak the scuttle in a sink full of hot water while I take a shower then I drain everything and then fill the scuttle with fresh hot water. I can lather in the top bowl and I don't have to deal with the weight of the scuttle then drop the top piece back on top and the lather is nice and hot in less then a minute.

This scuttle holds quite a bit of water and even with the 2 piece design it hold the heat for a long time. Like I said before I'm very happy with my scuttle and for anyone looking for one I highly recommend getting a Dirty Bird.